PDA

View Full Version : Sound: Nosedive sough/howling

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 10:38 PM
The sound and most of the other things are really great in this game, now. There is just one thing that usually adds a lot of atmosphere to WWII aircombat movies, but is totally missing in the game:

The typical siren like howling sound that is produced when a plane is nosediving at high speed (or falling like a stone after being shot down).

I tested that with several planes but did never hear anything like that, neither from inside nor from outside (except for the Stuka sirens which are nicely implemented). Also I didn't observe any noise caused by turbulences or creaking noises from the stressed frame that cerainly must occur at such high speeds (or before stalling). Even when the wings of my Hurricane were torn off due to the high speed I didn't hear a single noise just before (except the FF rattling of my joystick). This is a real pitty because those kind of noises not only add A LOT to the immersion, they also provide useful feedback that warns you when you are about to exceed the limits of your plane. As far as I remember, at least the "about-to-stall-noise" was present in the original version of the game. Why has this been remomved?

Please reimplement at least what was already there. Besides that, I really like the new sounds.

Keep at the excellent work!

- spit

Message Edited on 12/09/0309:41PM by spitfireCH

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 10:38 PM
The sound and most of the other things are really great in this game, now. There is just one thing that usually adds a lot of atmosphere to WWII aircombat movies, but is totally missing in the game:

The typical siren like howling sound that is produced when a plane is nosediving at high speed (or falling like a stone after being shot down).

I tested that with several planes but did never hear anything like that, neither from inside nor from outside (except for the Stuka sirens which are nicely implemented). Also I didn't observe any noise caused by turbulences or creaking noises from the stressed frame that cerainly must occur at such high speeds (or before stalling). Even when the wings of my Hurricane were torn off due to the high speed I didn't hear a single noise just before (except the FF rattling of my joystick). This is a real pitty because those kind of noises not only add A LOT to the immersion, they also provide useful feedback that warns you when you are about to exceed the limits of your plane. As far as I remember, at least the "about-to-stall-noise" was present in the original version of the game. Why has this been remomved?

Please reimplement at least what was already there. Besides that, I really like the new sounds.

Keep at the excellent work!

- spit

Message Edited on 12/09/0309:41PM by spitfireCH

XyZspineZyX
12-10-2003, 08:48 AM
Well as far as the howling goes I think that is mostly a hollywood gimic. I think there were a few planes that make whisling or howling noises at high speed because of little oddities in the areodynamics . I think the corsair made a whisting noise at high speed please correct me if im wrong.The stuka sieren was a pychological weapon use to scare the living helll out of who ever was on the ground when it was coming in for the kill. I do agree there could be a little more structual noise when the plane is falling apart but its not that big of deal . when you are going down fast enough its imposible to read the altimiter and the speed indorcator is peged out you know your in a world of Sh!t /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif .
Good Hunting

http://www16.brinkster.com/hawkspage/hawkssig.jpg

Your not getting my buffalo wings

XyZspineZyX
12-11-2003, 07:32 PM
i dont want any special Diving sound in the game, it only makes BnZ more harder than its now.

XyZspineZyX
12-12-2003, 07:21 PM
It's possible that it's partially a hollywood gimic. But it surely creates atmosphere, a thing, which is never bad. It could be an option to switch on and off. However, I am sure that every plane creates hell of wind noises when it is at "critical speed", just before to breake apart. If the plane was areodynamically perfect, it would not break apart at high speed. If I am not totally wrong, the wings are torn off by turbulences, something that one should hear. Of course you can watch the instruments, but that's simply not the same level of immersion. A feedback that directly adresses your senses is much more effective. Usually you don't even realize it's there, you just make use of it. You could also fly with no sound at all, just with instruments, but I think you agree that this would certainly not be the same experience.

For example the noise, that WAS there in the original version, when you were about to stall. I never really realized it was there, I just used it as a warning unknowingly. Now, that this noise is strangely gone, I'm stalling much more often due to the lack of this feedback. I know that I'm not the only person who misses that, because the "lacking noises" have already been discussed in other forums. Ok, the high-speed noise would be a new one, but the stall-noise just needs to be reactivated, cannot be difficult.

@ Enofinu what is BnZ? Anyway, if it's just a switchable option, that should be no problem for anybody.

Good Hunting you too and enjoy the weekend!

- spit

Spiffae
12-14-2003, 09:16 AM
spitfireCH wrote:
- @ Enofinu what is BnZ? Anyway, if it's just a
- switchable option, that should be no problem for
- anybody.
-
-

lol!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

<center>http://www.imagemagician.com/images/spiffae/sig.jpg
</center>

Message Edited on 12/14/0303:16AM by Spiffae

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 12:58 PM
It is not a Hollood Gimmick!

It is the propellor doing extremly high revs and becoming 'air siren'!

The Jericho proppelor sirens should make more noise since this screaming sound was used to terrify the enemy I am hardly terrified (Dissapointed at most)when hearing these sirens at the moment, are you?

Also the bombs on the Stuka Featured whistles for the same task that enhanced the natural whistle that bombs make also missing in FB!?
WWII survivors of air raids told me that they could tell by the lengt of the whistle of a dropped bomb one could tell how close it would fall, the shorter the whistle the closer it would drop!(Much like the lengt between Flash and Thunder)

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 03:10 PM
How did you activate the Stuka siren anyway? Never found out. I do a natural dive and nothing happened.

http://www.assonetart.com/APairofAces.jpg

Like the moon over
The day, my genious and brawn
Are lost on these fools
~haiku

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Flak could have a little more `oomph` to them. Ah then again, maybe not. Sound seems to be Oleg`s Achilles` heel....

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.
(Spitfire Whiner member).

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 10:16 PM
So what on earth is BnZ? Please don't let me die completely dumb.

You can activate the Stuka siren by activating the airbrakes.

Right, I also missed the noise of dropping bombs. Shouldn't be too difficult to include.

Have a nice evening

- spit

XyZspineZyX
12-14-2003, 11:38 PM
We already have a Hollywood gimmick in FB. Look at the muzzle flashes /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-15-2003, 06:23 PM
It is kinda funny when you see a MiG or F-16 diving in a hollywood movie and hear this siren.

For hollywood like features, go play CFS 3 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

And you activate the Ju-87 siren in the game by activating the dive-brek. You'll have to assign a key for it in the controls section because, it is not assigned by default. I've set the airbrake (and thus the siren) to the "/" key.

altough this overrides another keysetting.

When you press this button, the airbrake comes out. SO expect a very strong pirch-down moment and you notice the siren starting.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
12-15-2003, 06:37 PM
bnz is when u dive from above, shoot the target, then zoom back up

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-15-2003, 07:39 PM
STUrzKAmpf, ok, thanks http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif