PDA

View Full Version : OT: I just got TIR4. Little help

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Just got it yesterday and today is my first day with it. I can see the promise in it just like I did when I first got rudder pedals and realize its going to take some time to get use to it. But I have been experiencing some little problems. So far I have tried the combat flight profile and I have been getting some sticking, especially when I look up and to the left and try to roll over to up and to the right. Im going to try the default profile now.

If anyone could offer some advice for a first time user or perhaps a good profile I would greatly appreciate it. Right now Im getting a bit frustrated with it.

Thanks S!

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
The first-time-TIR-use-frustration thing is normal. Most need to tweak their profile as well as their hardware placement to get the best tracking performance out of them.

First off, it sounds like your device is losing aspect on the reflectors (on your cap, head or clip). I'd open the software "view" tab and go ahead and check the tracking, virtual heads, and scales to make sure all is well there. If yes, then go to the profiles and change them to your liking.

For me, I usually widen the dead zones a bit and increase sensitivity on the ends of the scale...but that's just me.

Stick with it Havok, it's definitely worth it.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks. I see I double posted as well. I thought the first didnt take because it was slow to post. Mods please remove one of them if you can since I dont have the delete option for some reason.

Chivas
02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Like Thunderbolt says you can usually sus out any problem by comparing you Head movement window with the Tracking window. If you any extra lights in the Tracking window you have an unwanted light source. If you can't turn off the outside sourse click on Settings at the bottom of the Tracking window and click on Light Filtering. Move the slider until the unwanted light source disappears from the Window.

Also make sure your vector clip is over 2 ft from the the scensor. Mine is approx 3 ft. Also make sure the green lights are centered in the Tracking window. If you move your head and one of the green lights disappears you have an alignment problem or one of the vector clip reflectors is bent off plane.

~Salute~
Chivas

Chef-Scott
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Here is a link to the profile I use with TIR 3. I found this one very much to my liking as it was.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/04-community/community-profiles.html
Secone one: IL2/FS2004 - CharveL

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks I think I will try out the Charvel one.

MadBadVlad
02-13-2007, 01:53 PM
If you are using the trackclip pro setup make sure the tracker unit is placed well over to the left side of your monitor otherwise the IR beams will be out of range of the sensor when you look left.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks. Im using the vector right now. Im considering getting the Clip pro. How is it?

ElAurens
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
HaVoK, I'm using the Track Clip Pro and really like the fact that I don't have to wear a hat or visor in the house. It works flawlessly.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
HaVoK, I'm using the Track Clip Pro and really like the fact that I don't have to wear a hat or visor in the house. It works flawlessly.

RGR thats what I figured. Ill try to pick one of those soon. Thanks for the comments fellas.

SithSpeeder
02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I have TIR4 and have attached the vector cap clip instead to the top of my headset (just using twist ties--someone has called them "geek antlers" in another thread http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ).

Launch the software, go to View-->Tracking in the menus, and verify that as you move your head around that all three reflectors are centered and can clearly be seen by the sensor.

Then go to View-->Heads and see how the profile you are using works with it. It should work smoothly.

Messing with the profiles is fairly intuitive, IMO. But if you want to just grab some that others have, you certainly can do that. The one I use can be found at http://www.SimAce.com/Downloads.htm...about halfway down.

Give it a week or two and you won't be able to fly without it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. I just had to train myself to be a bit more still (my biggest problem was getting motion sick for the first 2-3 days. it turned out the profile was just too sensitive. I toned it down and put in a wider deadband).

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

badaboom.1
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Havok,Congrats on getting a great piece of hardware,once you get used to it and get it working correctly for you,you'll wonder how you enjoyed the sim without it!

When I first got mine I had a lot of problems with light interference,sunlight and lightbulbs,you can see if a light source is your problem by clicking on-view- then select -tracking-if you see any green or red with your camera reflectors thats going to cause you problems.You can filter out some light by going into your settings.I use the BoB WoV profile,this one works best for me.

SithSpeeder,thats a very cool idea!saves you from wearing a hat or vissor...neat!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Well I spent a few hours with and its working smoothly, but I just need to stop trying to use my hat switch.

Its been very a rocky start almost like when i first got pedals. Already I have been shot down mores times in a few hours then I have been in months!

Oh well I can take a few lumps if it means Ill get a better sim experience in the long run.

Right now Im trying to figure out how to get the right response time. Is the values what controls that? Like the higher the value the more the deadzone?

Thanks again guys.

VFS-22_SPaRX
02-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Havok,

Do you have any ntrk's recorded from your Online dogfights? If not, go into a server using your old viewing system and record some good ole fashioned TnB fights. Records some BnZs as well. Basically, get yourself a couple of well rounded ntrks with different flying styles.

Then, turn on your TrackIR. Go into IL2 and watch the tracks. BUT, turn on "manual view control". Now try to track the bandits you are fighting while playing back the tracks. Your view will be controled with the trackir.

This is a good learning tool as you do not have to worry about flying and fighting. All you have to focus on is Tracking your targets and keeping your SA. This also allows you to tweak your profiles to your liking quite easily.

Try to do this an hour or two a day and in no time you will be tracking targets without even thinking about it.

S~

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a good idea there Sparx. I will try that. Thanks.

horseback
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I went from TIR3 to TIR4 with the hatclip thingy myself, and never had a problem. I like to have a very small deadzone, myself, because I feel that it prevents what I call 'deadzone creep'- a tendency of your center to migrate to one side or the other of the screen.

One thing that I strongly suggest is that you assign F12 (center) and F9 (toggle TIR on/off) to any available HOTAS buttons you happen to have laying around (I'm assuming that you just 'fired' at least 4 POV hat switch positions...). Very useful things to be able to use on the fly IMO.

Mostly, though, I recommend practice. It's a very intuitive way to control your view, and becomes second nature very quickly.

cheers

horseback