PDA

View Full Version : Question about CH Pro Throttle USB

larshgf
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I was reading a review about CH Pro Throttle USB. Very postive, just one negative comment....

"The only issue I had during my time with the CH Products Pro Throttle USB was that it tended to slide around my desk a bit during heated moments of battle. A method of securing it to the desk would be most welcome. However, the sliding around did not interfere with my game to the extent that I would not recommend the product."

Have anybody experienced problems like the above mentioned with the CH Pro Throttle??

What about the CH Fighterstick, any problems with that "sliding around the disk"??

(just questions to make me relax just before I buy these products http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

BR
Lars

Capt.LoneRanger
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Well, compared to the heavy case of the Cougar HOTAS, yes, the CH Throttle can be moved around on the desk more easy. This is probably so, because the CH Throttle is a slider, the others are rotary levers. So, the natural axis to move the throttle is rather horizontally.

But practically the movement of the CH Throttle is minimal, as you usually have your hand lying on the lever to be able to reach the buttons. This weight is usually enough to keep it in place.
It can happen, though. I added 4 rubber-pads to the case - now it is rock-solid in place, even if you push the lever with no downforce at all.

The Stick is a completely other thing. You do not push the stick, but rather move it along the axis-movement. If at all, that would lead to flipping it over. I've never, ever managed to do this. You usually have a hand on the stick, when you move it. With the handrest on the stick, it is rather uncomfortable to not rest your hand on the stick - enough downforce for the normal operator.

larshgf
05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi Capt.Loneranger,

Thank you for your answer. Ive been reading so many reviews on these CH HOTAS gears. Allthough the price is in the high end they allways get good marks. So I guess its the gears Im going for....

BR
Lars

horseback
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I had some problems like that described, and my solution was simple: My primary gaming desk has a keyboard drawer, and I was in the habit of placing my joystick and throttle on that drawer, with the keyboard on the desk proper, right in front of the monitor. This allowed me to keep my hands at a comfortable level, but the keyboard drawer tended to slide in and out at inconvenient moments.

I bought a board about 20 inches square (approx 50cm by 50cm) and a half inch (1.25 cm) thick, and cut a couple of notches out of the top corners so that it looked like a fat upside down 'T' so that the narrower end fit into the keyboard drawer.

This kept the drawer from sliding in & out, but wait! - there's more - I then placed my Pro Throttle and Combatstick on top of the board, and moved them around until I found the most comfortable spots for me to operate them-but they were still a half inch too high. I then drew their outlines on the board, and cut those outlines out, with notches so their cables wouldn't pinch.

Putting the board on top of the keyboard drawer keeps it from moving around, and putting the controllers in the holes keeps them from sliding around and they are now always in the same place when I'm flying the friendly virtual skies.

A similar 'H' shaped frame can be placed around your Pro Pedals so that they are a comfortable distance from the wall and don't slide around so much.

cheers

horseback

larshgf
05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
That sounds like a good, reliable solution to this problem. Allthough many years has passed since i worked in the woodwork room of my old school http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

horseback
05-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Hopefully, you passed that course. I barely got through in middle school, and actually developed my hand-tool skills in the Navy and (Nerd alert) making scale model airplanes.

cheers

horseback