PDA

View Full Version : Skidding

furyan65
06-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Does anyone know how to do this successfully in Il2-46?

Ive noticed the allies did it quite a bit in dogfights with the Japanese and Germans and it really threw the attacker off big time. How'd do this??

FoolTrottel
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
How'd do this??
Apply left rudder, and right aileron. (Or vice versa...)

Keep the wings level and your plane will be skidding through the sky... ('sideslipping') losing lots of speed in the process...

Once in a while I use it in IL2.
When in a slower plane (bomber) down low, it will take the enemy longer to shoot me down...(and if I'm lucky, one of my gunners has enough time to scare him off..)

Bearcat99
06-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I use it all the t time to bleed speed on landing or to slow down and spoil a bandis shot when I am high enough to recoup spome of the lost E.

Aaron_GT
06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
It's very useful on dogfight servers. The area until very close to the home airfield tends to be quite dangerous, so you can keep the speed up to around 250-300 mph until on the final then chop power and side slip like fury to bleed speed down to 100 mph as late as you dare.

K_Freddie
06-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, those were moderate replies... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

furyan65
06-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I use it all the t time to bleed speed on landing or to slow down and spoil a bandis shot when I am high enough to recoup spome of the lost E. Thanks all. Hi bear.

Thats good to know tbh, Ive come in for a hurried landing once in a while and have always wished the aircraft would or could slow down faster!! Cheers.

DKoor
06-13-2008, 05:13 AM
That slowing down thing works like a charm vs AI, especially during turns, experienced AI (aces, veterans) will hold their turn versus you quite good and even turning inside you and blasting you away if you fly on high speed. However, for some reason when you chop the throttle, they easily overshoot.

furyan65
06-14-2008, 06:43 AM
YES!! Ive just ried that tbh! They just over shoot and if youre in something that cant follow them well (lets say a Wildcat against even an early Zero) they'll get away. But they over shoot every time! Theyre F**ked if youre in a Coursair F4F or something. Good dogfights out in the open though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
06-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Another good one is a more extreme form of skidding called a negative knife edge.

Roll over on your side and apply opposite rudder and negative elevator at the right moment. Your opponent will assume that you'll be pulling to whichever side you rolled on and heading nose down but instead you do the opposite with nose going high and pushing away from your bank.

Timing is critical but like the skid the other guy should miss big time unless he anticipates the shot or you give him too much time to compensate.