PDA

View Full Version : Why was 2nd island type in The New World removed?

k4Qu
04-25-2019, 06:09 PM
I really liked the other type of islands that were in the betas. They had a more dark greenish or green blue environmental fog and had a more hostile vibe to them.

I havent seen them in any of my maps so far, so I guess they have been removed. I think this was a mistake and would love to see them back!

Humility925
04-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Do you had any screenshot for this?

k4Qu
04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
sadly i didnt take screens, but you can see it in this yt video (https://youtu.be/UYuHA-VV3do?t=14099). there are kinda different hues of lighting, the sea has a different color, and so does the beach. im sure vegetation has a different color too. those islands sometimes had like clearings with only tall grass.

i also have this almost worthless picture (https://pasteboard.co/IbO7tUx.png) i took with my phone to mock a friend. i built my settlement in one of those clearings, you can kinda make out the tall grass that, to my knowledge, you wont find in the release version. the jungle tree tops in the background are also a bit darker than the ones you find now, plus the beach is this pale white/grayish. but since its a phone cam picture its kinda vague.

all the islands in the release version are the ones with the warm yellow lighting, yellow beaches, bright blue ocean. i think the difference is kinda noticable although the footage is kinda meh

sry i dont have more. maybe youre more lucky with someone from yt or twitch. but most of them were promoting plebs that didnt get very far ..

Zmarti
04-26-2019, 11:40 AM
You're right, very weird. I'm interested to see why they removed them.

k4Qu
04-27-2019, 12:33 AM
Its probably just a design choice because its otherwise inconsistent with the other session. Also since its purely cosmetic it might confuse the player, if for no apparent reason islands look differently. Probably it was a loose end of some feature/mechanic they tested but didnt make it into the game.

I dont think it would have hurt to leave it as it was. But every designer/director has his vision of what the game should be. Even if there was no gameplay mechanic tied to the different visuals it would have been okay imo. Might be off putting when confronted with it initially, but its also quite apparent that its just a visual variety and no properties tied to it.

It might also be that since players might have strong preferences, they will be forced to decide between an island they like visually and an island that has the better stats but the visual you like less. Not really a decision you want to have the player make.

Amajuda
04-27-2019, 04:30 AM
What I would like is one of those islands in the video with no rivers whatsoever.

k4Qu
04-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Hm I never noticed they removed the islands without rivers since i really like them. Seems weird since they have both in the old world. Maybe its connected to islands difficulty? Ive only played on hard so far.