PDA

View Full Version : Do you have rituals?



Billy_BigBoy
03-28-2008, 05:28 AM
In other words: are you superstitious when flying online?

in RL lots of pilots had (have) their rituals before going into the air. Some took a leak against the tail (not recommended with your rig) had to knock on their parachute or carried coins.

When you go up against other simmers, do you have a ritual? For myself I am not aware of any.

MEGILE
03-28-2008, 05:42 AM
CTRL+F1. always.

DKoor
03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Megile:
CTRL+F1. always. http://www.index.hr/forum/smilies/icon_lol.gif

SeaFireLIV
03-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Interesting question, as some real life pilots did have the odd ritual.

The only ritual I ever had was to make sure my daughter wasn`t going to bug me in the middle of an online flight...

BSS_AIJO
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
I have gotten into the habit of running through the full motion of all the controls a few times. I have saitek gear and after a reboot or not playing for a few days the center will have drifted and or the edges will be wonky. Running them through the full motion gets them to recalibrate *usually* that way I don't make a total *** of myself on takeoff.

Then I light up a smoke.

BSS_AIJO

roybaty
03-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I do that as well, sometimes my system fails to recognize my rudder pedals. Sucks to be on a T/O roll and discover you have no yaw control.


Originally posted by BSS_AIJO:
I have gotten into the habit of running through the full motion of all the controls a few times. I have saitek gear and after a reboot or not playing for a few days the center will have drifted and or the edges will be wonky. Running them through the full motion gets them to recalibrate *usually* that way I don't make a total *** of myself on takeoff.

Then I light up a smoke.

BSS_AIJO

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Crack a beer.

Deedsundone
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Only noise... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aWVH_VaPSE) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Warrington_Wolf
03-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Billy_BigBoy:
In other words: are you superstitious when flying online?

in RL lots of pilots had (have) their rituals before going into the air. Some took a leak against the tail (not recommended with your rig) had to knock on their parachute or carried coins.

When you go up against other simmers, do you have a ritual? For myself I am not aware of any. I don't have a ritual for simulator flying, but I have one when I'm flying for real.
As I'm getting ready before I fly, making sure that I have all the things I need (checklist and kneepad, fuel tester, headset ect) I will play Creedence Clearwater Revival on my CD player. As I don't have time to play the entire CD I just play a few of my favourites, they are as follows.

1. Fortunate Son (featured in Die Hard 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I
2. Who'll Stop The Rain (see sig)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA
3. Travelin' Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcJ5WQSamQ
4. Long As I Can See The Light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFP5afPweVI&feature=related
If time permits I also play
Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2pVPWGYMQ
I usually end up whistling either Who'll Stop The Rain or Long As I Can See The Light as I'm heading to the aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif.

Billy_BigBoy
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV
The only ritual I ever had was to make sure my daughter wasn`t going to bug me in the middle of an online flight...

Come to think of it... That's a good one.
And it works I must add. At least, the change of a 100% crash of an uncontrolled plane will reduce by a factor of 100. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BTW, this also applies to the girlfriend/wife/your mother/cat

DuxCorvan
03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I always do it with a hottie thrice before I fly, and twice more while flying.

buzzsaw1939
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Turning on the TIR!... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Cajun76
03-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I chant:

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die."

mortoma
03-30-2008, 06:31 PM
So Billy BigBoy, are you insinuating that those of us who fly offline can't have rituals?? Why would you have to be an onliner to have specific habits?? Oh, I guess us offliners just don't count as usual.

Loco-S
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I always check I have plenty of fuel, plus 1 hour just in case, make sure there are no blue stains around the engine fuel lines, filter and pump...I paid dearly once, never again.

crucislancer
03-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
The only ritual I ever had was to make sure my daughter wasn`t going to bug me in the middle of an online flight...

Yup. First thing I do is make sure the kids are having their nap or it's after they go to bed or early in the morning when no one is up. Check my X52 to make sure it's working properly, and kill all unnecessary programs. Then, when I hit the join game button, I run out to the balcony for a smoke, which I usually finish right when the briefing screen shows up. Also, I make sure I have something to snack on and drink.

Billy_BigBoy
03-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
So Billy BigBoy, are you insinuating that those of us who fly offline can't have rituals?? Why would you have to be an onliner to have specific habits?? Oh, I guess us offliners just don't count as usual.

Oh come on.
Of course this counts for off-line too. Most of the time I fly off-line myself.
The only differences are that IA ave no rituals for sure, at least not until BOB, and there is a pause button just incase the little boy wants his dad (or the wife).
But lets be frank, on-line is man2man. It's all about pride. Everybody needs a bit of luck now and than.

On the other hand. Flying a campagne off-line is for me as thrilling and exciting as an on-line furball.

That's my 2 cents, no offense.

ARCHIE_CALVERT
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
I only play on-line after I finish my pre-flight rituals, or I can't find anything better to do... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Consequently, I'm never on-line... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif