PDA

View Full Version : advice for rudders in 4.02 needed

Lord_Rhah
10-24-2005, 10:52 AM
A few questions on rudders, especially in 4.02.
First, is there anyway i can change the conf. file to adjust the "force" of the rudders in game? I dont have pedals, or a twist stick, so im using keys (i think im mainly using "full rudder left/right, havent got the hang of the trim settings yet).
in 4.01 i had no problems using the rudders this way, but in the new patch its practically impossible to use them without veering all over the place.

not sure if this is related, but im also experiencing the wobble effect. I'm going to try out some of the stick settings i've seen on the forum, and hopefully this will help. (reinstall didnt)

DaimonSyrius
10-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Lord_Rhah:
I dont have pedals, or a twist stick, so im using keys (i think im mainly using "full rudder left/right, havent got the hang of the trim settings yet).

If you need to use the keyboard for rudder, have a look at the controls assignements in-game. Besides the 'Full Rudder' ones, you can use 'Rudder Left' (default: ,) and 'Rudder Right' (default: .) together with 'Rudder Neutral' (default: /). Those work like 'clicks', small step increments to left or right, plus you can center it quickly. They are actual rudder controls, not rudder trim wich has its own assignments. That would be the way to apply the amount of force you need using the keyboard. You can map them to other keys at your convenience, of course.

Cheers,
S.

Lord_Rhah
10-24-2005, 11:25 AM
great, that sounds like what im looking for. cheers

one more question, if this method works in steps, is there anyway to increase/decrease the increments of each step?

DaimonSyrius
10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't think the steps can be adjusted within IL-2... I guess the only way to regulate the force you do on the rudder is by tapping the keys more quickly/slowly, and more/less keystrokes. I think some posters on this forum have mentioned that they were flying OK with keyboard only, no joystick at all (maybe it was Xiola? rings a bell but I'm not sure). So apparently it works, even if it looks quite cumbersome to me.

With more modern joysticks and their profiling software, you could assign the keys to a slider, rotary knob, axis... But then that joystick would come with a twist handle, or some other specific axis for rudder, so there wouldn't be a need for the keyboard assignments anyway.

Bearcat99
10-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Try to get a stick.. they aent that pricey.... and you wont regret it.