PDA

View Full Version : Play Hard

Baggin_
04-06-2019, 09:18 AM
Pretty good documentary.

Just in case if Jason secretly reads the ubi forums then I just want to tell him that he made the game I never knew I wanted to play.

Thanks man.

Knight_Raime
04-06-2019, 10:20 AM
It was an interesting watch. My impressions was that he got treated terribly and they stole his dream from him. Or at least that was the sort of attitude I felt was passed around whenever anyone would touch on the "forbidden fruit" that was the footage of the game that was a pitch and not meant to be a representation of the final product. It wasn't meant for public eyes but it got out there. And anytime someone would harken back to that I felt met with this kind of negative idea.

The film paints a different picture. Jason thrives in conflict. He wasn't likely going to ever be finished with the product. Typical design trips happen and things have to get cut even though no one wants to make those choices. They had to be made. Jason seemed to underestimate what directing a game was going to be like. It seemed rather overwhelming to him. And he even notes in the film that it got so big that he didn't have the time to smooth things over with people. Like when it was just a small group of people working on a passion project.

Of course he sounds a bit bitter. It was his dream. And it grew away from him. But he did willingly give most of the direction of the game to his crew when it got big. And focused on one aspect of it instead. His very passion and drive that grew the game couldn't contain him anymore. And that's how the eventual pushing aside went. No one there hated him or didn't like his ideas. It just didn't fit where they were at anymore.

But all in all it seems like he was proud of what he managed to accomplish. And that he did enjoy the game in the end. Even if it wasn't 100% what he envisioned. I too thank him for the game. We may bag on the developers for many things. We may have different ideas of what we think is best for the game. But in the end we all like the "art of battle" system unique to this game. We all like and crave the feeling that this game gives that no other fighter can bring us. And we have both Jason and the FH crew to thank for getting this dream out to us. And I think it's important to acknowledge and understand that.

The_B0G_
04-06-2019, 10:54 AM
The only game I've ever played this long in my life was the first Halo, and I don't even really like fighter games. I'm not always happy with the decisions the devs made for this game (400ms lights mostly) but I still do love this game, and can't stop playing it.

MrGrippz
04-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Just watched it today.

For me it combined two things I love, documentary movies & video games. With it being on one of my favorite games ever I was stoked to check it out. Very interesting to see the functioning corporate mechanics of releasing a large scale product. Very dope.

Hope the 3 new heavies coming are awesome, hope the rest of our OG season 1 characters get updated kits, and hope they think about adding more awesome chars going forward! Maybe even a new faction.... 🤤🤤🤤🤤