PDA

View Full Version : ARGH!!!

Mr_Zooly
12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I have redcently changed my graphic from an 8600gt to a 9800gt, right now that is out the way here is my problem:
I get (occasionally) video driver errors (cant remember the exact wording) something about a failure I think. I have the very latest drivers.
P.S.
Its getting worse and its only with il2.

Mr_Zooly
12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I have redcently changed my graphic from an 8600gt to a 9800gt, right now that is out the way here is my problem:
I get (occasionally) video driver errors (cant remember the exact wording) something about a failure I think. I have the very latest drivers.
P.S.
Its getting worse and its only with il2.

dirkpit7
12-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Does the error message read "Display driver nvlddkmk stopped responding and has succesfully recovered" ?

I have this problem happening very often with IL-2 but not with other games.

Here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4101018286?r=4101018286#4101018286) is a thread about it and a possible solution by RAF_OldBuzzard. His method did not work for me, but if you are having the same problem you could try it.

Mr_Zooly
12-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Thay looks about right, darn frustrating it is too. I'll give it a try thanks.

RAF_OldBuzzard
12-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Yeah, the MSCONFIG/BOOT fix works for some, but not for others. Just so you don't have to do a lot of searching, here it is:

msconfig/boot fix:
1. Run MSCONFIG in a command prompt.
2. Click the BOOT tab
3. Click on ADVANCED options.
4. Put a CHECK in "Number of Processors", and then select the number of processors your system has. , 1 for a single, 2 for a dual core, 4 for a quad.
5. Put a CHECK in "Maximum memory", and key in amount of RAM you have.
6. Click OK, Click APPLY, and re-boot when prompted.

There is also a registry change that you can try. Again, it works for some, but not for others. Here is a post from Driverheaven that is very good and explains how to install it:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Re: Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs through WDDM

TdrLevel: REG_DWORD. The initial level of recovery. The possible values are:
" TdrLevelOff (0). Detection disabled.
" TdrLevelBugcheck (1) Bug check on detected timeout, for example, no recovery.
" TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) Recover to VGA (not implemented).
" TdrLevelRecover(3) Recover on timeout. This is the default value.

TdrDelay: REG_DWORD. The number of seconds that the GPU is allowed to delay the preempt request from the scheduler. This is effectively the timeout threshold.
The default value is 2. The new value is 16 (10 hex).

TdrDdiDelay: REG_DWORD. The number of seconds that the operating system allows threads to leave the driver. After a specified time, the operating system bug checks the system with the code VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (0x116). The default value is 5.

TdrDebugMode: REG_DWORD: The debugging-related behavior of the TDR process.
" TDR_DEBUG_MODE_OFF (0) breaks to kernel debugger before the recovery to allow investigation of the timeout.
" TDR_DEBUG_MODE_IGNORE_TIMEOUT (1) ignores any timeout.
" TDR_DEBUG_MODE_RECOVER_NO_PROMPT (2) recovers without break into the debugger. This is the default value.
" TDR_DEBUG_MODE_RECOVER_UNCONDITIONAL (3) recovers even if some recovery conditions are not met (for example, recovers on consecutive timeouts).

Create Registry Key Files
tdr-set.reg - Add TDR registry keys
tdr-clear.reg - Remove TDR registry keys
Use the cut-and-paste code shown below to create the two registry files.
Once the two registy files are created you can double click on the one desired to add or remove the TDR registry keys.

Add/Change TDR Debug Registry Keys

Code:
### Cut and Paste to tdr-set.reg ###
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers]
"TdrLevel"=dword:00000003
"TdrDelay"=dword:00000010
"TdrDdiDelay"=dword:00000005
"TdrDebugMode"=dword:00000002
Remove TDR Debug Registry Keys

Code:
### Cut and Paste to tdr-clear.reg ###
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers]
"TdrLevel"=-
"TdrDelay"=-
"TdrDdiDelay"=-
"TdrDebugMode"=- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This info came from a MS web page on TDR's

Mr_Zooly
12-29-2008, 09:04 AM
The config change didnt work http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

fhirai
12-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Have you tried running the game on Direct X, I was having the same problems, but when I tried this, it stoped having that errors.
I hope this helps!

Ba5tard5word
12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
That kept happening to me recently, I reinstalled my video drivers and it seemed to help...

Also if you're using the 180 series nvidia Beta drivers, I find that they make my games crash frequently. I switched back to 178.24 and don't get the constant crashes.

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm running the 178.24s as well, no problems here.

Mr_Zooly
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
But what about the other games I play? I have to revert to older drivers and possible performance hits to my other games? or is there some switch option between drivers?