PDA

View Full Version : I suck please help me...

neal8929
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Im trying to beat that mission under single missions, USN missions, Tulagi Attack. I cant beat it and I suck at this game so bad. I have a joystick but it seems that everything I try, the ai planes are too tough, they seem faster, and more agile than me. I even tried to destroy their airplane base, but the chances of me succesfully doing that, and fighting off the remaining fighters is so slim. Please give me tips, Im new to the whole flight sim thing.

Zeus-cat
05-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm not familiar with the mission you are talking about, but keep in mind that this sim tries to be as realstic as possible with a PC game. Don't expect to take on a lot of aircraft on your own and survive. In WWII the best pilots knew HOW to fight as well as WHEN to fight and when to avoid engaging the enemy.

Download my Straight From the Farm campaign if you need help learning how to takeoff and land. Don't expect to master this sim overnight; it takes a long time to get really good.

neal8929
05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Well thats another thing, Ill have 3 fighters on my tail, than I look at my map and see my team mates off somewhere on the map away from combat.

crucislancer
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
A Nugget's Guide...... (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645)

Take a look at the above link to a post, it will help you get started.

I haven't played the mission in question, but I'm pretty sure you are in either a Wildcat or a Hellcat, and your opponent is in A6M Zekes. Proper tactics are important if you want to complete the mission, or any mission, in one piece. In this case, don't turn with the Zekes, they can out turn you and get on your tail, and then you've had it. If you get a shot, take it, but if you miss, dive out of there. Also, use the TAB key to call your flight over to give you a hand. Hit TAB then 7, and they should come.

This game is pretty tough, heck I've been playing flight sims for years and it still hands me my *** on occasion, but it's very rewarding once you learn the basics.

I highly recommend playing around with the Quick Mission Builder. Set up a plane that you want to fly, but don't set up any enemies. Just fly around and get used to flying. When you feel comfortable, then add one enemy rookie, then two , and so on. There are a lot of planes to fly on both sides, and some have some interesting quirks, so it's best to be aware of them before you try to take on the enemy.

Also, I recommend Zeus-Cat's Straight From the Farm training campaign. I've been using it lately to get better at carrier landings.

Treetop64
05-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to reinforce that Nuggets Guide mentioned by Crucislancer. Read it.

This game is different. It takes a long while just to learn to fly properly, much less successfully complete tough missions. You have to be patient, but it pays off later.

Skycat_2
05-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Nobody else will suggest this, but ...

You're new to flightsims and to the IL-2 series. This suggests to me that you're also new to aircraft piloting (ie, engine management, etc.), air combat tactics, and aerial gunnery. You may have come to this genre to try something new, see stuff blow up, and generally be the hero in your own adventure.

Realistically, because you're new you're going to get killed a lot if you play "full-real" settings. The AI has very good skills and your F4-F3 Wildcat is easy meat for them if you charge right into the fight without knowing what you're doing.

Try turning off the vulnerability toggle on the difficulty panel. This will simply mean that you'll be impervious to bullets and flak, allowing you to develop your gunnery and gunnery skills. Fly like the enemy's bullets mean something though; evade when you know a bad guy is on your six.

There will be many forum members who will criticize my advice by saying that it is a gamer's approach or it won't make you appreciate the real experiences of WWII combat pilots. Whatever. I freely admit that sometimes I just want to take out my aggression on the enemy, so I turn on unlimited ammo and the invulnerability feature and I keep shooting until all the baddies are dead.

Zeus-cat
05-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Well thats another thing, Ill have 3 fighters on my tail, than I look at my map and see my team mates off somewhere on the map away from combat.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why are you in one place and your teammates in another. You need to stick together even if that means no combat this mission.

Actually, Skycat_2 has good advice in turning on unlimited ammo and invulnerability. However, you will only learn proper gunnery skills if you play like you have limited ammo. That means use short bursts and only take high probability shots.

-HH-Quazi
05-04-2007, 11:44 PM
And if the team mates you mentioned are of the AI variety, well, this is something that happens all the time. You might be better served by going online at some point & working with live bodies as team mates. Being able to communicate in real time using a comms program like TeamSpeak or Ventrillo really helps. There are many great squadrons out there that are willing to take new m8s like your self under their wing and help with proper training. Playing this sim offline is fantastic. But playing this sim online offers a whole new world in some sense also. Being able to vocally ask for someone to clear your six, or being able to come to the rescua of a m8 needing their six cleared is an awesome thing.

crucislancer
05-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well thats another thing, Ill have 3 fighters on my tail, than I look at my map and see my team mates off somewhere on the map away from combat.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why are you in one place and your teammates in another. You need to stick together even if that means no combat this mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's possible that he might be talking about another flight.

I just played the mission, it's a F4F USN mission. At some point 9 SBD show up at the starting point. He might be mistaking these for his own flight. I found my flight stayed fairly close during the mission.

Neal8929: A few things for the next time you play this mission. The primary objective is recon, but you are armed with 2 bombs and 2 droptanks. Just before you get to the objective, order you flight to drop tanks (TAB, 2, 7) When you are over the objective, you will get the mission complete message, go ahead and drop your bombs. I think there are only 3 Zeroes, but they will have the advantage of height and speed by then. Have your flight attack, and do your best to keep your speed up and gain altitude. Low & Slow = dead. Don't play the Zero's game. If he makes a tight turn or zoom climb, don't follow. If he dives,you have a chance.

Oh, you need to map key commands for:

Raise gear manually
Lower gear manually
Arrestor Hook

The F4F doesn't have mechanical landing gear, you have to crank it, hit key several times until you get the gear up/gear down message. The arrestor hook is for carrier landings.

Have Fun, and Good Hunting.

Nimits
05-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Actually, that is good advice. When I first started flying sims way back when (Aces of the Pacific, A-10 Tanker Killer, Red Baron, etc.), my friends and I often would fly with unlimited ammo and invulnerable settings. Even when I "graduated" to newer, more realistic sims such as European Air War and Pacific Air War: 1942, it was a while before I would dare to fly "full real." Getting your feet wet with relaxed settings is perfectly all right, and if all you want to do is fly offline for fun, nothing says you cannot stay there for a long time if that is what is fun for you.

smokestack1947
05-05-2007, 05:51 AM
neal8929...from one newbie to another. download and install "Zeus-cat's" training campaigns. they are a very BIG help in the learning curve. practice...practice...practice. i practice my take-offs and landing daily, then try a single mission also against a rookie enemy daily also. heck, i still, aafter almost, a month not any good at landings, but i am still trying.

good luck, and keep working at it

ShrikeHawk
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Sometimes you do get separated from your AI wingmen. You shouldn't, but it happens. If you have a zero on your 6 while "wingmanless", you should call for help (tab then 7), and lead your attacker to the AI wingmen. They will usually distract your attacker enough to draw him off.

Lots and lots of Practice in QMB is very valuable. I'm still spending a lot of time in it, and noticing positive results.

Good luck!