PDA

View Full Version : Cant get 3d to function, HELP

Daemonbefore
01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Ok, I have spent the last 3 hours on the phone with tech support at samsung, ubisoft, and nvidea. IMO, no one seems to know what theyre doing.

I have a Samsung PN42B450 plasma 3d ready tv connected on the HDMI/DVI port to an xbox 360. The emitter from the Nvidea 3d kit is connected to the 3d sync port on the tv. I have enabled 3d via the in-game option menu in avatar, but the "3d effects" menu in the tv is greyed out, so I cannot enable 3d on the tv itself.

Samsung has given me varied responses. Some of their tech folks have told me I need a pc to display 3d and others have told me that if the output from the xbox 360 is in 3d, the tv will interpret it.

I beg of you all, if anyone has a clue why I cannot enable the 3d effects on this tv, please help me.

Guig2000
01-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Posted Tue January 05 2010 16:45
Samsung has given me varied responses. Some of their tech folks have told me I need a pc to display 3d and others have told me that if the output from the xbox 360 is in 3d, the tv will interpret it.

The two are right: the problem is your glasses.
Unfortunately, you should have read the system requirements of the 3D vision on the box when you bought it.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

Nvidia 3D vision kit is for PC under windows vista or seven only. The Nvidia 3D vision system is a very restricted shutter glasse solution.

Some people were hable to activate nvidia glasses on the Xbox 360/PS3 but you need a computer under windows with a nvidia graphic card compatible 3D vision, and you have to install the nvidia 3D driver installed in it: the emiter have to be connected to one USB port of your compatible computer and to the 3sync of your plasma.

The best way is to buy a non-restricted shutter glasses solution, compatible with the 3dsync of your plasma.

Don't forget to read the official 3D stereoscopic faq on this forum.

More info about 3D solutions: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1049957/m/3761049128 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6391049957/m/3761049128)
You will find more help about shutter glasses to choose on the mtbs3D forums.

Daemonbefore
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
dang fine print, I was working under the assumption that the usb plug on the nvidea emitter was for power only.

Thank you for your help mate, this topic is confusing the heck out of me.

Daemonbefore
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
To all of you with a Samsung 450 series HDTV trying to get 3d working on an xbox 360:

"The TV must receive a resolution of either 1360 x 768, or 1024 x 768, via the HDMI 2 input for it to allow access to "3d effects"."

dannyhawaii2007
01-09-2010, 03:08 AM
This is where I'm having trouble too. My TV is a PS50B450B1D and I have 3D working with a PC at 1360x768 through the HDMI-2 input (using DLP glasses purchased from http://stores.ebay.com.au/Ultimate3DHeaven).

The problem is that when I connect the 360, the only resolutions available are 720p/1080p/etc. I tried turning off the Display Detect on the 360 but still no luck. At the standard HD resolutions my TV has the '3D Effect' menu option greyed out but it works correctly when the display is set to 1360x768 with the PC.

I don't think this is a problem with the glasses, but the way the TV and 360 communicate over HDMI. My feeling is that it's at the 360 end as my laptop was connected over HDMI (not DVI) and I could set it to 1360x768.

Sounds like I need to contact Microsoft and Samsung. Which I'm pretty sure will get me nowhere. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Daemonbefore
01-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Thats where I was running into trouble for a bit too.

On the 360 in system settings where you change the resolution of the xbox, I needed to select "optimum" instead of 720p, 1080p, 1080i or 480i(was in the 400's but cant remeber what it was). "Optimum" was the only one that would achieve 1024 x 768.

Once I did that and the tv flashed the right resolution up in the top left, 3d effects was accessible even without the glasses connected or an active 3d data feed.

In my personal opinion, stick to the online forums for asking about 3d. The product call centers are of no help for this. They like to look at a manual and tell you what it says without having any technical understanding.

The official response I received from Samsung was "you need a computer for 3d to work, you need to contact microsoft for xbox related issues".

From microsoft: "The 360 is capable of displaying 3d content from enabled games, but we cannot help you with other manufacturers' products".

From Ubisoft: "If 3d is turned on in the game and the tv is 3d capable, it should allow you to turn "3d effects" on, but you need to contact your tv manufacturer for issues with your tv".

In short, without any bloody standard, NO manufacturer knows how to correctly interface their products with someone else. The fact that they put underpaid phone monkeys on tech support, instead of the techs that designed the stuff only exacerbates the problem. The best way to solve your issues, is to search for your tv in past posts at MTBS forum and hope someone else has had your problem.

Good luck.

dannyhawaii2007
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks alot for the info. I had a feeling that dealing with each company separately might turn out that way. Seems to me that my issue is that for some reason, the 'Optimal' setting never shows up on my Xbox. I'll fiddle some more and look into that, but I've also found someone with the exact same TV that got it working on the Xbox forums so that helps alot too.

If I make any progress I'll post it here so others may benefit.