PDA

View Full Version : Increased range for British 20mm

Choctaw111
01-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I have been frustrated by the very limited range of the British 20mm cannon and several other calibers as well but the 20mm the most. When I am flying the Hurricane it seems that the rounds are only good for about 750 meters. Does anyone know what the actual range is for this cannon? I am still very inpressed with the increased range of the 50 cal a couple pathces ago (4.0 I believe) but none of the ranges for the other guns were increased. It is very frustrating during ground attack especially with the Beaufighter where convergance of the nose cannon is negligible and I like to attack from as far out as possible. Any comments on this? Shouldn't the cannon having heavier projectiles traveling at about the same speed have a greater range?

Choctaw111
01-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I have been frustrated by the very limited range of the British 20mm cannon and several other calibers as well but the 20mm the most. When I am flying the Hurricane it seems that the rounds are only good for about 750 meters. Does anyone know what the actual range is for this cannon? I am still very inpressed with the increased range of the 50 cal a couple pathces ago (4.0 I believe) but none of the ranges for the other guns were increased. It is very frustrating during ground attack especially with the Beaufighter where convergance of the nose cannon is negligible and I like to attack from as far out as possible. Any comments on this? Shouldn't the cannon having heavier projectiles traveling at about the same speed have a greater range?

p1ngu666
01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
yes, they didnt have blowy up by themselves tech, which the germans had on there mk108s atleast, read numous times of shells whizzing past and blowing up some way in front of the aircraft getting shot at (dont know how far). this is presumably because a few mk108 rounds would do as much damage as the bombs that where being dropped http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

303's also have *alot* of spray

noace
01-11-2006, 08:24 AM
You must be a brilliant shoot. I am happy to hit my ground targets when inside 300 m. (For airial opponents it is more like 150 m.)

Honestly I think it is a waste of ammunition to open fire at that range.

noace

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-11-2006, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by noace:
You must be a brilliant shoot. I am happy to hit my ground targets when inside 300 m. (For airial opponents it is more like 150 m.)

noace </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Choctaw111
01-11-2006, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by noace:

noace </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that is why they call you noace. Just kidding. All jokes aside I regularly down enemy AC at 300+ meters when not in a tight turn. That is when they start to climb and then start to dive and I nail them right as they are starting to descend and I am usually not very close to them and I cannot pass up a great shot like that. It is like he is posing for me. Anyway, why only increase the range of the 50's? Why not the others that need attention also. Just a thought.

Hetzer_II
01-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I would say you should listen to people like Galland, Hartmann, Rall and Krupinski.. they all said they they had opened fire at conditions well unde 100 Meters or even closer than 50 meters...

I believe the bigger Problem in il2 is that it is to easy to hit targets... to hit a 109 from a distance of 750 is close to impossible in real avionic WWII conditions.. imho..

Greets

SlickStick
01-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Choctaw, this has been an issue with the Hurri IIc Hispanos since Day 1. You'll notice the later hispanos (Mk VIIIs/IXs for example) do not have that issue. I thought someone once posted that it was to simulate the early fuse problems of the early hispanos, but I never quite bought that explanation. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I did a series of overhead shots (which I can't find at the moment), that showed that the Hurri IIcs shells disappear from the screen at about 1km. If you look at SHVAKS or later hispanos, they travel near 3km before disappearing off of the screen.

Now, granted, not many people firing at 750m, but in head-ons, which I avoid like the plague, the opponent's shells can reach you before you can even touch him.

Does the Beau have the same hispanos as the Hurri IIc?

p1ngu666
01-11-2006, 10:36 AM
the hispano should be one of the better weapons for long range too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Jetbuff
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Are you guys serious?

Genie-
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
my god.. you really shoot at anything from longer range then 150 meters??

Kuna15
01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Online I have lobbed/landed a salvo of MK108s from Bf-109 on Spitfire 400-450m away that was running away on treetops. Trimmed his wing as a result.
Also I was PKed by a Spitfire's Hispanos from around 600-650m in wide turn/climb. That was one of the best/toughest shots I saw ever (when my screen went black I had http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif expression on my face).
Depending on aircraft type/weapons for me best distance where I want enemy fighter to be is 200m. I usually have time and space to counteract any move he executes with burst.

Anyway most of the FB weapons are very dangerous even from distance.

p1ngu666
01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
hes right, hispano tracers disapear at 950metres or so (havent got a definative test yet) mg151 sail on past 1.1km, estimatin 1.2 1.3 km

303 have a slightly longer range than hispano..

faustnik
01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:
hes right, hispano tracers disapear at 950metres or so (havent got a definative test yet) mg151 sail on past 1.1km, estimatin 1.2 1.3 km

303 have a slightly longer range than hispano.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hispanos should have the longest range of all the 20mm.

JtD
01-11-2006, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hetzer_II:
I would say you should listen to people like Galland, Hartmann, Rall and Krupinski.. they all said they they had opened fire at conditions well unde 100 Meters or even closer than 50 meters... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder how many train stations, fuel depots, ammo storages or truck convois these guys blew up...

p1ngu666
01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
galland started off as a ground attack pilot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

dont think he used cannons tho

1km isnts too far, about the length of a test runway

jimDG
01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
not true. Ive scored hits at 1000m range with 20mm guns.
The trajectory is flat to about 600m. Then it starts bending down. At 1000m you need to be aiming about 1/2 to 2/3 rings above the target (depending on the relative altitudes). and also you need to aim slightly (1/4 to 1/2 rings) to the left ot right to account for divergeance (if are in a hurry and the guns are set to 350m convergeance, which is what I normally do)

jimDG
01-11-2006, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:

noace </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when the target is steady (say - climbing away) then its actually quite easy to get a headshot. I got one (once) at 700m, with the 3rd burst. And each busrt was about half a sec - enough to see where the tracers go and correct for the next burst (that was with the b20s in a la7).
Its even easier with 4x.303s at that range.
...as long as the target maintains a steady climb and assumes theres no need to worry when tracers start flashing by at such a range http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SlickStick
01-11-2006, 03:48 PM
This is always the site that I visit when I have questions about guns and cannons on WWII planes. WWII Aircraft Armament (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-pe.html)

Jetbuff
01-11-2006, 04:23 PM
My best shot ever was a 750m prayer in the yak-9K that severed the poor bastage's wing. It felt lousy though, like I had cheated or something. Shots farther out than 500m are, practicaly speaking, useless unless you have a lot of guns with high rate of fire. (.303/.50) Even then, your chances of landing a shot may increase, but the chances of actually shooting someone down at those ranges are very very slim. The RAF found out the hard way that 400 yards was too far for most air to air combat in the BoB.

VW-IceFire
01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Simple test for you folks.

Take any .50cal armed aircraft and fly over the ocean. Fire off a burst towards the water and watch, even if you're way off, that the rounds strike the water at some point. It may even take a few seconds to happen and by then the bullets are more or less falling into the sea than traveling forward.

But with the Hispano...if you are so much as 1 meter out from its end it will not hit the water...it disappears. The other bullets continue on but the Hispano disappears. Not sure why...only gun in the game that does this to my knowledge.

Its not a huge loss...but when you're strafing sometimes you'll see the difference. Gameplay isn't really affected.

Choctaw111
01-11-2006, 08:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Simple test for you folks.

Take any .50cal armed aircraft and fly over the ocean. Fire off a burst towards the water and watch, even if you're way off, that the rounds strike the water at some point. It may even take a few seconds to happen and by then the bullets are more or less falling into the sea than traveling forward.

But with the Hispano...if you are so much as 1 meter out from its end it will not hit the water...it disappears. The other bullets continue on but the Hispano disappears. Not sure why...only gun in the game that does this to my knowledge.

Its not a huge loss...but when you're strafing sometimes you'll see the difference. Gameplay isn't really affected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly what I have been trying to say. IT is very frustrating when your bullets die just in front of a ground target. The bullets just don't dissapear! They have to hit the ground sometime and yet they die right there just meters away from the intended target. Please fix this, PLEASE... Not so much of a big deal for air to air (Well, it is a little) but for ground attack this needs to be fixed...

Choctaw111
01-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Here is a picture that I took today for a size comparison of Hispano and MG151-20 ammo. The Hispano is a tracer and the 151-20 is an HE-tracer with self destruct (not that the ammo types make any diference for this comparison. Why would the MG151-20 have a greater range than any of the Hispanos?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/PublicPhotoAccount2/DSC02834-1.jpg

p1ngu666
01-13-2006, 10:55 PM
its luftwaffe, and therefor better?

cool pic tho

u also mention the self destruct, so by default, the hispano should live longer, if the 20mm blows itself up (do u know how that is set? im curious)

hispano has more proplellent, a longer barrell i think, better muzzle volocity..

Jetbuff
01-14-2006, 02:14 AM
If the Hispano's 20mm rounds are indeed 'disappearing' then that should be addressed. I doubt however that it would actually have any impact apart from allowing Spit pilots to run out of ammo sooner; hey wait a minute, maybe this isn't such a bad thing? Fix the Hispano Oleg! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Kocur_
01-14-2006, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the Hispano's 20mm rounds are indeed 'disappearing' then that should be addressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed!
I hope that we all have in mind that little thing, that tracer burns out waaay before ballistic range of projectile? We can safely assume, that range of tracer-still-burning usually doesnt exceed 1km.

Choctaw111
01-14-2006, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:
its luftwaffe, and therefor better?

cool pic tho

u also mention the self destruct, so by default, the hispano should live longer, if the 20mm blows itself up (do u know how that is set? im curious)

hispano has more proplellent, a longer barrell i think, better muzzle volocity.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The German self destruct is a very simple thing. The tracer cavity and HE cavity are linked together by a small hole between them. When the tracer burns down to the end it burns through the small hole and blows up the HE. Very simple.

Choctaw111
01-14-2006, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the Hispano's 20mm rounds are indeed 'disappearing' then that should be addressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed!
I hope that we all have in mind that little thing, that tracer burns out waaay before ballistic range of projectile? We can safely assume, that range of tracer-still-burning usually doesnt exceed 1km. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have said this many times before also. JUST BECAUSE THE TRACER BURNS OUT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE BULLET DISAPPEARS!!!!!! It keeps on flying.

Abbuzze
01-14-2006, 08:19 AM
For the range of a gun, and serious aiming just a few words, in this sim aiming is much to easy, cause our heads are fixed like glued.

And now a short calculation, to miss a 1.5/1,5m large target at 500m distance.
Lets say a 10m long plane, with a center of movement/lift at a distance 3m from the nose.

Pythagoras: tan=1,5/500
to miss with a perfekt gun in the enterline of the plane with no balistic arc the plane is not allowed to move more than 0,172deg.

This means the nosetip of the plane, is moving 0.009 m to miss, thats less than a 0.50cal bullet is width.

And you seriously talking about hits, which are more than just luck? A pistonengined plane, flying in the air, the gun itselfe is vibrating, maybe it´s a winggun, so the wing itself starts to vibrate - not to talk about convergance...

There is a cause while aces just shot at real short distances...

Kocur_
01-14-2006, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
Agreed!
I hope that we all have in mind that little thing, that tracer burns out waaay before ballistic range of projectile? We can safely assume, that range of tracer-still-burning usually doesnt exceed 1km. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have said this many times before also. JUST BECAUSE THE TRACER BURNS OUT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE BULLET DISAPPEARS!!!!!! It keeps on flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can this be not obvious? Why do you SHOOOUUUT? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
01-14-2006, 08:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
Agreed!

I have said this many times before also. JUST BECAUSE THE TRACER BURNS OUT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE BULLET DISAPPEARS!!!!!! It keeps on flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can this be not obvious? Why do you SHOOOUUUT? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For a while nobody was listening http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Take any Hispano armed aircraft and fire towards the sea...if you're beyond a certain range the bullet just disappears. Not true for any other weapon I've tried. Just seems odd to me...

I'm curious to see if the Hispano Mark V has the same problem.

p1ngu666
01-14-2006, 09:55 AM
theres reasons to fire at long ranges, mostly against round targets.

ever seen videos of coastal command strikes?

sometimes u cant see the ships because of all the spray from cannon rounds hittin the ship/water

also got a model today of a french bomber, hispano is rather big, 6-7ft long http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Hetzer_II
01-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Abbuzze... they realy dont want to hear such things as truth... thay want something to whine...

;-)

p1ngu666
01-14-2006, 12:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hetzer_II:
Abbuzze... they realy dont want to hear such things as truth... thay want something to whine...

;-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, we want some equality.

btw, 500kph, a figure easily achived by ground attack aircraft with hispanos (mossie, bue, tiffy, tempest, spit etc) is 138.8 metres per second. 7 seconds to cover 1000metres, which is slightly more than hispano range.

500mph is 223.5metres per second, so thats 4 seconds.

500mph may sound rather fast, but thats the speed tiffies and tempests would often pull out of dives after rocket/bombing/strafing attacks.

and yes its true that its very slight degrees would put u off target, but this isnt so much about aircombat, but ground attack... imagine yourself attacking a flak group. when do u want to start firing?

the disapearence of the 20mm shells would make it harder to aim also.

aircombat is mostly effected in terms of head on, and long range chasing shot.

WOLFMondo
01-14-2006, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:

Does the Beau have the same hispanos as the Hurri IIc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the Hispano's apart from the ones in the Tempest AI model should be MkII's.

p1ngu666
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
think the tempest has the mk2's aswell
(wrongly)

WOLFMondo
01-14-2006, 06:36 PM
(wrongly) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really sure what it has in the AI model. To the eye the difference would be negligable. The RoF is slightly higher and the muzzle velocity is slightly lower (but still better than an MG151/20 :P).

Abbuzze
01-14-2006, 06:44 PM

and yes its true that its very slight degrees would put u off target, but this isnt so much about aircombat, but ground attack... imagine yourself attacking a flak group. when do u want to start firing?

the disapearence of the 20mm shells would make it harder to aim also.

aircombat is mostly effected in terms of head on, and long range chasing shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually start to firing when I have a serious chance to hit a small target like a flak, and this is not 750 or 500 m. I don´t like to waste ammonition. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif My 109 is not equipted with enough ammo to waste it.

luftluuver
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
(wrongly) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If there are small stubs protruding from the wing's leading edge they are MkIIs. If not, then MkVs. The early production Tempests had MkIIs.

p1ngu666
01-14-2006, 07:17 PM
i know luftluuver, but what is in ingame... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

abbuzze, i wouldnt open fire at that range for a single gun, but perhaps irl, cos it would make the guncrew leg it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

against groups of flak, ships etc, theres merit in the firing at long range http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Abbuzze
01-15-2006, 04:34 PM

abbuzze, i wouldnt open fire at that range for a single gun, but perhaps irl, cos it would make the guncrew leg it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

against groups of flak, ships etc, theres merit in the firing at long range http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt about this! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I would do the same! Beside the psychological effect to the ground crew it´s also good for you. Reminds me to Hartmans combat agains 8 Mustangs when he flew scissors to eavasive, he fired his guns in this turns without any chance to hit them, but to fell better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

p1ngu666
01-15-2006, 05:08 PM
hehe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

this is gonna be more important soon too, with the arival of mossie, tempest and hopefully faster spitfire

360-400mph range on the deck, ground attack missions will be mossie and tempests main tasks..

Choctaw111
01-15-2006, 05:57 PM
I have done extensive tests with the bullets and guns in Il2 and one thing is for sure. NO bullet is modeled AFTER the tracer burns out. Not one type. If you use externals like I have to do the testing you will see this. Even the 50's with its now extraordinary range has the tracer modeled right up to when it dissapears. As soon as the tracer goes out ALL bullets dissapear. Again, NO BULLET IS MODELED AFTER THE TRACER BURNS OUT... I would love to have them where they travel for longer distances after the tracer burns out but we don't.

JtD
01-15-2006, 10:34 PM
From my testing some time back a few rounds would fly farther than the tracer rounds of the same weapon, check the MK 108.

Kocur_
01-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Do we really need any gun projectiles 'existing' beyound, say 1km? Probability of hitting what you aimed at is negligible, and making them disappear relives bit of computer resources.

JtD
01-16-2006, 09:05 AM
It has been said, a range of about 1 km is useful for ground attack. I do not think more is necessary.

In aircombat, ranges of up to 1 km have mainly psycological effect, I feel much better if I see the MG 81Z rounds disappear right in front of my plane instead of having them fly past me.

p1ngu666
01-16-2006, 11:42 AM
whats the range of the 50cals now?

Choctaw111
01-16-2006, 04:28 PM
whats the range of the 50cals now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Extremely far. The only ones that go farther are the Bk3.7 and the Bk5. I will get a more accurate measurement later.

p1ngu666
01-16-2006, 11:12 PM
cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
well i go by the name of p1ngu666 on HL, plus i have msn, icq,skype too, so if u wanna together on this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Choctaw111
01-17-2006, 09:18 AM
The only places I fly on HL are Spits-109s and Zekes-Wildcats. I only fly full real and these two servers are OK. I go by Choctaw on HL. Maybe I will see you around. What time zone are you in? I am on Eastern Standard Time. What times do you usually fly? I will look for you.