PDA

View Full Version : Internet problem

M-dahaka
09-30-2009, 06:35 AM
First of, sorry to ask you this here, but i have no idea what's wrong and i know people in here give quick help, so here's the problem:
I'm at a house where i have to share internet with a few students. This internet is a 54 Mbit/s connection, which is pretty fast. I tried it out and started downloading some steam games at 1.6 mbps, but i forgot to stop the download and now we've got a warning that we've reached 90% of the limit. I promised i wouldn't download here any more, they said it wasn't a problem since it's the end of the month anyway.

But today, i've found a problem, don't know if it's related, but when i surf the net, it seems my donwload speed is limited to 5 kbps now. I tought it was because of the 10% that was gone as well, but i immediatly stopped download when we hit the 90%, so i don't know why it's so slow. Now, before you all go: "your limit is reached, wait till the end of the month", i've gotta say: Steam STILL downloads at 1.6 mbps. When i try to watch a youtube movie, task manager says it uses 0.1% of my 54 Mbit/s connection, so it takes 50 minuts to load a 3 minute youtube movie. when i download with steam however, it says it uses 10% of the connection, which is similar to the speed of the steam servers here in belgium.

I tried fixing this in all the ways i could think of, but no success. Any advice from you guys? Could it be that the other students limited my speed and steam can bypass it somehow? Thnx in advance!

the amolang
09-30-2009, 06:46 AM
uhhhh... i don't play with pc's too much and I hate steam. so I never use it. sorry I can't help but I know there are some PC users that are on these forums quite a lot...

M-dahaka
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
well, i'm sure there's someone else who can help me then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

caswallawn_2k7
09-30-2009, 10:13 AM
you don't really give any1 a lot to go on, if you are sharing a internet connection the 54mb reported on your PC is most likely for the network adapter and not the actual internet connection. (the actual internet speed could be slower but you would only see this on the control page for the router)

then your other problem is if you have steam downloading it has a tendency to take all the available internet bandwidth slowing every other internet process to a stand still (this is why I mainly download when I'm at work or asleep since steam offers no way to gate the connection speed use)

another simple reason it could be slow is because you are on a shared internet connection if some1 else is using a lot of the connection it will stop you from using it.

M-dahaka
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
thnx for the response, but the 3 reasons you give me can't be because:
1) when i download with steam it gives me 1.6 mbps, which is much faster than i need to surf on the internet. Even if i just use a small part of those 56 mb, it's still good enough to watch a youtube movie. I have a 1.5 mbps connection at home, and even that is good for watching those, but here, i have fast internet.
2) I don't download stuff from steam and surf at the same time, i tested with steam and saw everything was ok there, but when i surf, it's slow.
3) It's been like this for 2 days now, and i we're with 6 people in this building. i know when there's nobody here, so i tried at a time when there was nobody, and still the same result.

thnx for the response!