PDA

View Full Version : In Memorium

Bearcat99
08-06-2006, 02:05 PM
To the people of Hiroshima living and dead....
May what you experienced on this day in 1945 never happen again. Sometimes it seems futile to even hope for such a thing given the way mankind behaves.. but it hasnt happened yet.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

clayman_52
08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Somber day.

Yes Bearcat, mankind has hung in there. But as these "life lessons" fade from living memory ...................

Bearcat99
08-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes indeed.... with some of the stuff out now it is scary and it seems inevitable that this will happen sooner somewhere rather than later. But we can dare to hope.....

Please.... to future posters in this thread if any... lets not turn this into a "Was the bomb justified " thread please. I didnt post it to debate the rightness or wrongness of the bombing. I have my own opiniuons as I am sure most of the 20+ folks who have glanced at the thread do. Ill keep my opinions on that to myself.

That is not the issue. I posted it just to remind us all that it happened and I guess it was my way of remembering the victims. I have seen threads like this in the past turn into debates that go from who committed the worse wartime attrcities to who suffered the most etc.... Lets just NOT go there.

knightflyte
08-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm surprised to NOT see any topics in the IL2/PF forums concerning the 61st anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.....except for this one.

I'm even more surprised that there are only 2 comments.

I can only hope with the greatest optomism I am capable of mustering, that NEVER again will humans suffer from such an attack.

Bearcat99
08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
You and I both.... and I must say I am a bit dissapointed.... I was surprised that there wasnt one.

-HH-Quazi
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, I just checked in to this forum for the first time today at this moment, or I would have expressed my condolenses and support for your statements. And with that said, my prayers and thoughts are with the surviours of this terrible action of war and condolenses for those family members still alive that had friends and family killed on that fateful day.

wayno7777
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Same here. May it NEVER happen again....

Sintubin
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
No words http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-07-2006, 12:58 PM
My Grandfather was in the 20th AF 509th composite group and was on Tinian. He spoke proudly of the things he was a part of. He also said (many years later) he felt sorry for the people that had to endure the horror.

My Wife and I watched a special on the History channel about it this weekend and I saw a number of people portrayed I've had the pleasure of meeting in person. The REAL story, IMO, was the story of the survivors. Truly sad for them.

TB

J_Anonymous
08-08-2006, 10:20 AM
My father lived in a small city a few hours away from Hiroshima on that day, and was one of those kids who were sent into the city for "clean up" in the aftermath, weeks after the bombing. He was a 14 year old boy at that time. I can't imagine the horror they witnessed. He told me about his participation in the post-war "clean up" (of "charred wood" which were actually blackened bodies...) only after I reached my adulthood. I guess he didn't want to scare me too much about my potential inheritance of the higher risks having radiation induced cancer. Statistically, I probably do have higher risks to get cancer than normal people. He also said he did not even want to remember what he saw there. He factually told me about these once, only once.

I still remeber when I found the address list of alumni newsletter of his junior high school. My eyes were fixated on the "deceased," and I counted --- I was anxiously trying to figure out how many of my father's friends may have died with radiation sustained during the clean up.

May peace prevail on earth. Thank you for your thought Bearcat.

Edit : Forgot to say.... My father is still alive. I never figured out how many of his friends who died in 1940's or 50's did so because of radiation, or just because malnutrition, TB, etc.

Haigotron
08-08-2006, 01:10 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif As mentioned before, may this never happen again, my heart goes on to the survivors, their famillies, and to the memories of the dead

It is great to see that these cities are rebuilt and bussling with life again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HitchHikerHSDWG
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd like to say mankind has come a long way from then but really we have'nt. Its sad so many innocent people lost there lives. RIP

Zeus-cat
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Good post Bearcat. May it never happen again.

Tomorrow is Aug 9th, the anniversary for Nagasaki.

Zeus-cat

Bearcat99
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I got a PM from someone who asked me why this event gets mention and no mention of the victims of Japanese atrocities.... that it seems so many people pay attention to it.... and not other things...

Hiroshima and Nagasaki stand out in human history in my humble opinion because even if you ignore the people who died from radiation years later..... no other event in human history... that I know of anyway.. killed as many people in the same amount of time..... @ 80,000 were killed outright.... in a matter of seconds... with another 70-90K within a year from radiation... that is an incredible milestone in human history.

I wont and cant debate the rightness or wrongness of the decision, I wasnt there and I cant second guess the military planers of the day. When I was younger and dumber I thought I could... and I was sure I was "right"... whatever that is... but with time and maturity I realize that I cant even play Monday QB to such an event... I can just be glad that I didnt have to make the decision... I have my opinions on it but I will keep them to myself....

Crash_Moses
08-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Amen...

...and people do pay attention to the "other" things...usually on their respective dates...

Pearl Harbor, D-Day, the Bataan Death March, the Holocaust...

I've seen them all mentioned...regularly.

mrsiCkstar
08-09-2006, 10:17 AM
great thread bearcat and I'm completely in agreeance with you about the endless debate that always seems to come up.

Here's to hoping it'll never happen again.

zaelu
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
A sad day in history.

We should understand our own actions. Only if we don't seek the guilt or revenge we might be abble to understand why we are constantly doing those kind of acts. No matter the nation, the race or religion we are mistaken alike. We are one single human race... one. We can be shure about it by looking at the similarity of our wrongs.

Nevertheless we shoudn't stop trying to learn and do better.

Tater-SW-
08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
@ 80,000 were killed outright.... in a matter of seconds...

I believe the majority died in the firestorm that followed the detonation in the same way 100,000+ died in Tokyo earlier that year. The numbers I have seen for dead in Hiroshima on the day of the bombing range from 44-59,000 (80,000 within days or weeks), with a total over a long time period of years at ~130k.

Certainly it was an unfortunate milestone in human history since the ability to wage that kind of total war was now easier than it had been in the past (a bad thing). In terms of the death toll, it was unfortunately a somewhat routine day during the Second World War.

So I think its historical importance has more to do with opening the possibility of total nuclear destruction more than it stands apart for the actual events in Hiroshima.

My point is not to minimize the deaths in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but rather to NOT minimize the deaths due to other causes of 50,000,000+ other human beings during WW2 by comparison.

tater

Bearcat99
08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Or any of the other horrors mankind has inflicted upon itself... from the African slave trade to the killing fields of Pol Pot.. to the horrors of Rawanda.. to the near extinction of the indiginous North Americans ... Idi Amin's reign of terror... the list is endless.

Tater-SW-
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
True enough.

The "singularity" of the A-bombings certainly provides and easy way to memorialize on a specific day, where the slave trade (to the Americans, as well as on the African continent) doesn't have such a single day---the horror was spread out over generations of ruined lives.

RIP.

tater

VF51_Flatspin
08-09-2006, 05:33 PM
On August 9th, 1995 I was on a US Navy Ship that arrived in Nagasaki...on the 50th anniversary. We stayed 4 days and though our reception was chilly at first, by the time we left the locals had warmed up to us a bit. Of the 1000+ officers and sailors on our ship, >880 went to the Atomic Bomb Museum and visited the Peace Park. The Nagasaki public was impressed that so many went to these places. The museum is truly an eye opener.

I hope to God this never happens again.

Bearcat99
08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Amen