PDA

View Full Version : Why is dodging still harder than blocking...

PepsiBeastin
04-04-2019, 12:44 AM
For the love of god, just let me dodge in a combo after getting hit once. If I'm hit once I'm allowed to block/parry the followup 400/500ms lights, so let me f***ing dodge and deflect it. Is it because dodges don't get queued like blocks do? Do I have to perfectly click the button in the 50ms window between the hitstun and the next attack? The state that deflects/reflex guard in general is in is pathetic for a game that's been out for over 2 years.

Klingentaenz3r
04-04-2019, 12:28 PM
I think that has something to do with the stagger abilities of the blow. There are light, medium and heavy stagger reactions. That is all we know at this point of time and that it affects whether or not you can dodge afterwards or parry things. Aramusha's infinite light chain had medium stagger properties (as stated in the patch notes back then) and it was changed with marching fire to light causing you to react more reliably on the receiving side and defend with more success (on top of the added 100 ms between direction swaps of musha's light chain). Side heavy opener was changed from heavy to medium reaction to not guarantee the top light follow up anymore.

If i am not mistaken conq's light chain is also an example for medium stagger properties. But again we don't really know much about this mechanic AFAIK. It also quite a bit too when I was playing with orochi. Would be nice to have that more clearly displayed and "explained" in the game somewhere.

hmm actually that gives me a idea for a good question for the warrior's den Q&A. gonna add that to my questions for today, thx Pepsi!

but btw from a conceptional point of view I think I get why it is like that. Dodging and especially dodge attacks would disrupt offence easily while blocks at least in OOS for lights and otherwise for combos with heavies offence can be sustained.

Zombie.Face
04-05-2019, 02:28 AM
yea i agree, deflects are not worth the risk now. at least in my eyes.

Bloodwake1980
04-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Uhh even when you dodge the first attack it's to much of a risk. It seems like if you dodge your giving them a free opening recently. Warlord and shaman seem to just take a single step one way or another. While other characters just magically float out of danger.

PepsiBeastin
04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
In a similar way that parrying skips guard switch delay, I think deflecting should ignore dodge start time. I don't want people to be able to dodge attack out of combos, if you try and dodge and fail a deflect I feel eating the attack is a fair trade off.