PDA

View Full Version : Northern operations

paulhager
08-25-2005, 07:11 AM
The grid only covers the Atlantic - and not even all of that - yet the map that comes with the game shows Murmansk convoy routes. Is it possible to get with a Northern flotilla and go after the PQ convoys in 1941-1942? If so, how is this handled. Since there are no grid locations along the PQ routes where does BdU send units based in Norway?

Outside of the Med, the Barents Sea area seems the most likely place to find task forces and to have access to Axis air support.

lecek
08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
You can get there no problem. After you leave the grid you start reporting your position in standard lat and long.

The fact that the grid in the game ends before you get there can mean two things.

1) BDU will never assign you up there.

2) BDU might give you lat and long patrol box.

I suspect #1 is the answer.

I was thinking about taking a IXD2 and trying to get around the world. I don't think I can make it all the way, but I don't need to. All I have to do is pass 180 going one way then reload a just-out-of-base save and go farther then 180 the other.

HeibgesU999
08-25-2005, 06:43 PM
If you join the Bergen flotilla, you will be given Patrol Grids near Murmansk. They may even be off the Grid.

paulhager
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
If you join the Bergen flotilla, you will be given Patrol Grids near Murmansk. They may even be off the Grid.

Are Trondheim and Narvik flotillas available? I think I tried Bergen fairly early on a previous career and was given a mission to the AM area. I was killed in heavy fog at x1024. Never knew what hit me. I think I had a couple of missions before my demise but they were all somewhere in AM. I would have expected at least some to be along the Murmansk route.

Anyway, I think I'll give a Northern port a shot for 1941 and see how things go. If the developer/modelers are accurate, there should be some task forces supporting the convoys - in particular British CV's, BB's, and CA's.

Is the Tirpitz in the game?