PDA

View Full Version : PF for friends ... Help.

clayman_52
11-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Need your help guys,

I coaxed 4 friends into IL2 less than a year ago. Their all FS flyers from way back. Two bought PF over the weekend but haven't installed it after reading the forums.

I want to get this staright before I lead them down this path ...

If one wanted to you could install PF stand-alone ... test and tweak it while keeping AEP stable. Then uninstall PF and reinstall it as Add-on if they like. If PF on the other hand was a problem you could leave it Stand-alone and wait to see what happens when its patched ... and keep on flying AEP.

They have older systems that run AEP very stable, have older ATI cards, do not play online, and as I said their main fixation is MS Flightsim.

This should work right?

Thanks, clayman

clayman_52
11-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Need your help guys,

I coaxed 4 friends into IL2 less than a year ago. Their all FS flyers from way back. Two bought PF over the weekend but haven't installed it after reading the forums.

I want to get this staright before I lead them down this path ...

If one wanted to you could install PF stand-alone ... test and tweak it while keeping AEP stable. Then uninstall PF and reinstall it as Add-on if they like. If PF on the other hand was a problem you could leave it Stand-alone and wait to see what happens when its patched ... and keep on flying AEP.

They have older systems that run AEP very stable, have older ATI cards, do not play online, and as I said their main fixation is MS Flightsim.

This should work right?

Thanks, clayman

Troll2k
11-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Or you can do like most people.Make a copy of your fb/aep folder and install pf as an addon over the copy.Then you have both fb/aep(2.04) and fb/aep/pf (3.0)

scootertgm
11-01-2004, 03:06 PM
I reccomend to do it the opposite of Troll's method...

Copy the current install out to another directory. Then uninstall teh old and then do a fresh install of FB then AEP then PF. Then you have a clean stable install with siginificantly less risk of having a damaged or corrupted file.

clayman_52
11-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys ...

I've had it insatlled as an ad-on to AEP since I got it last Thurs nite. I'm just tryiing to get the boneheads to load it. Their dragging their feet and I said ... "Hey, just load the d*** thing as a stand alone. It won't hurt AEP!"

I wished I had thought of your idea before I loaded it to mine ... GREAT idea ... both version.

Well, at least they can do it ... dang, I'd liked to have had a version of my old 2.04 still. Heck ... can always load it again.

Hey, whoa ... BIG Question ... how do you get each to load. Does another Icon get created? How to access each guys?

Thanks again, clayman

Tully__
11-01-2004, 08:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clayman_52:

_Hey, whoa ... BIG Question ... how do you get each to load. Does another Icon get created? How to access each guys?_

Thanks again, clayman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Procedure:

Copy 2.04 folder to a new location.

Add on PF (with or without re-insall) over your original install. Your old desktop icon will launch that version. You may wish to rename that icon so you remember that it's 3.0

Create a new destop icon for the il2fb.exe in your copied 2.04 folder.

If you install a standalone PF it will have its own desktop icon with a different (PF specific) icon image.

For online, I'm not sure how Ubi.com works, but at Hyperlobby if you hold down Shift+Ctrl keys while connecting to the FB room you can point HL at whichever version you wish to launch, 2.04, 3.0 combined or 3.0 standalone.

clayman_52
11-01-2004, 08:43 PM
You the man Tully!

Thank you so much for the quick and very concise reply.

I'm going to copy AEP 2.04 from the DVD backup I burned last month back on my system ... and have the best of both worlds!

Best regards, clayman