PDA

View Full Version : a question about hurricane engine

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 02:51 PM
so far i experienced this kind of behaviour only on huricanes... when your plane takes some damage, the engine can be overspun to 5000 rpm or so, this would be ok if this happened only when diving (i dont know if this plane was equipped with a rpm limiter, if this was the case i would believe the control system had been knocked out by enemy fire hence the overspinning) but this can happen in level flight as well (!!!!)... why? does the engine get a power output boost when taking some damage? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif would anybody explain this to me please? thanks!

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 02:51 PM
so far i experienced this kind of behaviour only on huricanes... when your plane takes some damage, the engine can be overspun to 5000 rpm or so, this would be ok if this happened only when diving (i dont know if this plane was equipped with a rpm limiter, if this was the case i would believe the control system had been knocked out by enemy fire hence the overspinning) but this can happen in level flight as well (!!!!)... why? does the engine get a power output boost when taking some damage? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif would anybody explain this to me please? thanks!

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 02:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view.asp?board_id=139&id=zuhtl

I've had this problem recently... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stef51

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 04:22 PM
thanks mate i think the most satisfactory explanation to this is assuming your prop got badly damaged hence a lower load is put on your engine causing it to rev past the red zone... somebody stated this is more likely to happen when you fly across debris from damaged planes, makes perfect sense, can't figure out why this shouldnt happen with other planes though, perhaps that's because other planes have sturdier props... anyway, congrats to maddox for modelling even this aspect this is first-class stuff /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Indeed though I flew for at least 10 minutes at that speed... I think the engine should explode literally at that speed... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-17-2003, 05:53 PM
mmm weird if i take a steep dive the engine gets to 5000rpm and blows up in a few secs... anyway, thx for your reply have a nice day