PDA

View Full Version : what i hope they fix

gamer025
01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
the only thing i can think of them fixing is the curvature of the earth. we know in SH3 it isn't modeled, so let's hope for SH5 it is so we can use the proper northern route across the atlantic.

OberZurSee
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Well I've got some bad news for you, champ...

Kowalk
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM
take a look into the Q&A thread, there is not much hope for a correct map projection!

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Will the navigation map handle the earth as a cylinder like in SH3?</span>

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">Yes. Although not geographically correct, the cylindrical view is the easiest to understand and use of all cartographical projections, especially if we consider the possibility that the player could roam all the seas as he / she wishes. We investigated other projections as well, using a globe or specific maps of several locations (like they did in reality) but the drawbacks in terms of usability, freedom and understanding were too big to consider them further. Also, there is a number of technical problems associated to other geographical projections, which we chose not to tackle for now.</span>

gamer025
01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
you mean they can't make the navigation map flat as in SH3 but have the distances, etc. calculated for the curvature by the computer?

google earth does it and i'm not watching a live satellite when i'm on there.

Now I don't understand anything about programming and i imagine it's more difficult than i expect but at some point it has to be do-able the way computers are going.