PDA

View Full Version : Objects under OPE control culled too aggressively

mrjorts
05-20-2019, 09:17 PM
I'm making an endless trials skill game. Each obstacle is held together with a glue group, and all the groups are stored in an object array. The obstacles are then retrieved from the object array and positioned on the driving line with an OPE. My problem is that the objects start disappearing at random, as if they are out of range and being culled.

I have tried turning the culling range up in advanced settings, adding more objects to the glue group to make their bounding boxes bigger, increasing the camera fov, moving the camera farther back, increasing object rendering distance in visibility settings, and maybe some other long shot ideas. I've noticed that the entire glue group seems to appear or disappear as one, rather than individual objects disappearing. The objects seem to usually stay physically present regardless of whether they are visible.

Here is a video demonstrating the problem. I'd love to know if anyone has run into any similar issue and found any workarounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afe2RZ8SK5g&feature=youtu.be

mrjorts
05-22-2019, 09:25 PM
I've isolated the issue. When an OPE is linked to an Object Retriever to move an object in an Object Array, the object's new position is not registered properly, causing it to flicker in and out of existence. I added an OPE to the end of my logic chain which has both "Modify position" and "Modify rotation" disabled, and attached it to every glue group in the array. That way they are not moved, but their new position is properly registered and they no longer disappear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFBw42ndd1I&feature=youtu.be

CynicalCreator
05-27-2019, 04:11 PM
I just had a similar random culling range problem, only it was with a physics joint on a glue group, for some reason the objects inherit a tiny culling range centered on the glue group's pivot point after moving, riding up to them was fine but as soon as they started moving they where culled at ~30m from wherever the glue group's pivot point moved, stayed culled like that even after returning the object to its original state. I was able to get around it by positioning the glue group pivot point in a spot where it would stay near the rider as the objects moved, but yea, definitely something broken in the culling range department

STR8T BLAZIN
04-23-2020, 10:08 PM
I had this problem with a a glue group had one piece of it snap to 30.00 up on Y axis for no reason and didn't take the rest of the glue group with it so i deleted and replaced that piece and re-inserted which fixed the problem !
Maybe it's not culling range but instead animation range possible affecting your track?
Being closer to pivot point of moving glue group does seem to work better or run smoother !