PDA

View Full Version : Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 24" WS TFT someone?

Tte.Costa
09-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I´m thinking about buying this monitor but I don´t know if 0'270 pixel pitch offers a good enough image cuality.
Has someone this or a 0'270 pixel pitch monitor?
Oppinions will be appreciated
Tx in advance. Tte.Costa

huggy87
09-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Just ordered mine yesterday.

Look here for reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2407WFP/4505-31...1899303.html?tag=sub (http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2407WFP/4505-3174_7-31899303.html?tag=sub)

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Ken_Det
09-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a Dell 1905FP ultra sharp, and it works great.

clax82
09-30-2006, 04:40 PM
hey, I have this monitor and will gladly share my opinion of it with you

first of all, it is lovely and a pleasure to use. the image quality is great, although you may notice slight distortions in colour when you look at it from wide angles. that is the case with all lcds, and if you're sitting in front of it and not to the side it shouldnt bother you.

the response time is fairly good, but not perfect. you will notice the difference if you are picky like I am, and it took me some time to get over that fact. what i tend to experience is a very minor motion blur when panning view in a game, it seems to make it difficult to focus on the monitor if you quickly flick around your vision. it is something that most people seem to be able to live with, some dont even notice it. occasionally you will notice a small amount of ghosting, but it really depends on the scene that you're looking at (i.e. ghosting only seems to occur where the pixel has to change state from one end of the spectrum to the opposite end, so you dont normally see it, only in areas of very high contrasting colours). overall there is minimal ghosting, but certain games show it more than others. eg. hl2 tends to show off ghosting a lot more than others, i dont think ive even noticed any ghosting in il2.

another thing you may want to know is that the monitor is very bright and it may take some time to get used to. apart from that, my only real complaint is related to the slight motion blur that i notice.

and also remember that you will need a high performance gfx card always if you intend to use 1920x1200 always for gaming. do note that 1680x1050 scales beautifully on this monitor as its the same aspect ratio and you will note little disadvantage to using it.

IL2 will either have to stretch or be boxed as it doesnt support widescreen, it doesnt look too bad stretched to be honest. So hopefully BoB will support widescreen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

personally if I could wind back time I would have probably got the 30" dell back when it was offered here for cheap (new zealand), not that the 24" is bad, its just that once youve tried a large monitor you really get hungry for a big screen in front of you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. unfortunately at the time I got the 24" it was quite a big deal to me, but had I realised that I'd be working the 60hr weeks that im working now I woulda splurged the extra cost for the 30".... oh well, easy to say that with heinsight (the 30" went up in price by a few hundred so it woulda been a good buy at the time)

if you have any other questions i will try to check back later

TX-Gunslinger
09-30-2006, 05:15 PM
I use a 2405 Dell for Il2 at home and love it.

I have several 2407's and a 3007 at work. I do love the 3007 but you have to have a dual-dvi video card to drive it. The monitor only has this input (no analog).

I'm about to order 8, 3007 monitors for a project at work, and just found out that the price has been recently reduced significantly.

For Il2, I recommend the 24 inch. If you have other applications that could use the 2560 X 1600 resolution, then maybe the 30 inch would work for you, but it's certainly not going to be optimal for serious online flying on icons-off servers. Optimum resolution for spotting aircraft is 1152 X 864. Higher than this resolution, dot range degrades significantly, at least on LCD's.

If you do get the 3007, just make sure you have a newer dual-DVI capable video card.

S~

woofiedog
10-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Have had my Dell UltraSharp 18inch since 2002 and still as Good as New.

Tte.Costa
10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Tx all for your responses.
clax82: Tx to share it. Are you using trackIr?
I do and I´m little afraid about ghosting.
Saludos Tte.Costa

clax82
10-02-2006, 04:14 AM
i dont use trackir, what i can tell you is that you may notice slight ghosting / blur like i mentioned.... it is really very minimal, but its there and people should be aware of it. im not one to gloss over the bad points of a monitor just because it was expensive and looks pretty

its something you really need to see for yourself to be able to judge, personally i found it a little bit annoying at first and then just got used to it because the other advantages of the screen make up for it.. and im fairly picky so it really depends on what your tolerence is like, and if you will even notice it. some people dont even notice it at all

Vanderstok
10-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by clax82:
...IL2 will either have to stretch or be boxed as it doesnt support widescreen, it doesnt look too bad stretched to be honest. So hopefully BoB will support widescreen Wink

Is this true? I am running IL2 in 1280x1024 with the correct AR (it's not widescreen, but is different than default AR). This is not supported from ILconfig, but it works anyway when you set it manually in the config file (you have to change some other parameters as well, but I would have to look those up).

Fork-N-spoon
10-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks to those that actually have the monitor, that the topic started asked about, and sharing your experiences. I€ve been watching this monitor for two years now. At first, they were too pricey. With the introduction of the 30€ wide screen 3007, the price of the 2407FWP 24€ monitors has plummeted. I€ve seen them on eBay for 600.00 to 700.00 shipping included. These monitors that I speak of were made for Dell and are brand new and not refurbished, not that there€s anything wrong with refurbished parts.

I€ve been thinking about trying one, but since a few people have noticed ghosting I think that I€ll wait a bit longer. I€ve a very keen eye for detail and I can tell you that I€ve seen ghosting on other people€s monitors and I didn€t like it. With two or three others watching the same screen that I was, not one even noticed the ghosting. It€s much like the refresh rates on CRTs. For example, 100 people watch a CRT monitor at various refresh rated, individually of course to avoid peer pressure. While the average may be 72 Hertz when the majority stops seeing a flicker, there are going to be some that say the flicker went away at 60 or 65 Hertz. Then too, there are going to be some that still saw a flicker at 80 to 90 Hertz. People with exceptional eyesight will be able to notice a slight flicker at well over 100. Personally, something appears wrong with my CRT monitor at 85 Hertz. It€s because at 85 Hertz I can still see a slight flicker. At 90 Hertz or higher, I can no longer notice any flicker. Anything above 90/95 or higher all looks the same to me, with the exception of slight screen tearing on certain occasions. Screen tearing is the only way I can tell how one monitor has a higher refresh rate than the other. I do know that verticle/sync will take this away.

There are too many variables when it comes to sight. I€ve read all the rants from people that say that you can€t see a flicker above 60 frames per second and I€m here to tell those people that they simply have inferior eyesight. Considering that the average person can discern between a flicker and no flicker at 72 fps. Some fighter pilots with exceptional vision can watch a film run at 200 fps and pick out and identify one silhouette of an aircraft that was only run for one frame. That€s mind boggling to me, able to distinguish one frame at 200 fps.

Well thanks again to those that posted their experiences with the 2407. I may just have to wait until something better comes along. Has anybody had both the 2407 24€ FWP and the 3007 30€ FWP and able to share their differences? Besides the fact that the 2407 is half as much as the 3007.

huggy87
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I just got my 2407fpw yesterday and so far I am very happy with it. I haven't tried it with FB yet.

Tte.Costa
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Please huggy87 try it and share your opinions...
Today I got the oportunity to try IL-2 in a Samsung SyncMaster 172v ( 17" 25ms, don´t know if it is 25ms grey to grey or black to wite?) with trackIr. I can notice the ghosting efect and some blur when paning fast but the overall
image quality is grat, allso for my tired eyes.
So I think 24"ww 8ms grey to grey responce time must be a great experiencie.

Tx Fork-N-spoon to say exactly my feelings in a understenable english