PDA

View Full Version : Will Assassin's Creed run on Windows 7?

Fr1ction
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and would like to know if anyone has gotten Assassin's Creed running on the same OS? I really want to buy this game but will not until I know that the game will run on Win 7 64bit.

Thanks for any help.

Vendetta11
08-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I am pretty sure it will.

But question for you- Where did you get the upgraded OS? I have Windows Vista 32 bit and I cannot wait to dump it.

Fr1ction
08-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I upgraded last week when it was released to MSDN subscribers.

Vendetta11
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Fr1ction:
I suppose I am too late and have to wait until October?

Blurzz
08-12-2009, 11:10 AM
It's a pretty safe bet that if it works on Vista it'll work on Windows 7.

Fr1ction
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
But does it run on Vista 64bit?

Fr1ction
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Vendetta11:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fr1ction:
I suppose I am too late and have to wait until October? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can buy a subscription from msdn http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-a...scriptionschart.aspx (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/subscriptions/subscriptionschart.aspx) but it is cheaper to wait until october if you only want 1 version of Windows.

caswallawn_2k7
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
@Ven: they are probly still giving the RC to any1 with a internet connection, they have been since about march. but to be honest windows 7 isnt that great. it's a minor upgrade (only a minor patch on the base code) and they removed a few vista features that people got anoyed with as they were too lazy to disable them. Vista to Windows 7 is the same as the change between Windows 98 and Windows ME.

as for the original question, no firm will support Windows 7 untill it is released the the general public as a fully compleate OS.

also taking a MSDN sub just for windows 7 is over kill it isnt that great and it costs a hell of alot less than a MSDN sub.

Raide
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
While nothing has been announced, I presume Windows 7 will be supported. I will have a chase up and see when the PC Specs are going to be announced, since that will set things 100% straight.

caswallawn_2k7
08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Raide:
While nothing has been announced, I presume Windows 7 will be supported. I will have a chase up and see when the PC Specs are going to be announced, since that will set things 100% straight.
jambo checked that a while back with his sources and they said the spec wasnt finnished. so I'm guessing they are still finishing optimising and stuff.

obliviondoll
08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
Vista to Windows 7 is the same as the change between Windows 98 and Windows ME.
Not from what I've heard. XP to Vista is more like 98 to ME.

98 was generally stable and functional. ME never was either. XP is generally stable and functional. Vista still isn't as the next OS is on the way to release. And from what I've heard, they've also cleaned up some backward-compatibility issues and improved the stability of the OS a lot. Some Vista-based games run better with Win7 because the system doesn't like Vista's driver's, but Windows 7 fixes them.

Fr1ction
08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Well to answer my own question, I couldn't wait any longer and went and bought the game. I am glad to say that it runs flawlessly on Windows 7.

caswallawn_2k7
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
Vista to Windows 7 is the same as the change between Windows 98 and Windows ME.
Not from what I've heard. XP to Vista is more like 98 to ME.

98 was generally stable and functional. ME never was either. XP is generally stable and functional. Vista still isn't as the next OS is on the way to release. And from what I've heard, they've also cleaned up some backward-compatibility issues and improved the stability of the OS a lot. Some Vista-based games run better with Win7 because the system doesn't like Vista's driver's, but Windows 7 fixes them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the reason it is the equiverlent of Windows 98 to ME is because they run the same base code, XP used kernel version 5.whatever, were wista is kernal number 6.0 and Win 7 is kernel version 6.1 meaning it is only a minnor patch to the base code used for vista and not a massive update like the change from XP to Vista. this is the reason some Vista drivers can install under Windows 7 but you can never get a XP driver to install under Vista without massivly editing it.

gameguru1987
01-17-2010, 01:25 PM
hey guys...

when i saw the specs....all my spec are fine....except the processor....
my video card also will support it although i have a intel one...
i am using windows 7 and its jus does not load...
a black screen comes n then jus hangs...i ve to ctrl+atl+del...so go further....when i do that i see the error msg saying the prog stopped working...
is it coz of windows 7..??
coz in the min requirements it says windows XP or vista ONLY...!!!
pl helo
cheers

Atkamon
01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I have Win7 64bit version, and the game runs fine.

gameguru1987
01-21-2010, 05:20 AM
hey guys..

i got the game up n running...
now ther is a new problem...
the game keep crashin from time to time....
n now if i have to enter Jerusalem its crashes all the time...
m not able to go front....

pl help
cheers

caswallawn_2k7
01-21-2010, 05:57 AM
@gameguru1987: that is a problem with pirate copies of the game and there is no fix for it.

Atkamon
01-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by gameguru1987:
hey guys..

i got the game up n running...
now ther is a new problem...
the game keep crashin from time to time....
n now if i have to enter Jerusalem its crashes all the time...
m not able to go front....

pl help
cheers

Buy the game, or don't play.

JuanCabrera2010
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I am having a problem with assassin's creed 1 installed in a windows 7 64 bit, I recently bought the original game I have the recommended specs regarding the hardware and I the game runs slow, my system is amd turion II M620 dual core 2.5Ghz, 4 gb ram, ATI HD4200 graphic card my video ram is 1.9 gb, anyone can help me with my problem, I already tried to lower all the graphic demand in the game menu plus I configured windows for best performace, I also used the turbo mode that comes with tune up utilities 2010 and nothing works the game still runs slowly.
Cheers
juancargts

bgacidburn
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
NO having bad problems I am runing windows 7 and
AMD phenom 8gs ram anyone got a patch?

jarvisrandall
08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I bought a new laptop with i7 160 MHz processor and 1GB video card with 6GB Ram. Assassin's Creed is the only game I have installed on this machine and I have had the machine for 3 days, experienced 8 crashes(this number directly corresponds to how many times I have tried to play the game). I get to "Leap of Faith" - swan dive into...crash...I have since removed the program from my computer - I bought the game when I was in Iraq in 2008/2009 and have yet to play it!! I am getting Ticked Off!!!!!! I have tried everything I can think of to try to get this game to work - I quit!! Windows 7 (64-bit) says the driver was incompatible and was stopped. I have tried repeatedly to find a better driver without success. Whatever happened to backwards programming?

koek8lik
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Tell me how! I have just tried to install AC on Windows 7; a screen opens, I hear the sounds, but no images.... just darkness, all black. Any idea why?

Thanks in advance Jan

Well to answer my own question, I couldn't wait any longer and went and bought the game. I am glad to say that it runs flawlessly on Windows 7.

AnthonyA85
09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Try running the game in Windows Compatibility mode and set it to XP or if you have the xp addon, use that.

To run in compatibility mode, navigate to the game's exe file, right click on it, go to Properties, and select the Compatibility tab, then check "Run in Compatibility mode" checkbox, and select Windows XP from the list.

(I'm not sure if i've wrote down the procedure right. The one I wrote is for XP users, it should be very similar for 7 users.)

yly3
09-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't think this helps but I am running AC1 and AC2 on a Dell Studio with W7 x64 . Didn't experience any problem and there was no need for tweeking . Just installed and played

comfortarku
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and would like to know if anyone has gotten Assassin's Creed running on the same OS? I really want to buy this game but will not until I know that the game will run on Win 7 64bit.

Thanks for any help.

Mr_Shade
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I play on Windows 7 64bit and AC1 / AC2 play great...

I suggest contacting support - if your PC meets the requirements - I will just point out that lap top versions of graphics cards may not always work as expected or be supported by the game.

Always check the requirements.

mandarin77
07-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:
I suggest contacting support - if your PC meets the requirements - I will just point out that lap top versions of graphics cards may not always work as expected or be supported by the game.

Just installed W7 64 bit Home Premium. Installed all three AC games available. Computer meets all specs. AC2 and ACB work great. AC1 does not display full screen correctly, looks like an offset window still showing the Start bar overlay at the bottom and the top and left bars of the program window.
Updated all the drivers to the latest version (ATI 11.6).
There is one small thing to note:
I did not install the games into "c:\Program Files (x86)\", I installed onto a second hard drive, basically d:\games\ubisoft\AC1.
Does this make the difference?

FiskMunk
07-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by mandarin77:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Shade:

Just installed W7 64 bit Home Premium. Installed all three AC games available. Computer meets all specs. AC2 and ACB work great. AC1 does not display full screen correctly, looks like an offset window still showing the Start bar overlay at the bottom and the top and left bars of the program window.
Updated all the drivers to the latest version (ATI 11.6).
There is one small thing to note:
I did not install the games into "c:\Program Files (x86)\", I installed onto a second hard drive, basically d:\games\ubisoft\AC1.
Does this make the difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried Alt + Enter?

Mr_Shade
07-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Indeed - it may be trying to run in a window..

It should be full screen - it certainly is on my Win7 setup.

If your still having issues, please remember you can also contact Ubisoft support directly - there are links in my signature.

iN3krO
07-17-2011, 09:15 AM
The game runs perfectly with me and i use w7 64x too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mandarin77
07-17-2011, 11:00 AM
What version of Windows 7 x64 are you using? Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate?

Did you allow it to install into the "Program Files (x86)" directory?

Thanks

Mr_Shade
07-17-2011, 11:18 AM
What version of Windows 7 x64 are you using? Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate?

Thanks Mines premium..

And installed to the default location, but since yours is running (albeit in a window) I don't think the install location is the issue.. Since if it was, I dont think it would launch at all...

Sounds like it needs forcing into full screen - have you tried the old skool method of Alt+enter ?

You should also check the in game graphics settings and any shortcuts you made on the desktop, incase there is a play in window option ticked.

mandarin77
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Okay, did some messing around.

1. Installing it in the "Program Files x86" directory made no difference.

2. Alt + Enter does work in getting it into full screen, but I still get BSOD errors (blue BSOD or black nothingness with audio). Still bad.

3. If I go into the game folder and run "Assassins Creed DX10" it continues to load incorrectly, but if I run "Assassins Creed DX9" it loads like it should in full screen.

4. Reloaded ATI drivers. Still bad.

Therefore, I'll look for some other driver that is not current (had MB audio driver problems at an earlier time, and they were causing problems even though I was using the HDMI off my video card), and if that doesn't work, I'll dxdiag to support.

Hope this helps anyone else with issues, and thanks for the forum help.

iN3krO
07-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Thanks

Ultimate

Does you gpu support dx10? it could be the problem.

Ac1 supported dx10 but Ac2/B doesn't support dx10/11 why? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Mr_Shade
07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Okay, did some messing around.

3. If I go into the game folder and run "Assassins Creed DX10" it continues to load incorrectly, but if I run "Assassins Creed DX9" it loads like it should in full screen.

4. Reloaded ATI drivers. Still bad.

It may be as posted above, your Graphics Card is not DX10 compatible?

Odd that the game runs fine under DX9 - if your GPU is a DX 10 card...

mandarin77
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Contacted Tech Support with my issue and three files:
dxdiag32.txt
dxdiag64.txt
and a text file from sysinfo - hardware drivers.

Response:
"AC1 is not supported on W7"
A sidenote from me here: they did not comment on any information in the dxdiag information if I could try a different driver for xxx.
So... thanks for nothing, there.

However, I have additional info to add.
1. I am using an XFX 5670 single slot 1GB DDR5. It is supposedly DX11 capable so I should have no issue here.
2. I noticed I have an unknown device in device manager. ACPI\AWY0001 Looking this up on the internet, it seems to be an AMD processor 'thing' that had an 'AMD processor driver' available from AMD for windows XP. I cannot seem to locate any information related to this for W7 or a 'AMD processor driver' for W7. There is mention that some games did not run correctly without the AMD proc. driver installed under XP.

So, of the people having issues with this same problem, do you also have an unknown device with this same label (right click on the device, properties, details)?

Those of you who have a working AC1 on W7, are you running AMD hardware or an intel board/chip? Any sort of help would be great, as I like the challenge of figuring this out!