PDA

View Full Version : 2 different Brewsters, how different ?

Saburo_0
10-29-2004, 08:38 AM
IIRC there are 2 Brewsters in PF. I remember hearing that the early Brewster-the one the B239 was based on was lighter & more manueverable, but the next model was quite heavy after additional equipment had been added. Anyone have details or impressions of flight models in PF ??

Thanks!

Saburo_0
10-29-2004, 08:38 AM
IIRC there are 2 Brewsters in PF. I remember hearing that the early Brewster-the one the B239 was based on was lighter & more manueverable, but the next model was quite heavy after additional equipment had been added. Anyone have details or impressions of flight models in PF ??

Thanks!

JG53Frankyboy
10-29-2004, 08:54 AM
well , the B-239 is the export ersion of the F2A-1 , denavalized. it had a 950hp engine

the F2A-2 had a 1200hp engine .
as far the Finns made some modifikations that made the original deliverd B-239 also heavier the F2A-2 should have a better performance in general.
it had only a telescopic sight (like Ki-43 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) , so a drwback vs the finnish B-239

the F2A-2 was btw the basic modell that became the british and Dutch B-339 (same short fuselage and spinner). but these exports had less powerfull engines and were heavier (BuffaloMkI ~900pounds than a US Navy F2A-2) - so they should perform worser !

the F2A-2 saw never combataction in WW2 ! so i wondering why it is in game - perhaps "just" as the basic 3D modell for the export B-339s , wich would be important for a Singapoor ore Rangoon map !

the Buffalo that saw action while the Battle of Midway was the F2A-3 ! also much heavier than F2A-2 and considered:
"it my belief that any commander that orders pilots out for combat in a F2A-3 should consider the pilot as lost before leaving the ground"
it was just overweight with the same engine as F2A-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

as an overeview

http://www.franky.fliegerhospital.de/Brewster%20entwicklung.jpg

Ruy Horta
10-29-2004, 09:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saburo_0:

Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is only one in PF proper, the F2A-2, and its AI only so you cannot make any clear statements on its performance in the game.

It should however have quite a handicap compared to the lighter Mod.239.

Hoping to see a Mod. 339 in the pipeline, but have little faith in the matter.

GerritJ9
10-29-2004, 02:35 PM
The British B339Es were by far the heaviest Brewsters and had 1100 hp engines. The Dutch had two versions, the C with an 1100 hp engine and the D with a 1200 hp engine. The Dutch aircraft were some 250 kg lighter than the RAF aircraft so overall both the C and D had better performance. The weight difference was mainly due to differences in equipment- the RAF aircraft had a Hamilton hydraulic propeller, the Dutch aircraft used the lighter Curtiss electric propeller for instance. Another difference was armament- RAF Buffalos were armed with four 0.50 guns originally, the Dutch Brewsters had two 0.50s and two 0.30s. The Dutch Brewsters could also carry two 50 kg bombs and actually did so on several occasions, most notably at Balikpapan in January 1942.
The RAF aircraft were so overloaded with extra equipment that a Buffalo was stripped of every unnecessary item to try and improve performance- the result was an aircraft that was 1,000 lbs lighter than a standard Buffalo!!!!!!

GerritJ9
10-29-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't see why there shouldn't be several Brewster versions in PF/FB. How many Yak versions are there, for instance, or Me109 versions- some of which were no more than prototypes. Or types that never saw combat, such as the Me109Z and the Go229.
The RAF sent 170 Buffalos to the Far East, the Dutch received nearly 70 before the Pacific war started- hardly an insignificant number.

Snootles
10-29-2004, 02:43 PM
F2A-1: Original prod'n version with 950-hp R-1820-22 Cyclone. Of 54 produced, 44 went to Finland.

F2A-2: 1,200-hp R-1820-40 Cyclone, improved propeller, built-in flotation gear. 43 produced for Navy/Marines.

F2A-3: More armor, bulletproof windscreen. 108 produced for Navy/Marines.