PDA

View Full Version : Joystick help & advice

Sub_Boy
05-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

With regards to my previous "Joystick glich" post about guns fireing on thier own when useing the throttles at low speed, I believe I solved the problem, and would like to share it with others who may be experiencing joystick glich's of thier own.

After going through efforts to resolve the problem from starting from scratch reassigning keys, buttons, and reinstalling software to find it didn't help, I as a last resort went on saiteks site, and to the downloads section than updated drivers, and SST software for my saitek aviator, sure enough the drivers, and software included on the install disc were out dated.
In fact the new "profile editor" is a completly different looking screen as far as setup of assignments is concerned.

At least so far my aviator is now working as it should, and of course I can't speak for other joystick models.
I just thought I'd share this with others who may be having simaler problems with the aviator.

Two questions though, which key is used for taking screen shots, and which axis do I use to adjust roll, depending on the plane, some are worse, some are better, but they allways pull to the left, and slowly start to roll.
Any set up suggestions there, thanks.

Cheers.

FoolTrottel
05-26-2008, 11:55 AM
which key is used for taking screen shots,
The one labeled 'PrintScreen' or maybe 'PrtScr' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Screenshots are stored in the game's folder, named GRAB0000.tga, where the numbers vary, well, are increased with each next shot. (Restarting IL2 will start it at 0000 again though)

and which axis do I use to adjust roll
The Roll-axis? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif
You are probably experiencing engine torque...
Use Aileron Trim to neutralize it, and the stick itself for aircraft that do not have Aileron Trim....

Have Fun!

Wildnoob
05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
and with me, it's pulling for the rigth. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

FT, I remember you say to me not long ago that after a determined patch some kind of bug was puted on the sim and turned the torque off function was not working anymore.

with me, I can see that the slip ball is not centered. but, this started to happen, and it was yes, with the 4.08, not when I update to another patch in the past.

it's really strange, very strange. even turning the torque off, the problem remain. anyway, if the game as in fact a bug wich prevent the torque for being turned off, really there's nothing I can do in try turned it off to see if it's in fact torque the problem I have.

before this started to happen, I just flow with the stick a bite deslocated to the rigth, and was enough to solve any problem with torque and make me fligth straigth without any problem.

Sub_Boy
05-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks FoolTrottle, I'll try that, only had the game about a week, as far as plane roll goes the Hurricane is the worst so far, the Spit one of the best, if I hit autopilot it corrects the roll problem instantly.
I thought it would be an adjustment in the IL-2's axis adjustment screen.

Cheers.

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Sub_Boy:
Thanks FoolTrottle, I'll try that, only had the game about a week, as far as plane roll goes the Hurricane is the worst so far, the Spit one of the best, if I hit autopilot it corrects the roll problem instantly.
I thought it would be an adjustment in the IL-2's axis adjustment screen.

Cheers.

No, this is quite simply how a plane flies. You take a light airframe and put an engine in the front rotating at high rpm with about 1000 horsepower and there will be a little bit of torque rolling the aircraft. There is also a phenominon called gyroscopic precession, if you've ever played with a gyroscope as a kid you may have noticed that if you move the thing one direction it will tilt in a different direction 90 degrees to the motion you made, same thing with a spinning engine and prop. all this info is out there, just google gyroscopic proccession and torque roll and you'll find tons of info that will explain it better than I have.

FoolTrottel
05-26-2008, 01:11 PM
FT, I remember you say to me not long ago that after a determined patch some kind of bug was puted on the sim and turned the torque off function was not working anymore.
Wildnoob, I was wrong. The Torque switch still works okay.
I just tried it:

QMB, Hurricane.

Switched Torque on:
- at 100% throttle setting, the hurri rolls to the left.
- at 10% throttle setting, the hurri rolls to the right.
That's yer torque working. Somewhere around 60% (+/- 7%) throttle it should be goin' level.

Switched Torque off:
- No difference in rolling when the throttle is increased, or decreased.
(It ever so slowly rolls to the right http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif but that might be my stick, or my rudder not being trimmed out, as I kinda ignored that item in this 'test')

So, still looks like you've got a stick issue... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
(Have you ever tried to remove the rudder assignment from that twist axis of your stick?)