PDA

View Full Version : New battery skill mod won't fix skill mods being bad

xcel30
04-24-2019, 04:46 PM
They are adding a new type of mods for skills that won't give any stats except skillpower for that skill so it will make it easier for you to equip an skill mod in other slots, this is great for red builds wich are the game meta, doesn't fix a single goddanm thing about skills being awful, skill mods being awful. So congrats you made so it's easier to access extrmeley bad skill mods

Diedel443
04-24-2019, 06:23 PM
They are adding a new type of mods for skills that won't give any stats except skillpower for that skill so it will make it easier for you to equip an skill mod in other slots, this is great for red builds wich are the game meta, doesn't fix a single goddanm thing about skills being awful, skill mods being awful. So congrats you made so it's easier to access extrmeley bad skill mods

I find it a really strange attempt to "fix" the problem. I think it will be a nice addition, ignore skill power but still get one really nice mod for a skill, but i don't see it fixing any of the real problems with the system.

xcel30
04-24-2019, 08:03 PM
I find it a really strange attempt to "fix" the problem. I think it will be a nice addition, ignore skill power but still get one really nice mod for a skill, but i don't see it fixing any of the real problems with the system.

I mean for non skillpower build, this is an interesting compromise, since you can't use mods due skillpower sacrifice a slot with a battery to get to use another one in another slot.

Joonnnyy
04-24-2019, 09:14 PM
for non skillpower builds its ok, if you get good enough skillpower to actually get anything usefull in the other slot
for build with medium to high skillpower on the other hand its less good, since you loose one or more slots to equipt already usable mods in

the reeeal porblem is not the unequiptability of mods, which is still a small problem
the real problem is the rather low return you get for investing in skillpower
currently you get 1%dmg per 100 skillpower, if you find 3 good mods, for each slot 1, then you can with 2000 skillpower get a total of +60%dmg for a skill, at least chem launher only has 2 slots so only +40% here
so if we take the skills, which are slightly weaker then weapons befor any attributes, and then look at how much upgrades you can get to weapon dmg instead of said 60% skilldmg, then these weapon upgrades alone are at least as potent as the skill upgrades

small example, is definetly not the best skillbuild around but should help understand the problem for some skills
if i want 2k skillpower i could go for 800 on the chest and 600 each on the holster and backpack, to allow my turret to deal +60%dmg
if i would take weapon dmg on chest and backpack instead and crit chance on the holster then i would get~11% onb the vest, ~8% onthe backpack and ~11%chc on the holster
the turret deals 6.2k dmg without any mods at a rof of ~750rpm(guessed from ingame behavior, so not that accurate)
an good G36 deals 12k dmg up to 12.9k dmg at a similar or the same rpm
using the 60% increased dmg form mods the turret would deal ~3.7k more dmg per shot, meanwhile the g36 would deal ~2350 dmg per shot more from weapondmg alone
the turrets dmg can only be increased by very specific talents like tech support that are hard to have very reliably, but with the weapon you can easyly get additional critdmg, headshotdmg or dmg to elites, which each would increase the weapon dmg multiplicatively so our increasement with +100% dte (values of up to 145% are possible with talents mask attribute and readily available weaponmods) would already be higher vs elites then the additional turret dmg
weapon talents and other attributes can further increase the weapondmg sometimes in a multiplicative sometimes in an additive way so further calculation becomes very complex very fast

in the end, in my opinion, skillmods seem weak compared to the amount of weapon dmg potential you have to sacrifice, buffs for skillmods could reduzce this problem, but it may not make all skills viable
support and cc skills need different mods, especially duration, healing, cooldownreduction and in some caes range, which also feel rather weak when compared to what has to be given up
so a rebalance of most skills to improve the usability would also go a very long way to improve the skillmods, but alone wont make them good enough
so ultimately i think we need better skills (not purely dmg/heal wise, more usability like range, duration and cooldown) and a rebalance of the modrequirements, so we can get proper use on certain aspects of skills and get eg very big riotfoam for a meaningful amount of time from the chemlaunccher instad of the tiny patch where duration is almost ahlf gone once i switch to my main gun

stryfe..
04-24-2019, 10:17 PM
I can respect that skills do need some work.. Not everyone wants to pew pew guns, some would rather use skills to heal their team with support or use skills as a way of crowd control. I actually have a friend that used to play Division 1 that was really disappointed he couldn't run a seeker build like he used in Division 1. He's a great PvP player but rather run skills.

Kwoung
04-25-2019, 12:33 AM
I don't have a red build, mostly B/Y, I still cannot however, equip any mods I loot on my turret or drone. I think this is a good change, if it allows me to minimally up the damage or increase the duration of my turrets and drones. I would rather give up a slot or two for batteries, to get a 20% increase say, over it being totally base stats. To date, I have a alt that crafts at 250, as I never upgraded the station on him. He will make all my mods going forward as they all only cost 500-1K to use, until they give me another option. Even with a B/Y build, hitting 1.8-2.5K skill power in order to increase damage, healing or duration, is unattainable, I would need a full on yellow build to use 99% of the mods I have looted, which isn't going to happen.

Hyperion_UK
04-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Even with a B/Y build, hitting 1.8-2.5K skill power in order to increase damage, healing or duration, is unattainable

Why is it unattainable? I am running a 5/3/8 and I have 2752 base skill power and just over 3k seeker skill power.