PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer Question/ IL-2

grweeds
10-25-2005, 08:09 AM
I am awaiting my copy of the original IL-2 after being disappointed with the MS CFS3 performance. After seeing how many upgrade versions are available to improve IL-2, I wondered if any pro's have advice as to which upgrade to get. I haven't even received my copy yet, but can't wait! I would appreciate any help for this novice to the Sturmovik community.

Bearcat99
10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Welcome aboard.... The original IL2 while nice and is a good introduction to the series has no "upgrades".. just 3 patches and frankly is eclipsed byt Forgotten Battles.

This is the information you want (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/4591089933/r/4591089933#4591089933).

I recommend that you click the Sturmovik Essentials link in my signature as well.

You want to get Forgottten Battles, The Aces Expansion Pack (Forgotten Battles GOLD contains Forgotten Battles and The Aces Expansion Pack in one box) and Pacific Fighters. It seems like an expensive proposition but it isnt. In fact all 3 sims.. depending on where you live could be as low as the original price of Forgotten Battles alone.

When did you get CFS3..... sorry you didnt come here first.. you could have saved some money. This community is very vibrant and one of the best things about this sim. In the Essentials link there are tons of good sources for most things sim and all things IL2. Airwarfare.com is the big daddy of them all. If you have any more questioins bring them here.... there are dozens of folks who are more than willing to help ou get setup. What kind of system are you running the sim on? If you have technical issues go to the community help forum.

marc_hawkins
10-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Well, i'm not one of the pro's but the original IL2 sturmovik is a stand alone game that only has the one downloadable patch (i think)

IL2 Forgotten battles is next, originally going to be a add on to the original but grew into a much improved independant tite with most of the stuff from the original and then some, so if the eastern front pleases you then it is the one to get.. Aces expansion pack gives you extra planes (including the mustang and spitfire if you miss them) and improved tweaks to the FM etc. And then pacific fighters which can be standalone but can also be merged with FB and AEP to produce one mother of a sim. (for one thing in merged you will get the IX spitfires) Then you have the downloadable patches for each (forgotten battles, FB with AEP, pacific fighters standalone) or for the merged install which add so much more... as a quick glance through these forums will quickly show you.

Really its up to you, if you like it, you'll want it all. As the others will no doubt tell you, its best to have the FB+AEP+PF merged Patched all the way up to the current version if you want to play online and want to have the flight model and other stuff up to the very lastest version.

phew... hope you are not as confused as i am.

Skycat_2
10-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Original IL-2 Sturmovik support ended in 2003 with patch 1.20. You can upgrade to that version through two major patches from here (http://www.il2sturmovik.com/games_elts/updates.php):
1) il2upgrade_1.1a.exe (75Mb) ~ then
2) il2upgrade_1.2.exe.
3) Finish with il2upgrade_1.2ov.exe, which is optional but must be installed over v1.2.
Be careful in following the downloads because there are several patches that you won't need because they were consolidated into v1.1a.

Now for the bad news: IL-2 Sturmovik is the first version of "Forgotten Battles" and is incompatible with the FB series. IL-2's support ended when FB was released and the expansion packs won't work with IL-2 Sturmovik. You can only play IL-2 Sturmovik online with other people playing IL-2 patched to the same version.

FB has twice the content (but all the content of IL-2) and is technically a different game. Again, IL-2 cannot be expanded while FB can be expanded by first adding the Ace Expansion Pack and then Pacific Fighters.

Look into the Forgotten Battles Gold Pack that combines FB and AEP. And/or look into Pacific Fighters because it can either be installed as a stand-alone game or as an expansion pack (which option you choose will affect who you can play with online and also what missions you can download from sites like Netwings).

Or, wait and see if the proposed Platinum Pack that combines all three titles is planned as a Christmas release ...

grweeds
10-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm really excited about getting into IL-2. Perhaps I should have done more research and gone ahead and gotten the FB Gold Pack, but I found a new copy of the original for about $10, so I don't feel too badly, and when/if I upgrade to FB/GP I can give my original to someone interested.
I'm not a big computer person, in the tech sense, but I'm running a Dell 2350, Pentium 4 @2.2GHz with the most recent intel graphics I could find. I don't even know if that's the pertinent info! I use a Sidewinder P2 joystick.
Yes, I definitely should have checked into this community before I bought the MS CFS3!!! It never ran well, constantly burned thru Virtual Memory (when I had %78 free space!)and had other problems. I liked the options in the campaign mode, but generally it was just a frustrating stutter after stutter.
Thanks for the links and info...best to you all!

MLudner
10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I meant to come to this thread sooner to see if I could be of any assistance, but I was distracted by other matters. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

Everything above is good advice, but I have more:

CFS3 is a good game, but not so good as this one. However, I don't want you to be disappointed when you get Il-2 because it's not likely that CFS3 was to blame for the stuttering you experienced. One BIG question is:
How much RAM does your computer have?
RAM (Random Access Memory) is basically your computer's thinking power. RAM is what it uses when operating various programs, including Flight Simulators. Likely it was insufficient RAM that was the source of the stuttering as the program was using either too high a percentage of your RAM capacity, or more than you had available. Probably the former, as the latter would probably result in a crash. The gist of this is that you might have the same problem with Il-2/FB+AEP/PF. My last computer had 512 MB of RAM and it handled the game reasonably well, but the Berlin Map, for example, was too busy (i.e: there was too much stuff around; too many buildings and such) and my computer would stutter whenever I tried to fly on that map. Plus, I had to use lower graphics settings or the computer would stutter. My current machine has a little over a Gig of RAM (1,000+ MB of DDR SD RAM - I have no idea, exactly, what "SD DDR" is, but it's good, whatever it is.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) You might need to up-grade the RAM in your current machine. This is not as hard as it may seem, and much less expensive than buying a whole new computer. RAM chips are available at places like CompUSA, Best Buy and such (I don't know where you're from...). They are simple to install, the only difficulty is trying to figure out the slot they go in, but the manual that came with your computer will have that information.

I hope that helps.

neural_dream
10-26-2005, 01:11 PM
An aircraft reference guide would help:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/8311086963
Btw, i did also try IL-2 after i got very disappointed by CFS3. Before IL-2 i thought that Flight Simulators are those geeky games with bad graphics that make you buy joysticks to look at them instead and forget the bad graphics. How shallow i am http://www.msnmonkey.co.uk/Emo/HappySmileys/Hammer3.gif .

Bearcat99
10-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Your processor looks decent.. but you said something about Intel graphics.... a definite no no.. You will need a video card... I recommend at least a 9800 Pro 128 /NV 6600 128 AGP card... minimum.. If you have 512M of RAM upgrade to another 512MB...

grweeds
10-26-2005, 07:43 PM
excellent advice- thanks again...I will look into upgrading my RAM and finding a suitable video card...you've all made a newbie feel welcome, and I appreciate that a great deal!