PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Saw my first real life F-22 Raptor today

mortoma
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
They now have them at the Air Force base I live close to. They were doing patterns and probably touch and goes because they kept flying over. Until now all I had seen were F-16s and 15s and the usual transports/refuelers.

mortoma
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
They now have them at the Air Force base I live close to. They were doing patterns and probably touch and goes because they kept flying over. Until now all I had seen were F-16s and 15s and the usual transports/refuelers.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I have yet to see a F-22 in person. Back when I was in the USAF I was stationed at Eilson, Alaska. This was in the early 90s and I got to see a lot of new aircraft because they would bring them there for cold weather testing. I got to see the F-117A, B-2 Spirit, and the C-17 Globemaster when they were all new. And before most people got a chance to see them. Seeing how Im just a civi now I guess Im going to have to go see a modern airshow or something. Although I live in PA and I think they have some 22s down in VA, so maybe I will see one overhead soon. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

Monty_Thrud
08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
How long have you been a Teddy Bear Havok?...and mortoma has been here for years and hasn't got any text under his wotsit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif...Mods aint wot teh used 2 b.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-08-2007, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
How long have you been a Teddy Bear Havok?...and mortoma has been here for years and hasn't got any text under his wotsit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif...Mods aint wot teh used 2 b. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since birth? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

berg417448
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I live in an area where they do some test flights for the newly built F-22s before the USAF accepts them. Every so often I'll see a couple of contrails flying close together overhead and one will be an F-22 and the other will be the F-16. In fact, the pair just flew overhead a few minutes ago.

Up until about a year or so ago they used to do occasional supersonic test flights overhead. Enough people complained over the years about the booms that they moved the supersonic flights to a less populated area.

WhtBoy
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by berg417448:
Enough people complained over the years about the booms that they moved the supersonic flights to a less populated area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate those complainers so much!!!

--Outlaw.

mortoma
08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
How long have you been a Teddy Bear Havok?...and mortoma has been here for years and hasn't got any text under his wotsit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif...Mods aint wot teh used 2 b. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ummmmm......What???? Are you implying that only serious posters in forums have to have all the bells and whistles?? All the sigs and avatars and what have you?? That kind of thinking is from men of little minds I'm afraid!!

Don't you think I could have taken a few minutes years ago and written something under my name??
And had all the fancy smancy stuff?? The reason I never did is because I'm not into the all the elistist stuff and who has all the nice avatars and nonsense such as that. It's not all the fluff that counts, it's what you post that counts. I have not in the past nor will I in the future ever care about all the fluff and the ego/pride aspect of specialized forum life. I don't care to add all the junk. I just want to post stuff. Who cares about sigs?? I'm not that insecure that I have to give the slightest thought to that junk.

mortoma
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Besides, what do mods have to do with it?? Are you implying that it's required to have a sig or any such nonsense?? As if the mods should ban me because I don't have all the fluff junk?? Sorry, but there is no requirement to have anything but a
user name. And that's all I have cuz that's all you need and all I care about.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-08-2007, 01:14 PM
LOL! I think you took that one way to serious Mort. I do believe he was just kidding around.

S!

mortoma
08-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Ok, as long as it was not serious.

PF_Coastie
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Only a Mod can add the white text under a name. All the other stuff is controlled by user.

Some mods find it funny to add a quip under someones name. That is all he was referring to.

Jaws2002
08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I thik mods should give him one anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Something like "Who cares about all the fluff".
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Enforcer572005
08-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I live 60 miles from the blasted Lockheed plant, and I still haven't seen one. You need to get a good camera with at least a 300mm zoom lens so you can show us this. We won't believe you until you do....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Dash_8
08-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I saw two Raptors in person for the first time back in May of this year. I was flying a flight from Norfolk (KORF) to Philly (KPHL) when about 10 minutes after takeoff, I see a "strange" looking airplane at my 3 o'clock low. It was about 2 miles away and I was staring at it trying to figure out what it was. Just then the Norfolk departure controller said, "Piedmont 4239, traffic 3 o'clock, flight of two F-22 Raptors, climbing rapidly" As the controller said this I noticed the wingman about 1/4 mile behind and below the lead I had originally spotted. I call traffic in sight to the controller and watch them leave me in my Dash 8 in their dust.

It was really cool to see them inflight passing me. Something I won't soon forget.

BrewsterPilot
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm tired of my avatar text, but I'm not asking the mods to change it, fearing to get something FAR worse... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BrewsterPilot
08-08-2007, 08:30 PM
MWAHHAAHHAAA!
I OUTSMARTED THE MODS AND THE FORUM SOFTWARE!

Now if only someone would remove that annoying old text... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

mortoma
08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dash_8:
I saw two Raptors in person for the first time back in May of this year. I was flying a flight from Norfolk (KORF) to Philly (KPHL) when about 10 minutes after takeoff, I see a "strange" looking airplane at my 3 o'clock low. It was about 2 miles away and I was staring at it trying to figure out what it was. Just then the Norfolk departure controller said, "Piedmont 4239, traffic 3 o'clock, flight of two F-22 Raptors, climbing rapidly" As the controller said this I noticed the wingman about 1/4 mile behind and below the lead I had originally spotted. I call traffic in sight to the controller and watch them leave me in my Dash 8 in their dust.

It was really cool to see them inflight passing me. Something I won't soon forget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Who the heck still flies Dashes?? The only prop airliners I see out here in the west are Embraers. No more Dashes or even ATRs. No Beech 1900s either.

p-11.cAce
08-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Who operates Dash-8's you ask?

Series 100

As of August 2006, a total of 227 Dash 8 Series 100 aircraft remain in airline service, with 1 further firm order. Major operators include: Air Canada Jazz (42), Air Creebec (5), Air Inuit (8), Air Labrador (3), Arctic Sunwest (2), AIRES (4), Hawkair (3), Era Aviation (4), Freedom Airlines (12), Island Air (9), Leeward Islands Air Transport (5), Olympic Airlines (4), Perimeter Aviation (3), Piedmont Airlines (46), Provincial Airlines, Regional One (4), Widerøe (17), Airlines PNG (7), QantasLink (9), GMG Airlines (1). RyÅ«kyÅ« Air Commuter, National Jet Systems (1), Cirrus Airlines (4), Royal Bengal Airlines (2), United Airlines (1). Some 22 other airlines operate smaller numbers of Dash 8 Series 100.[2]

Series 200

In August 2006 a total of 72 Dash 8 Series 200 aircraft remain in airline service, with 2 further firm orders. Major operators include: Air Niugini (4), QantasLink (3), Surveillance Australia, Horizon Air (23), Mesa Airlines (28) South African Express (7), and CommutAir as Continental Connection (4). Some 14 other airlines operate smaller numbers of Dash 8 Series 200.[2]

Series 300

In August 2006 , a total of 214 Dash 8 Series 300 aircraft remain in airline service, with 13 further firm orders. Major operators include: Bahamasair (8) (Launch Customer), Air Canada Jazz (25), AIRES (4), Air Nostrum (9), Air Philippines (3), Air Southwest (5), Air Nippon Network (5), Augsburg Airways (6), Surveillance Australia (2), Austrian Arrows (12), Cirrus Airlines (4), Caribbean Star Airlines (9), Denim Air (11), Flybe (6), InterSky (6), Leeward Islands Air Transport (9), Piedmont Airlines (11), QantasLink (8), Sunstate Airlines (8), Uni Air (10), Aero Contractors (5), Voyageur Airways (5), South African Express (7), Petroleum Air Services (4), Air Nelson (13) Tobago Express (5) and Widerøe (9), GMG Airlines (1), Philippine Airlines (2), Air Philippines (1). Some 11 other airlines operate smaller numbers of Dash 8 Series 300.[2] Flybaboo (2)

Series 400

As of April 2007 a total of 140 Q400 aircraft are in airline service, with 215 firm orders. Major operators include: Air Chathams (4), Air Freight NZ (5), Air Nippon Network (9), Air Tahoma (6), Augsburg Airways (5), Austrian Arrows (10), Croatia Airlines (4 on order), Flybe (29), Horizon Air (33), Japan Air Commuter (8), Kelowna Flightcraft (7), Nolinor Aviation (7), Porter Airlines (4), Scandinavian Airlines System (24), Sunstate Airlines (5), QantasLink (7), Jeju Air (5), Tassili Airlines (in order 8), Widerøe (4), Luxair (3), and Colgan Air (15). Some 17 other airlines operate smaller numbers of Dash 8 Series 400.[2]

Air Panama is supposed to start flying two Dash 8s in January 2007.

Other

In February 2006, Porter Airlines announced that they had purchased ten 70-seater turboprops to service the Toronto Island Airport.

In September 2006, Frontier Airlines announced an order for ten Q400s, taking delivery of the first plane in May 2007. Frontier expects the total fleet to be in service by December 2007. Additionally, Frontier holds purchase options for 10 additional aircraft.

In February 2007, Pinnacle Airlines Corporation announced an order for 15 Q400s on behalf of its recently acquired subsidiary, Colgan Air. The aircraft will be operated in a "codeshare" agreement with Continental Airlines, under the Continental Connection banner out of their Newark, New Jersey hub.

In June 2007, Croatia Airlines announced an order for three Q400s to replace ATR-42s.

Coast guard and military operators
CT142 Dash 8 "Gonzo" from no. 402 Canadian Forces Squadron, Winnipeg, Manitoba
CT142 Dash 8 "Gonzo" from no. 402 Canadian Forces Squadron, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Flag of Aruba Aruba

* Coast Guard of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba

Flag of Australia Australia

* Australian Customs Coas****ch - Surveillance Australia

Flag of Canada Canada

* Canadian Forces

Flag of Kenya Kenya

* Kenya Air Force

Flag of Mexico Mexico

* Mexican Navy

Flag of Netherlands Antilles Netherlands Antilles

* Coast Guard of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba

Flag of Sweden Sweden

* The Swedish Coast Guard will operate three Dash-8 300 maritime surveillance versions. [1]

Flag of the United States United States

* United States Air Force
* United States Department Of Homeland Security-Customs and Border Protection (CBP Air)