PDA

View Full Version : Switching between flight models, and some random musing

Izzy5
06-13-2005, 06:11 AM
A couple of days ago I'm sure I saw a thread that mentioned a line that you could put in your config.ini file that allows you to switch between the 3.04 or the 4.00 FM.

Did anyone else see this or am I dreaming? I can't find the post anywhere, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on one of the ubi.com forums. If I'm not dreaming and it wasn't posted as a joke can someone please remind me of the line in question? Ta much in advance.

On a related note, so far I'm loving the new FM. I finally understand the point of a locking tail wheel and rudder trim in this game. I'm not a RL pilot but I do read around the subject a fair deal and the new FM does seem a lot more like the reality described in books by WWII pilots than it did previously.

As a related aside and an appeal for a little comman sense in the inescapable this, that, the other is broken - I've been robbed by 1C threads. While I am far from an expert in vintage fighter flight dynamics or flight model coding I would not be supprised to find that the characteristics of some planes are more/less accurate than others, and certain basic principles have had to be simplified or ommitted to allow the whole to function on your home machine without you having to go out and spend $x,xxx,xxx on a military grade flight sim rig.

This does not indicate a personal vendetta against you by the development team. And you haven't paid for any of this extra stuff, so you deffinatly haven't been robbed.

At the end of the day, IL2 in its various itterations is a game on a home computer system. It is not a completely accurate and realistic in every detail recreation of RL flight, and it just isn't going to be - ever - with the hardware available to %99.99 of home users. On the other hand it does seem to be trying to do the best it can despite the occasional hick-up. In my opinion, as a complete package (graphics quality, reliability, depth of simulation, free extra stuff that we get for free without ever being asked to pay for it, etc), its the best of its type available today and we are getting a very good deal out of it.

The gist of my rant (kinda snuck up on me, that one, sorry) is please stop the incesant, pointless, badley researched whining about stuff. It just makes it harder to find the interesting threads on this board. please note, I am including intelligent, grown-up, discussion of topics (often entertaining one or more well reasoned yet differing points of view) in the Intelligent bracket.

Take a deep breath, count to 10, have a bit of perspective and go and play this very good game for what it is. Occasionally reflect on things and be thankfull when you get some new free stuff - however long it has taken, it's given away free and therefore has to take second place to the stuff that pays the bills. Before going off the deep end about something, make sure you haven't just miss-understood whats happening or failed to set your joystick up correctly. Don't freak out about bugs. Nobody ever gets them all during testing, chances are they will appear some time - Keep calm, report them, move on.

Thank you for reading this far. I do realise this is just my own opinion and will do next to nothing to make this forum a more calm enviroment. I shall just have to practise quiet amusment when the next flame war kicks off.

Yet more thanks to anyone who can still remember the original question at the top of this post and provide me with an answer.

Best Regards - Izzy

mortoma
06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
I also would like to know if there is a command you can put in conf.ini file to switch between old and new FMs!!! This could be handy for some.

tascaso
06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Well you have way to much common sense and your post way to sensical! In other words correct but boring.

As to the config.ini thing not doable think what would happen in online play!

123_Tony_VEF123

EnGaurde
06-13-2005, 12:20 PM
incesant, pointless, badley researched whining about stuff.

i think you pretty much captured it.

people are ingrates, frankly.

And theyll hit you with such blatant thankless greed and the kind of screaming demands reminisant of a small child that it beggars belief. It seriously remionds me of a few chips thrown into a pack of seagulls.... some people dont think twice about behaving in such a manner. Its such a beautiful comparison. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

the endless complainers? if you show the slightest appreciation for the title and are prepared to enjoy whats on offer instead of screaming for more free content you are instantly labelled a "fanboi".

Apparently, you are simply not allowed to like the sim despite its shortcomings, you must rubbish it at every turn for the most trivial reasons and be prepared to make it clear how much of a favour you are doing 1c:maddox for even thinking of buying it.

that, in itself, is such childish **** it has me shaking my head every time i see it.

i tend to lose interest in forums quickly due to the overwhelming number of petty, squabbling, vindictive overreacting freaks flooding the place with spite, but im sticking with this one as there are just enough valid posts to clear out the rest of the muck.

FoolTrottel
06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Izzy,

There is no way in 'switching' from 3.04 to 4.00 via Conf.ini
(And @Mortoma: There is no way in 'switching' from old FM to new FM via Conf.ini)

There's one nice solution:
Before you install 4.00, create a copy of Il2 Forgottten Battles, and name it 'Forgotten Battles 4.0'. Install the patch on that folder.

By creating a shortcut to the new folder's Il2.exe file, you can 'switch', well at least use both versions alternately.

But, too bad, there's that Before condition ....

Oh, and as for an answer on yer original question, you were dreaming.

And for the rest of yer post (although I do see and understand yer good intensions here!) you are still dreaming! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Have Fun! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif (I Do!)