PDA

View Full Version : A Pilot Passes

Slickun
02-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Hello, friends. I haven't posted here for awhile, although I still lurk here, reading the posts.

My Dad passed away today. The reason I'm bringing it up is not for sympathy for myself, but just a reminder that the fellows that flew the planes we play in are passing away quickly.

My Dad joined the AAC in 1942. He did the usual training regimen of cadets in those days, flying US training A/C that ranged from bi-planes in primary training to the P-40 in advanced.

He was employed as a flight instructor until 1945, when he was assigned to a P-47N unit. They had trained up on the East coast, flying agonizingly long training missions and dogfighting with Navy F4-Us and F6-Fs. He was awaiting shipping to Ie Shima, off the coast of Okinawa, when the war ended.

Between wars he transitioned to P-80's, and was in an F-86A unit when Korea broke out. Instead of flying the Saber, he was dragged of to fly the B-26 Invader, mostly at night. The Air Force, desperate for Invader pilots, discovered he had a few hours in the type, flying his unit's hack B-26. Off he went in a bomber to Korea.

He flew 56 missions, earning the Distinguished Flying Cross, 3 Air Medals, and the UN medal before returning to the US. He survived an attack by a night fighter, warned in time by his gunner to foil the attack by dropping flaps and turning into the attack. While he was flying in Korea his second kid (me) was born.

After Korea he flew F-86D's and finished up his flying days as the Commander of the 87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, flying the mach 2 F-101B Voodoo. An amazing career, from bi-planes to supersonic planes with nuclear missiles.

He served a tour in Viet-Nam as a maintenance officer, finally retiring after 30 years.

Dad was living in Fordyce, Arkansas with his 3rd wife when he passed away after a short bout with congestive heart failure.

He flew everything from PT-19's to the F-101B. Other planes flown by Dad include the P-40, the P-47D and N, the P-51B, D and F-6, the P-39, the P-80, F-86, F-86D, T-33, AT-6 Texan (many hours on that one), and several others.

I was lucky enough to record an oral history and spend time transcribing it to written word (a lot of work).

Of course I'm proud of my Pop, and have often posted his accounts of flying some of the birds in this game. Skychimp posted a photo of him once, and I wonder if he still has it?

Anyway, if you guys get time, would you say a little prayer for Lt. Col (Ret) Carey James Land in whatever language or religion you call your own?

Thanks for listening, and just be aware that the guys we pretend to be are leaving us at a steady rate.

Slickun
02-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Hello, friends. I haven't posted here for awhile, although I still lurk here, reading the posts.

My Dad passed away today. The reason I'm bringing it up is not for sympathy for myself, but just a reminder that the fellows that flew the planes we play in are passing away quickly.

My Dad joined the AAC in 1942. He did the usual training regimen of cadets in those days, flying US training A/C that ranged from bi-planes in primary training to the P-40 in advanced.

He was employed as a flight instructor until 1945, when he was assigned to a P-47N unit. They had trained up on the East coast, flying agonizingly long training missions and dogfighting with Navy F4-Us and F6-Fs. He was awaiting shipping to Ie Shima, off the coast of Okinawa, when the war ended.

Between wars he transitioned to P-80's, and was in an F-86A unit when Korea broke out. Instead of flying the Saber, he was dragged of to fly the B-26 Invader, mostly at night. The Air Force, desperate for Invader pilots, discovered he had a few hours in the type, flying his unit's hack B-26. Off he went in a bomber to Korea.

He flew 56 missions, earning the Distinguished Flying Cross, 3 Air Medals, and the UN medal before returning to the US. He survived an attack by a night fighter, warned in time by his gunner to foil the attack by dropping flaps and turning into the attack. While he was flying in Korea his second kid (me) was born.

After Korea he flew F-86D's and finished up his flying days as the Commander of the 87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, flying the mach 2 F-101B Voodoo. An amazing career, from bi-planes to supersonic planes with nuclear missiles.

He served a tour in Viet-Nam as a maintenance officer, finally retiring after 30 years.

Dad was living in Fordyce, Arkansas with his 3rd wife when he passed away after a short bout with congestive heart failure.

He flew everything from PT-19's to the F-101B. Other planes flown by Dad include the P-40, the P-47D and N, the P-51B, D and F-6, the P-39, the P-80, F-86, F-86D, T-33, AT-6 Texan (many hours on that one), and several others.

I was lucky enough to record an oral history and spend time transcribing it to written word (a lot of work).

Of course I'm proud of my Pop, and have often posted his accounts of flying some of the birds in this game. Skychimp posted a photo of him once, and I wonder if he still has it?

Anyway, if you guys get time, would you say a little prayer for Lt. Col (Ret) Carey James Land in whatever language or religion you call your own?

Thanks for listening, and just be aware that the guys we pretend to be are leaving us at a steady rate.

LEXX_Luthor
02-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks.

And thanks to your Pop for creating a good writer while he flew in Korea. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

be aware the guys we pretend to be are leaving us at a steady rate" ~Slickun

Jasko76
02-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Salute to your Pop!

I'm sure he's now at a place he loved so much - among clouds!

Chuck_Older
02-16-2005, 05:35 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif You have many good things to remember

VonKlugermon
02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear of your father's passing. I lost my father two months ago. AAC in 1943, BT-13's, AT-6's, and more. Ended up on B-25's. A true aviator to the end. You have my condolences.

Willy

sunflower1
02-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Thank you, and condolences.

Stiglr
02-16-2005, 06:09 PM
So sad to hear about your dad. Doubly so because he is another veteran of that 'great generation' who took part in WWII (and Korea).

GT182
02-16-2005, 06:36 PM
My condolences Slickun. He isn't gone.... he's just looking over yer shoulder now. My salute to Lt.Col C.J. Land for all he did for his country and family. ~S!~, and a 21 gun salute from us all.

Owlsphone
02-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing information about his life. You are right that veterans are dying every day, but you also did your part to remember them by recording his stories.
Thanks again.

A big ~S~ and thank you to Lt. Col (Ret) Carey James Land.

huggy87
02-16-2005, 07:22 PM
My condolonces. That must have been a bitter pill to swallow going from the F-86 to the B-26.

Cajun76
02-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Sorry for your loss. We should all pause at times to remember the extrodinary experiences and sacrifices of that generation, and to be thankful that the world is better than it might have been if they had wavered. S! to your Dad and all those who served.

(If you have it, I would love to hear his experinces and impressions of the P-47D and N.)

AFSG_Bulldog
02-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Slickun:

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father. My condolences to you and your family. Is your father listed in the veterans archives at the WWII Memorial in Washington DC?

wayno7777
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Godspeed and ~S~ -bump-

Bearcat99
02-16-2005, 08:12 PM
My heart and my prayers go out to you and your family. ~!S!~ to your father..... and I know it is no condolence but keep in mind that he will be watching you from eternity.

T_O_A_D
02-16-2005, 08:14 PM
My condolences and S! to your Pop! God rest his soul. I hope we get to fly when we get there!

Red_Russian13
02-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Salute to LtCol Land, and my condolences to you and your family.

Thank you very much for sharing your, and his, story with us. As a fellow veteran and with unbound respect for his generation, I would have greatly liked to talk with your father. His story is fascinating.

It is great that you had the opportunity to listen to him, and it's great that you took the time and effort to record his stories. I hope that someday, you will be able to share them with us.

Again, I offer my condolences for your loss, and a thanks to him for his service, and to you for your sharing.

Though he was not a Marine, I say Semper Fidelis, Sir.

Respectfully Submitted,

HD Allison
(Fmr) Sgt / USMC

BSS_Goat
02-16-2005, 08:41 PM
S! To LtCol Land. Sorry for your loss.

SithSpeeder
02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
S! to all the brave who served in the name of their country and did it with honor and duty. They will be sorely missed, but we will learn from them.

S! to Lt. Col Land.

And thanks for sharing with us, Slickun.

* _54th_Speeder *

GR142_Astro
02-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Terribly sorry to hear this Slickun.

Your pop sure led some kind of life. Incredible.

And yes, we are losing these fine men every day.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

womenfly
02-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Very sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad.

<span class="ev_code_PINK">"Remember that in everything you do in life, know that your Dad will always be your wingman."</span>

Lost my Dad 5 years ago ..... still miss him very much.

stubby
02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
May he rest in peace. He lived a full.

Maybe someday you could post some of the oral history of the man's life that you've painstakenly documented. Hearing his accounts would be golden. It was great that you had the presence of mind to record it. It's amazing to me how often stories like your fathers are lost forever because nobody made the time to record. God's speed to you and your family.

arne_and
02-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi slickun. Thank you, because you made me aware of that we are loosing these fine men every day, althoug it makes me sad. Im sorry for your loss, though i have no idea of how you feel, though I got a preview of the feeling of it when my dad got an hearthattack a couple of months ago, but thankfully survived.
Condolances to you and those around you.

Swivet
02-17-2005, 08:44 AM
My condolences Slick!
And a BIG ~S~ to your Dad. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif I thank him from the bottom of my heart for his service to make our country free! I thank all our veterans for their time and effort http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Semper Fi

woofiedog
02-17-2005, 02:40 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gifGod Bless.
Thank You for share your fathers story with us.

WalterNowi
02-17-2005, 02:42 PM
My condolences to your family.

S! to your dad for his service to our country.

Nowi

lrrp22
02-17-2005, 02:49 PM
My condolences, Slickun. I will raise a glass in his honor.

Oddly enough, just yesterday I was re-reading some of your posts regarding his experiences...

carguy_
02-17-2005, 06:43 PM
S! to your father Slickun.Tonights prayer is for him and your family.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Slickun
02-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks to all for the kind replies. We laid Pop to rest today with military honors at the Fayetteville Arkansas National Cemetery.

irrp22, I have posted quite a bit on his stories and experiences in the past. I'll do it again shortly. They include a lot of what we love to read. Dad flew a lot of US types, did racing and dogfights against a lot of other US types, especially USN and USMC, and had his opinions about them.

Again, thanks all.

Bearcat99
02-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Good Reading (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=3391091282&r=1701052282#1701052282)

Slickun...... if you dont mind... can you write up a summary of your fathers impressions fof the aircraft he flew.. and anything else you would be willing to share with us.... and i will put it on the Essential Reading list. It isnt often that we get the chance to get first hand accounts (well... second hand but honest and well recorded enough to be considered first hand IMO) from men who actually flew the planes so many of us have come to appreciate. Did you ever get the chance to show FB to your dad? if so what did he think of it?

jurinko
02-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Salute to your father, Slickun.

Eagle_361st
02-19-2005, 03:49 AM
Salute to the life of another true hero passing on to greater things. May he always live in your heart, as his and all of his brothers/sisters of that era sacrifices and contributions have made this world a better place.

Heavy_Weather
02-19-2005, 07:37 AM
~S~ to you and your father, may God take him home. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

John_Stag
02-19-2005, 08:19 AM
S! Slickun, and my condolences.