PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the P-39Q10 and others Post patch?

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
I am tired already of hearing about the K4 and the Dora being a little clipped in 1.1b.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the post-patch airacobra a delight to fly. If the FM is accurate, I can now see what the Soviet pilots saw in this plane at low/intermediate altitude that the other allied pilots failed to recognize. As long as you stay away from the very nasty spin cycle, it is a stable gun platform, difficult to stall, tight turning, hard hitting enough, but still underpowered compared to the better German planes. I do find, however, that it is difficult for the Luftwaffe to shake me if I get on their tails. I just find myself wishing the Army brass had not neutered the turbosupercharger out of the prototype or this airframe may have been as revered as the F6F, Corsair, or 'stang to American pilots. I like the "kill" challenge the airacobra presents as it has to be more of a turn fighter than a b&z a/c than many of the other choices one can make.

Your thoughts?

BTW, I really like the P-40 now too. All except for its inability to close with 109s, and the 190 seems to totally outclass it, but it is a sweet flyer if one can keep it from overheating.

I'd really love the chance to fly a P-51, though its presence might unbalance the game unless it is as prone to damage as it was in reality, being a high speed liquid cooled flying fuel bomb. The P-51 is the epitome of the double edged sword, one that was extremely lethal, but not all that impervious to even relatively light damage.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
I am tired already of hearing about the K4 and the Dora being a little clipped in 1.1b.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the post-patch airacobra a delight to fly. If the FM is accurate, I can now see what the Soviet pilots saw in this plane at low/intermediate altitude that the other allied pilots failed to recognize. As long as you stay away from the very nasty spin cycle, it is a stable gun platform, difficult to stall, tight turning, hard hitting enough, but still underpowered compared to the better German planes. I do find, however, that it is difficult for the Luftwaffe to shake me if I get on their tails. I just find myself wishing the Army brass had not neutered the turbosupercharger out of the prototype or this airframe may have been as revered as the F6F, Corsair, or 'stang to American pilots. I like the "kill" challenge the airacobra presents as it has to be more of a turn fighter than a b&z a/c than many of the other choices one can make.

Your thoughts?

BTW, I really like the P-40 now too. All except for its inability to close with 109s, and the 190 seems to totally outclass it, but it is a sweet flyer if one can keep it from overheating.

I'd really love the chance to fly a P-51, though its presence might unbalance the game unless it is as prone to damage as it was in reality, being a high speed liquid cooled flying fuel bomb. The P-51 is the epitome of the double edged sword, one that was extremely lethal, but not all that impervious to even relatively light damage.

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 12:00 AM
The Russians took armor off of the P39 models that we gave them...so the Airacobra handled and maneuvered a tad better for them. A lot of people complain about the P39 being "too good" in FB, but Oleg has modeled the P39 very accurately to history. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Steaks
375th FS

Is it Pets Mart...or Pet Smart????

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 12:07 AM
I think the P51 will be a really fun match for a Dora. I look forward to getting some good coops going with them up high.

"Ich bin ein Wuergerwhiner"

"The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoption compromise solutions." --Erwin Rommel

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/Mesig.jpg
--NJG26_Killa--

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 12:14 AM
The Q10 it's a delight! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I liked her before and I like it now even more /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>"The show must go on..."<center>
<center>http://www.btinternet.com/~jj_b/vaw/images/iar81t.jpg </center>
<center>A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great'
landing is one after which they can use the plane again<center>

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 12:27 AM
She has a much improved climb. Being a energy fighter it is hard for a German aircraft to shake her because she retains her E so well. As soon as they straighten out they just pull away. One thing I have noticed though is that she lost her amazing zoom climb ability... Oh another thing I noticed is that she will out accelerate a A9 in a dive.

<div align='center'>
<a href='http://greatergreen.com/il2/'>
http://members.shaw.ca/corn/il2sig2.jpg
</a>
</div>