PDA

View Full Version : A few FB observances....maybe bugs?

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 06:28 PM
First, the Yak3's and LA's 20mm SHVAK cannons seem to not have gravity effects or distance properly modeled. I've noticed that the Yak3's cannon fires almost perfectly straight with no drop-off until like 3km+ or so when the shells disappear.

In comparison to a Hurricane MkIIc with 20mm Hispanos, that have a higher muzzle velocity than SHVAKs with a bit lighter projectile, the Hurri's shells seem to disappear at <1km and have noticeable drop-off and gravity effects. Anyone else notice this?

Second, I was laughing hard when I noticed that you could external pad (F7) a ground object like a tank or parked plane and see an arrow with icons on, but no arrow appears over a ship. Why I found this interesting is that (F7) WILL put an arrow over a bailed and parachuting pilot, lol./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Last, I know the patch will change allot of things, but the scoring system needs a little overhaul. We have to stop this land-one-bullet-get-the-kill-as-the-plane-is-going-down-in-flames crap. It just isn't natural./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I think the scoring improved slightly in FB, compared to IL2, but there are still some weird quirks like spawn kills against teammates, that are unintentional./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 06:28 PM
First, the Yak3's and LA's 20mm SHVAK cannons seem to not have gravity effects or distance properly modeled. I've noticed that the Yak3's cannon fires almost perfectly straight with no drop-off until like 3km+ or so when the shells disappear.

In comparison to a Hurricane MkIIc with 20mm Hispanos, that have a higher muzzle velocity than SHVAKs with a bit lighter projectile, the Hurri's shells seem to disappear at <1km and have noticeable drop-off and gravity effects. Anyone else notice this?

Second, I was laughing hard when I noticed that you could external pad (F7) a ground object like a tank or parked plane and see an arrow with icons on, but no arrow appears over a ship. Why I found this interesting is that (F7) WILL put an arrow over a bailed and parachuting pilot, lol./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Last, I know the patch will change allot of things, but the scoring system needs a little overhaul. We have to stop this land-one-bullet-get-the-kill-as-the-plane-is-going-down-in-flames crap. It just isn't natural./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I think the scoring improved slightly in FB, compared to IL2, but there are still some weird quirks like spawn kills against teammates, that are unintentional./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 07:05 PM
about the scoring system, there was another space sim game that had a good online scoring system. i think the last guy who shot the vehicle would get the kill, but an assist would be given to the guy who shot him before the killer (if there was one.) if there was more than one assist'er, the one who scored the most damage would get the assist. maybe assists would get some 50 points, kills would get 100 as usual.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes, assists would be a good thing. I like that idea.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Did you also notice the 20mm cannons on the La7, arn't very effective?

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/hartm1-2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:09 PM
BTW, I tested the above ranges by spawning in multiplayer and firing off of the field in each plane, while observing relative distances and trajectory from a zoomed-out F2 view.

I don't have actual numbers, but the Yak3 cannon definitely shoots about 3x farther than the Hurri's Hispanos. Same for the LA's SHVAKS. SHVAKS seem to not drop off at all during that entire 3KM+ flight in the air before disappearing./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Yes, Buzz, I think I did notice that. I'm going to hop in my old favorite the LA5FN and test out the SHVAKS, compared to an LA7s, for range and effectivity.

I'm also going to look at other SHVAK 20mms in other planes. I can't see how a SHVAK can shoot 3x farther than a Hispano, which has higher muzzle velocity and a slightly lighter projectile than the SHVAK.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Here's one of the tables I've been looking at:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-pe.html

Most tables I've seen say approx the same.

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:22 PM
I don't know if the La5FN is any different. It seems all the La's are weak in cannon power. I've put 10 rounds into a Fw190 without leaving a mark.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/hartm1-2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Oops, for projectile weight, I was looking at the wrong column...the Hispano has a 130g projectile compared to a SHVAK's 95g projectile.

Muzzle velocity is higher in Hispano ~880 compared to ~780 of SHVAK. The projectile difference of 35g means the projectile should travel 3x farther and stay perfectly straight?/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Message Edited on 06/27/0303:23PM by SlickStick

XyZspineZyX
06-27-2003, 08:25 PM
I do recall doing some heavy plane damage in an IL2 LA5FN. The 20mms packed quite a punch with good convergance and close shooting.

I do notice the FB LA's 20mms seem weaker than I remember the LA5FN's being in IL2. Maybe these things are being looked at in the patch.

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 01:15 AM
20mms definitely weaker in FB. However, I heard all cannons were being remodeled in patch.

edit: was playing a night mission and noticed the trajectory drop off of the SHVAK. I could clearly see the tracers arcing towards earth.

However, the distance a SHVAK shell travels and how far in a straight line can't be right, when compared to a Hispano.

Message Edited on 06/28/0312:53AM by SlickStick