PDA

View Full Version : Help!What would YOU Do?!(Microdirect UK)

ytareh
06-27-2006, 05:24 AM
SHORTER VERSION
I bought an X1900XTX from MICRODIRECT in UK.It was faulty ,they have it nearly 3 months -offering me 360 CREDIT(!)(enough for a new X1900XTX)I paid 442
Would you 1 take the credit and buy a new X1900XTX?
2 Take the credit and get something else?
3 Go Mad!!!?

ytareh
SHORTER VERSION
I bought an X1900XTX from MICRODIRECT in UK.It was faulty ,they have it nearly 3 months -offering me 360 CREDIT(!)(enough for a new X1900XTX)I paid 442
Would you 1 take the credit and buy a new X1900XTX?
2 Take the credit and get something else?
3 Go Mad!!!?

ytareh
LONGER VERSION!

As some of the tech help guys will know I had a nightmare attempt at building my own uber pc in February
I was holidays in England and bought all the parts to put it together at MICRODIRECT in Manchester-briefly DFI mobo,X1900XTX,Seasonic S12 600W PSU etc .I was using my existing Opteron 144 and OCZ Platinum Rev2 RAM (2x512).Also got a monster Silverstone Temjin TJ05 case which Im still using along with the lovely Sony 17" XBlack monitor
Well first I had cold boot issues and blamed the mobo as they have a reputation for that sort of thing.I got a refund less some handling charge -and of course I had to pay large postage to return it.
So I bought an ABIT FATAL1TY motherboard locally an nearly flipped when I had the exact same cold boot issue.Basically pc took up to an hour to boot into XP but was perfect after that (PC MARK 05 10K+ !!!)including warm reboots...
I spent weeks of late nights(early mornings!) trying to get it stable-eventually gave it to a pc tech friend who couldnt help either -still the cold boot issue
But things got worse-after I took it back from my friend -and I had seen it boot in his house 20 mins before !- the thing wouldnt boot AT ALL!
I used a variety of power supplies -all over 600W-and none would work
Eventually I returned the X1900XTX to MICRODIRECT.They had it for over 2 months claiming it had to go back to manufacturers.When their 30 working days limit expired I got on the phone looking for my money back.
I have been messed round for weeks with promises of phone calls and emails not returned.Eventually I got someone to tell me I would get a refund to my card of 360-I paid 442.I have threatened taking them to the small claims court
So do I call them again and demand refund?
Get an X1900XTX -of course Ive no SLI mobo now...
Lie back and take the credit?
What would you do?

Vacillator
06-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Just my opinion, but if you return an item to a company and tell them it's faulty and therefore not fit for its purpose, then they should give you a full refund (minus any postage). Unless of course they can fire up the said item to prove it's not faulty which would be unfortunate from your point of view...
Good luck with whatever you decide, I feel for you after having similar but thankfully not so expensive happenings in the past.

ytareh
06-27-2006, 07:19 AM
LATEST
Well finally they took my card details and said I'll be getting the money refunded....Hopefully finished with...

Capt.LoneRanger
06-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Write to ATI.

The customer has to send the gfx-card to ATI - if he doesn't there's something wrong.

alphalvr
06-27-2006, 05:13 PM
ive been in this situation, do this.

write a letter to them demanding the full amount within 14 day or you star small claims proceedings. (send it recorded post)

on the 14th day if you havent heard nothing sent another letter sayin they have missed the 14day deadline and as a `goodwill gesture` (should it come to court this looks very good) you are giving them a further 7 days before court action. (send it recorded)

now ill be surprised if you aint got the money by now but if not then start small claims. i guarantee within 2 days of the small claims letter arriving they will settle in full out of court.

i did this with www.overclockers.co.uk (http://www.overclockers.co.uk) in stoke with a radeon 9700pro (i bought it the day they 1st got them in stock for 400)

you will not lose, do everything on the dates you say you will, do not give them a extra few days (apart from the week offered in 2nd letter)

Capt.England
06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
As alphalvr says mate!

Also try writing to PC Format, Computer Buyer, and maybe PC Pilot mags to see if they may help to pull some strings?

Always worth a try.