PDA

View Full Version : [AC3 R] Character Models and Cutscene Lightning

Dareeah
03-28-2019, 11:01 PM
I really love you guys and I appreciate your hard work on this remaster but I have to be honest I am not the happiest about the character models and the lightning in cutscenes only. Is there a possibility of fixing this in the future? You would make me and many other people really happy, if you have time of course. Thanks.

Seaclean
03-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Don't be so polite about it. It looks absolutely horrible compared to the original. It's downright laughable watching the cutscenes now with the lackluster facial animation and lighting. My wife and I couldn't stop laughing at some of the comparisons. Then we felt sad afterwards that there are actually people contempt with this kind of scam.

Also, just to remind you, Gearbox recently announced a FREE remastering of Borderlands 2 + Pre-Sequel with the following implementations:

On PC, the Ultra HD Texture Pack includes:

Remastered 4K environment textures, including geometry and skyboxes
Remastered 4K characters and vehicles
Remastered 4K weapon meshes and textures
Improved Anti-Aliasing, including improved edge line implementation
This includes improved ink line definition and framing/outline around character models

Higher Resolution Dynamic Shadows
Improved quality and smoothness of shadows, especially during movement

Improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
An improved SSAO method for more realistic ambient lighting

Again -FOR FREE-

Take note here, Ubisoft. Not only do you charge €40 for this supposed "remaster" but you actually end up making a worse product in some very important aspects, such as character/facial representation. Beyond disgraceful.

cs2maor
03-29-2019, 02:57 PM
YES. while improvments and tweaks to gamplay are appriciated
this is just sad. how can faces and lighting from 2012 look so much better then the reamstered version it's down right laughable
some people are giving it a free pass becouse its free with odessy's season pass
but this is a paid product. no gets it for free its not a gift
how did ubisoft let this look so ugly i have no idea

Gravelmead
03-29-2019, 04:52 PM
Agreed. Cut scenes are horrible. Everyone looks deformed and ugly.

Ubi-Zubi
03-29-2019, 07:40 PM
Hey guys! Would you be able to provide some screenshots and the platform you're playing on?

DerHowl
03-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Literally almost every cutscene has bad lighting of character models, especially on faces, they just look "plasticy" compared to the original.

DreadGrrl
03-29-2019, 08:30 PM
I've just dabbled a bit with this. Haytham is on the boat heading to N.A., so I'm only a few minutes in.

Xbox One X, lower end 4k 58" HDR RCA TV.

Everyone's eyes look glassy and like they've got tears welling up in them constantly.

Under white light (~5000k or thereabouts) Desmond looks like a vampire. The eyes are awful, the contours of the face are dreadful. He seriously looks like he belongs in a horror game.

Under warm light (<3500k) he looks really good . . . minus his eyes. They still look awful, but not quite as awful.

Under white light, Haytham looks like he's anemic. Not as bad as Desmond . . . but he's pretty sickly looking.

Under warm light, Haytham looks terrific. But, his eyes look weird and glassy no matter what light he's under.

Someone made a big boo boo when the lighting was changed. It looks like the character models (minus the dreadful eyes) were tweaked to look good with warmer lighting, while they were completely neglected with the cooler/white light. They may even be using the same character models under both lighting conditions, with the model being optimized for the warmer light.

While I haven't spent much time in the game, a lot of stuff looks really, really, terrific on the Xbox One X @ 4K.

But, being hit with vampire Desmond immediately upon starting the game was a bit of a shocker. It is a seriously lousy introduction to the game.

I'll see if I can get some video.

Darth_Karki
03-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Thank you so much for responding to this. AC3 is one of my favorite games and I have been highly anticipating this release, only to be quite disappointed that the visuals are decidedly worse in a lot of situations, particularly cutscenes. I'm very hopeful that Ubisoft will put in the work to improve this to truly make it the definitive version.

As far as screenshots and comparisons, I posted a few here on Resetera. If you would like me to repost here or send them to you elsewhere, please let me know:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/assassins-creed-iii-remastered-ot-watering-the-tree-of-liberty-in-4k.107983/page-3#post-19310164

It's really noticeable just about every cutscene with a simple comparison. With the original release I'm sure there was a singular vision for aesthetics that every department was working towards together. With the remaster, it looks like the lighting system was changed without consideration for how that affected everything dependent on it. Cloth now looks like plastic, alpha transparency on hair textures are not properly blended and the hair shaders seem completely absent, the heavy ambient occlusion that grounded every scene and unified the look of the game has been removed, and much more. I really appreciate the improvements that were made to gameplay, but I would have much preferred if the lighting system was left the way it was if the plan wasn't to go through and fully update all assets to work with physically based rendering.

DerHowl
03-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Thank you so much for responding to this. AC3 is one of my favorite games and I have been highly anticipating this release, only to be quite disappointed that the visuals are decidedly worse in a lot of situations, particularly cutscenes. I'm very hopeful that Ubisoft will put in the work to improve this to truly make it the definitive version.

As far as screenshots and comparisons, I posted a few here on Resetera. If you would like me to repost here or send them to you elsewhere, please let me know:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/assassins-creed-iii-remastered-ot-watering-the-tree-of-liberty-in-4k.107983/page-3#post-19310164

It's really noticeable just about every cutscene with a simple comparison. With the original release I'm sure there was a singular vision for aesthetics that every department was working towards together. With the remaster, it looks like the lighting system was changed without consideration for how that affected everything dependent on it. Cloth now looks like plastic, alpha transparency on hair textures are not properly blended and the hair shaders seem completely absent, the heavy ambient occlusion that grounded every scene and unified the look of the game has been removed, and much more. I really appreciate the improvements that were made to gameplay, but I would have much preferred if the lighting system was left the way it was if the plan wasn't to go through and fully update all assets to work with physically based rendering.
I mean the lighting system is pretty good outside of the cutscenes IMO, if they wouldn't have changed it then the remastered would just be an updated version of the game, not a full remaster. The only problem for me is the lighting and the character models in the cutscenes, that's all.

DreadGrrl
03-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Vampire Desmond . . .

Xbox One X - 4K HDR RCA TV

https://youtu.be/1gp7WUmKcxg

BennyIegend
03-30-2019, 02:41 AM
http://old.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/b6z1e0/ac3_skin_and_eyes_need_to_be_fixed_if_we_dont/

Here's an example: http://imgur.com/a/YqfgVkd (Look at Connor's eyes on the right side and tell me you aren't freaked out)

This is huge downgrade from the original version. Sure the game looks pretty but the characters appear like they have lost their soul.

Feclez
03-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Lots of the scenes actually look like someone from UBISOFT has been to madame Tussauds and pilfered them of the waxworks and added them into the game

not totally sure if im playing AC3 or watching a version of DR WHO where the dummies have come to life

SixKeys
03-30-2019, 10:12 AM
There's a simple reason for this: the original AC3 used different models for cut scenes vs. gameplay. The cut scene models were obviously better and more detailed. The remaster uses gameplay models for everything.

Matima
03-30-2019, 11:33 AM
So "remaster" is just uglier than old and "ugly" version?

https://cdn.gearnuke.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ubisoft-seal-quality.jpg?fbclid=IwAR0dPuAb7jR8wdF39QkCiZpkPahvh RpOU49jxOfDfywpsGLg95JN08-lhDw

roncelestial
03-30-2019, 11:51 AM
The faces of the remaster are far worse than the original!

flclafi
03-30-2019, 01:29 PM
There's a simple reason for this: the original AC3 used different models for cut scenes vs. gameplay. The cut scene models were obviously better and more detailed. The remaster uses gameplay models for everything.

This isn't true, Desmond's model is proof of that. Desmond in cutscenes looks better than playable Desmond. Look at his hair next time before and after a cutscene.

DerHowl
03-30-2019, 03:32 PM
I noticed that everyone is comparing the first sequences mostly but no one is looking further in the game. Some of the cutscenes later in the remaster look even better than the original, it's just that the shadows and lighting on faces, character models are too bright or missing from some of them, that's really all the bad stuff I could notice from my gameplay.

DreadGrrl
03-30-2019, 07:03 PM
I noticed that everyone is comparing the first sequences mostly but no one is looking further in the game. Some of the cutscenes later in the remaster look even better than the original, it's just that the shadows and lighting on faces, character models are too bright or missing from some of them, that's really all the bad stuff I could notice from my gameplay.

The game has just been released, and the initial impressions of many players can be heavily influenced by the first few minutes of gameplay. How far into the game should we be at this point?

For me, the snow has finally melted after a long, cold, winter. The temps are above freezing, the sun is shining, and I’m presently out mountain biking with my youngest son (but taking a snack break at this moment).

I’ll get back to my “winter sport” (video games) when the snow falls again. Maybe they’ll have tuned up both ACIII and Odyssey by then.

Matima
03-30-2019, 09:48 PM
This isn't true, Desmond's model is proof of that. Desmond in cutscenes looks better than playable Desmond. Look at his hair next time before and after a cutscene.

Yep I can confirm with video. Desmond in cutscenes have "3D" hair but in gameplay are flat.
Also his facial animations. They were always such strange? I don't remember from original. They look like 150% power :confused:

https://youtu.be/aS5onWz1HjM?t=625

Carch
03-30-2019, 10:48 PM
This is super disappointing. I would have thought they would have learned from the ezio collection, but I guess not.

After playing a few hours today, I uninstalled. I thought maybe it was just a glitch and the whole game wouldn't be that bad, but it is. I played on both PC and PS4 pro. Both are awful.

tonygo6970
03-30-2019, 11:23 PM
Hello guys i have bought and finished ac odyssey but i dont have it anymore.If i buy the season pass will i still be able to get to download ac 3 remastered?

flclafi
03-30-2019, 11:27 PM
Yep I can confirm with video. Desmond in cutscenes have "3D" hair but in gameplay are flat.
Also his facial animations. They were always such strange? I don't remember from original. They look like 150% power :confused:

https://youtu.be/aS5onWz1HjM?t=625

Yeah, i'm not sure if the original was the same with the facial animations but I know it was the same with the hair on Desmond at least. It was something that always bugged me and I thought the remaster would fix it.

Animator_Alex
03-31-2019, 01:46 AM
Yeah this needs to be fixed ASAP. This is unacceptable honestly https://youtu.be/gtmOsk_35I4?t=212

MK_2014
03-31-2019, 03:06 AM
I still didn't play the game , but it's really hurt and very disappointing .. I just can't Look at it for long , HOW !! .. Hopefully Ubisoft fix this as soon as possible with patch or update .. because this is unacceptable .. Let's Hope for the best ..

Animator_Alex
03-31-2019, 04:42 AM
I think the problem is the lack of ambient occlusion on the character models. For example the underside of Haythem's cape is always lit up, almost glowing, when it shouldn't be. It looks horrible.

Nightcrawler867
03-31-2019, 09:37 AM
So many people are disappointed. It's better to take more time developing a project than to release something unfinished. Take AC: Unity as an example. The new lighting in general is a good thing however when character models objectively look far worse than before and pop out as an abomination, you should adjust accordingly.

Will there be another Patch and an attempt to fix this issue?
The Remaster looks great in parts, however the characters ruin the experience.

flclafi
03-31-2019, 10:25 AM
One thing I noticed on the PC version is that there is no setting for shadows, and in the Assassin3Remaster.ini "ShadowQuality" is set to 0, while on the original AC 3 changing the shadow setting in-game to max put it's .ini at 2 for shadow quality. So I think shadows themselves are actually at a low setting by default and were overlooked, I'll change the remaster setting to 2 and try to compare tomorrow when I have time.

Janus_FIN
03-31-2019, 10:28 AM
The character models look... Odd. Yes. Have you guys seen the Homestead and other places? Real low poly mountains... and not to mention the TILING!!!!

From my FB: https://scontent.fhel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56229286_2220895104838032_536153184310132736_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fhel1-1.fna&oh=b4a679d15243015431a6234d588b13eb&oe=5D07E615

Also I'd say nope on the fixed snow tracks:

https://scontent.fhel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/55686765_2220893884838154_2281765478386892800_o.jp g?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fhel1-1.fna&oh=2c2c6f068e244ad1a162d096ecc4908b&oe=5D115416

PS4.

DerHowl
03-31-2019, 10:56 AM
One thing I noticed on the PC version is that there is no setting for shadows, and in the Assassin3Remaster.ini "ShadowQuality" is set to 0, while on the original AC 3 changing the shadow setting in-game to max put it's .ini at 2 for shadow quality. So I think shadows themselves are actually at a low setting by default and were overlooked, I'll change the remaster setting to 2 and try to compare tomorrow when I have time.
That would be really appreciated!

martinblanch85
04-03-2019, 06:03 AM
I've changed the ini, putting shadows at 2, and resolutionmodifier from 100, to 200, and i think it looks better
(with shadows in 2, was the first time i noticed there was a day/night cycle)

TwinFire3
04-09-2019, 04:23 AM
I've changed the ini, putting shadows at 2, and resolutionmodifier from 100, to 200, and i think it looks better
(with shadows in 2, was the first time i noticed there was a day/night cycle)
Can you please provide comparison screenshots?