PDA

View Full Version : New faction - Mercenaries?

Sweaty_Sock
04-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Can we get mercenaries if there is a new faction - sell swords of all the cultures that arn't getting a faction of their very own?

EDIT:
Something like the disaster in this game/world would make mercenaries commonplace... your farm turns to lava, how can you survive? Turn your farm tool into a bill hook and sell your services

Your family not starving in a dystopian medieval setting is motive for me

Just think of the influx of cultures following this world meltdown

A non-aligned faction allows alot of variety while still leaving the 3 big ones slugging it out

EDIT:EDIT READ THE CONVERSATION IF YOU HATE THE WU PLZ GO START YOUR OWN THREAD

FourSalmon723
04-08-2019, 10:02 AM
That actually sounds pretty cool but what would some hero's actually be for that

Sweaty_Sock
04-08-2019, 10:12 AM
That actually sounds pretty cool but what would some hero's actually be for that

Saracen, aztec, janissary, zulu, maori, apache .... imagine anything!

EDIT: even a pirate!

The_B0G_
04-08-2019, 02:12 PM
It would be a good way to cherry pick the most interesting hero's from each country/culture.

Kievanson
04-08-2019, 03:20 PM
This is not Mortal Combat!
The concept of For Honor is simple - Knight vs. Vikings vs. Samurai. That's all. No Aztecs, Indians, Pirates, Chinese, only the existing three factions. Stop destroying the atmosphere of the game.

Minegriffo
04-08-2019, 03:37 PM
It's alredy quite annoying seeing the chinese character and the Shinobi as a samurai. I'm expecting next character with the shotgun...

The_B0G_
04-08-2019, 03:46 PM
The concept of For Honor is simple - Knight vs. Vikings vs. Samurai. That's all. No Aztecs, Indians, Pirates, Chinese, only the existing three factions. Stop destroying the atmosphere of the game.

It already has an extra faction than the original 3. Sooo... kind of too late for that argument.

Illyrian_King
04-08-2019, 04:50 PM
It already has an extra faction than the original 3. Sooo... kind of too late for that argument.

A thing that is bad doesn't need to become worse ...

I am really against having pirates or aztecs with wooden clubs fighting against knights in full plate in a medieval fort. Even the romans break immersion way too much for my taste.

If people ask me, then please no.

The_B0G_
04-08-2019, 05:59 PM
A thing that is bad doesn't need to become worse ...

I am really against having pirates or aztecs with wooden clubs fighting against knights in full plate in a medieval fort. Even the romans break immersion way too much for my taste.

If people ask me, then please no.

I'm not a fan of the pirate idea either, Shugoki has a wooden club already though, shinobi's weapon is a modified farming tool, the Centurions gladius is only an effective weapon while used with a shield and in formation, so I'm not too tied to the realism of many weapons in this game.

Not much in the game for immersion any more, effects, masks, teleportation, we're a long way from realism.

I think a mercenary faction would be a great idea if they ever added another faction, but I highly doubt they will. The more heroes they release, the more work they have cut out for themselves.

Illyrian_King
04-08-2019, 06:29 PM
I'm not a fan of the pirate idea either, Shugoki has a wooden club already though, shinobi's weapon is a modified farming tool, the Centurions gladius is only an effective weapon while used with a shield and in formation, so I'm not too tied to the realism of many weapons in this game.

Not much in the game for immersion any more, effects, masks, teleportation, we're a long way from realism.

I think a mercenary faction would be a great idea if they ever added another faction, but I highly doubt they will. The more heroes they release, the more work they have cut out for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I would even go further and replace Gladiator, Shaman, Cent, Raider, etc. with more realistic models. Realistic aka more armour, better weapons (spear instead of trident) and a shield in Cent's case. All these "Heroes" would most likely not survive a battle against Wardens, Lawbringers, BPs, Kenseis and other actually "functional" warriors. Btw shugoki's club is very massive and has metall spikes even on the basic modell.

Did I tell you that I also hate all these special effects? I have been crying for more ways of turning unwanted effects off then anybody else in this forum.

I think at this point, more Heroes won't solve any problems ... now we need more actual content. More possibilities to interact with the maps, Controlling minions per QuickChat, Perks that allow us to call AI reinforcement, Modifying the map as defenders with barricades, traps, archer towers or other stuff. Same for attackers. Let players unlock it with XP, steel or a new ressource in a fair pace, so we finally have something to grind for again. Right now you just play for fun, but there is nothing that literally drives me to play.
It would make things so much less stale.

UbiInsulin
04-08-2019, 07:10 PM
It's an interesting idea in terms of allowing the team to create whatever hero they like. It might lose some of the strong identity that the conventional factions have, though (just imho).

But there is a Chinese faction that's already very much present in the game. :confused: Or did you mean that you're not a fan of the Wu Lin as a concept?

Sweaty_Sock
04-09-2019, 05:01 AM
We already have a forth faction. We already have a small angry lady biting through the metal plate of a lawbringer with her teeth. We already have two romans in the knight faction & a celt in the viking faction. Almost every game goes something like 2x samuari heros, a viking and a wu lin in the knight faction vsing 2 wardens, a Shugo and a Wu Lin in the viking faction... what atmosphere are people saying will be lost exactly?

RE: the pirate, have a look through history, you don't need to add blackbeard - look at Barbary pirates, or even Pompey's son Pompey's role in the fall of the roman republic

This game is not ultra realistic, we already have characters being stretched into factions just because 'its the closest fit'. Why not just have them as free agents and then at least it makes sense to see a highlander fighting for the samurai faction...

Edit if you are concerned with loosing the overall 3 faction visuals - give the mercenaries armour/gear options that resemble the various factions to give a 'working for x faction' vibe to them

Jazz117Volkov
04-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Just as an observation, I think mercenaries would dilute the factions (even further). The faction appeal is not only their aesthetic, but also their values. A mercenary's only notable value is money, which is for the most part counter to the values of the factions. The Knights, Vikings, and Samurai are all fighting for something larger than themselves--except maybe the Vikings, but even then there's a strong "homeland" vibe among them. The interpretative representations of these factions that we see in the game, at least in season 1, were what made For Honor compelling as a fiction.

The disregard and ignorance of these qualities by the devs, with almost all post-launch content, has been half of what's soured the community. I think it's in part because of the way content creation in the game is approached. As effective as it might be to look at a weapon first, for example, and design a character from that, it doesn't yield content that contributes to the appeal of the fiction. This issue has actually been noticed by the devs, which is why new characters now have names, because without that narrative anchor to create from, you end up content that feels alien in its own game.

SangLong524
04-09-2019, 08:34 AM
I think the wulin was a bad move. They introduced a new faction with no effect on the faction war. They have no place in the big picture. It ruins the storyline. And they didnt even give a story to back it up. Just that these nobody chineses putting their noses in where they dont belong.
But what’s done is done. What they should not do anymore is introducing new faction without an reason. Just keep adding more into the 3 factions and Sore Thumb is great

Sweaty_Sock
04-09-2019, 08:57 AM
I think the wulin was a bad move. They introduced a new faction with no effect on the faction war. They have no place in the big picture. It ruins the storyline. And they didnt even give a story to back it up. Just that these nobody chineses putting their noses in where they dont belong.
But what’s done is done. What they should not do anymore is introducing new faction without an reason. Just keep adding more into the 3 factions and Sore Thumb is great

But a mercenary faction would essentially be able to play anyside while still keeping the overall feel of the faction war - they are essentially fighting for knights, vikings or samurai

I mean look at real world examples like the mercenaries Hannibal led across the alps to invade Rome, the pope's guards for hundreds of years (Swiss guard) or even some sweet looking byzantine/viking mercenaries that formed the elite guard of the emperors - the Varangian Guard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

bannex19
04-09-2019, 09:07 AM
The wulin was a stupid experiment, they really look and feel out of place in this game. It's almost as if they were created by a different team......?

Sweaty_Sock
04-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Well kind of my point is to make a non-aligned faction... i.e. preserve the conflict and feel while also adding flavor

EDIT: mercenaries in the era of a game like this are not the same as today, they can be something as simple as soldiers recruited from a minor state. To be honest something like the disaster in this game/world would make mercenaries commonplace... your farm turns to lava, how can you survive? Turn your farm tool to a bill hook and sell your services

SangLong524
04-09-2019, 10:18 AM
But a mercenary faction would essentially be able to play anyside while still keeping the overall feel of the faction war - they are essentially fighting for knights, vikings or samurai

I mean look at real world examples like the mercenaries Hannibal led across the alps to invade Rome, the pope's guards for hundreds of years (Swiss guard) or even some sweet looking byzantine/viking mercenaries that formed the elite guard of the emperors - the Varangian Guard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

I understand. Still, i think ubi shoots themselves in the foot by creating 3 factions in first place. If u looks closely, it resembles the 3 kingdoms era, you know wu, shu and wei. Adding another faction will disrupt the delicate balance, and break the game. They could add another faction, as long as they give a believeable story behind it, which they failed with the wulin. It is far easier to add new hero already allied with a faction.
Mercernaries have no other story behind them, no instrisic motivation, and we have a faction for that: just treat those chinese as your sellswords. It doesnt look like its working

Sweaty_Sock
04-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Like I said - "To be honest something like the disaster in this game/world would make mercenaries commonplace... your farm turns to lava, how can you survive? Turn your farm tool to a bill hook and sell your services"

Your family not starving in a dystopian medieval setting is motive for me

Just think of the influx of cultures following this world meltdown

Minegriffo
04-09-2019, 10:32 AM
What I really liked about the concept of the game, it's the IDEA of fighting with swords and this kind of weapon with a fantastic combat system in place...

After they added the Shinobi and they screwed up everything... What's the point of adding a hero that fight from distance in a game based on sword ?

P.S Wu lin it's just a marketing attempt in order to penetrate the chinese market.

Sweaty_Sock
04-09-2019, 10:53 AM
What I really liked about the concept of the game, it's the IDEA of fighting with swords and this kind of weapon with a fantastic combat system in place...

After they added the Shinobi and they screwed up everything... What's the point of adding a hero that fight from distance in a game based on sword ?

P.S Wu lin it's just a marketing attempt in order to penetrate the chinese market.

Whats this have to do with the thread? Plz keep in on topic, READ whats above and contribute or make your own

Kievanson
04-09-2019, 11:00 AM
But there is a Chinese faction that's already very much present in the game. :confused: Or did you mean that you're not a fan of the Wu Lin as a concept?

Yes, there should be only three factions. Change rather than to expand the concept of the game over time, it is a big mistake, which is not good for the game atmosphere. That's my opinion.

Sweaty_Sock
04-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Yes, there should be only three factions. Change rather than to expand the concept of the game over time, it is a big mistake, which is not good for the game atmosphere. That's my opinion.

I have amended the inital post. Please KEEP on point. Make your own thread if you're here to salt-jack this one

Minegriffo
04-09-2019, 12:45 PM
The point for is that LESS is MORE.

I don't care about different characters as long the one we have are good. I think having many heroes unbalance the game