PDA

View Full Version : Mig Alley!?(and more)

ytareh
03-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Is this worth buying?(very cheap on ebay)Im only 6 months at PC "Gaming"(hope no one takes offence at the term!!!)/flight sims.I gave up on LOMAC after an hour (might get back into it later)at Christmas.Also B17 The Mighty Eighth did nothing for me.(Guess IL2/PF series spoils all other sims for us)I do like Wings of War which is a very arcade style WW1 flight sim-especially online where I tend not to get obliterated in milliseconds as in Hyperlobby PF/FB.Is there any point in buying Rowans BOB with the new one on the way?When?Is Silent Hunter3 out this week?

ytareh
03-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Is this worth buying?(very cheap on ebay)Im only 6 months at PC "Gaming"(hope no one takes offence at the term!!!)/flight sims.I gave up on LOMAC after an hour (might get back into it later)at Christmas.Also B17 The Mighty Eighth did nothing for me.(Guess IL2/PF series spoils all other sims for us)I do like Wings of War which is a very arcade style WW1 flight sim-especially online where I tend not to get obliterated in milliseconds as in Hyperlobby PF/FB.Is there any point in buying Rowans BOB with the new one on the way?When?Is Silent Hunter3 out this week?

Capt.England
03-13-2005, 11:27 AM
If your got windows XP, Don't get MiG Alley as it doesn't work (at least on my uber computer!)

Can't think of any good sims out there still. Your'e got the best at the moment!

ytareh
03-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Yep Ive got XP thanks Capt Eng!

CRSutton
03-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Played it maybe two hours. Never got it to work right on my computer. Trashed it a few months ago.

|CoB|_Spectre
03-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Doesn't work on XP? Don't tell my computer that, I played it yesterday for a couple of hours and I'm running XP Pro! While the graphics are somewhat dated, they still work well enough and the gameplay, IMHO, is excellent. If you enjoy flying the jets in the FB series, you should also enjoy MiG Alley, I would think. Devoid of techno stuff like SAMs, IR-seeking air-to-air missles and such, you're relying on the good ol' Mk. I eyeball and guns, just like FB+AEP+PF. The biggest difference is speed. There are some 3rd party enhancements to things like tracer graphics and sound files available. Google it, I seem to recall frugalsworld was a good source. I find the flight modeling is very welldone. One of the most underrated flight sims.

BSS_Goat
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
POUND HIM LEAD!

Badsight.
03-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Mig Alley 2 was mentioned here

im off to find out some info now if i can

tsisqua
03-13-2005, 08:44 PM
If you have service pack II, you may be missing a file that you need to run 16 bit applications. I know this because it happened to me. Conveniently, if you look in your Windows folder, and find the folder called "repair", there is a file in there called: autoexec.nt . It goes in your sys 32 folder in Windows.

Mig Alley is rather dated, in light of what we have here. Was one of those "good ole' games", but I suspect you will be disapointed.

Good luck all.
Tsisqua

3.JG51_BigBear
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I didn't even think Mig Alley was all that great when it was new.

Capt.England
03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
The problem I had was that the program failed to install to my P.C.

The disk worked on Win-doze 98, but for some reason does not like my P4 3.02 Ghz machine.

BTW, The disk is still near mint, with no marks on it. Any help in getting it working? p.s. tried compatibility mode so no luck with that!

|CoB|_Spectre
03-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Capt.England, IIRC my installation was pretty straightforward, but there may be some detail I don't remember. Checkout this link on installation at http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11080

I checked my startup icon and didn't see any checkmarks for compatibility mode. I did download and install the v1.23 patch and some of the addons for tracer sprites, gun sounds and so forth. Is it on par with FB+AEP+PF? No, but what sim is? I hope you can get it working. People's opinions on it are as varied as they are for the IL-2 series, so try it out for yourself.

Capt.England
03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
Capt.England, IIRC my installation was pretty straightforward, but there may be some detail I don't remember. Checkout this link on installation at http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11080

I checked my startup icon and didn't see any checkmarks for compatibility mode. I did download and install the v1.23 patch and some of the addons for tracer sprites, gun sounds and so forth. Is it on par with FB+AEP+PF? No, but what sim is? I hope you can get it working. People's opinions on it are as varied as they are for the IL-2 series, so try it out for yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the help mate! Will try what you have said and see if it works. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yimmy
03-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I think Mig Alley is the best dogfighting game I have ever played, I would highly reccomend getting it.

That said, it can be a ***** getting it to run on XP, a mate of mine had to direct me all over the place doing this and that to get it to work though, so it can be done.

bird_brain
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I played it a bunch but kept getting CTDs right when I finished the mission. Patches never fixed it so I quit playing it. Good game but very frustrating. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

wayno7777
03-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, the Mig Alley\BOB site is here...:
http://www.bob-ma.org/