PDA

View Full Version : B-25 Pin Cushion

diomedes33
05-18-2005, 07:31 PM
So last night I was flying online and I met a B-25 over my base while I was in BF-110G. On the first pass my gunsight was taken out, so I was landing about 30% of my bullets. I saw a lot of flashes but she never went down. Eventually I ran out of energy and I had to ditch after loosing an engine.

I fired up QMB today and took a FW-190A-6 against some friendly B-25s. All of them were very durable, but this one was particularly stubborn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/diomedes33/b25.jpg

I was concentrating most of my fire on the left engine and attacking from below. Was this a hiccup in the game engine or can a b-25 handle that much punishment?

diomedes33
05-18-2005, 07:31 PM
So last night I was flying online and I met a B-25 over my base while I was in BF-110G. On the first pass my gunsight was taken out, so I was landing about 30% of my bullets. I saw a lot of flashes but she never went down. Eventually I ran out of energy and I had to ditch after loosing an engine.

I fired up QMB today and took a FW-190A-6 against some friendly B-25s. All of them were very durable, but this one was particularly stubborn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/diomedes33/b25.jpg

I was concentrating most of my fire on the left engine and attacking from below. Was this a hiccup in the game engine or can a b-25 handle that much punishment?

Owlsphone
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
It's weird how sometimes they go down with a quick burst, but others they absorb everything you throw at them.

F19_Olli72
05-19-2005, 05:31 AM
If you want to know just how durable a plane is its better to fly it than against it imo. Take a B-25 online and let us know the result http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Im still very dissapointed noone would enter my "ubergunner challange" to prove how just how uber the AI gunners are... What was that latin proverb again? "Qui tacet consentire videtur" - He who is silent appears to consent.

han freak solo
05-19-2005, 08:46 AM
About the arrows....

I've read many times that if I switch the game to arcade mode in the config.ini file I will get to see this.

I haven't had any luck. I've got the 3.04m patched version and I've tried it with realistic gunnery turned off. Any ideas?

ploughman
05-19-2005, 09:14 AM
In the Config. file change arcade mode from =0 to =1 and don't forget to save it before exiting.

diomedes33
05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Olli72:
If you want to know just how durable a plane is its better to fly it than against it imo. Take a B-25 online and let us know the result http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Im still very dissapointed noone would enter my "ubergunner challange" to prove how just how uber the AI gunners are... What was that latin proverb again? "Qui tacet consentire videtur" - He who is silent appears to consent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should add that I was only firing 20mm cannon rounds at the plane so each one of those arrows is either a cannon hit or splash damage from one. I emptied about half the A6's clip into it before something catastrophic happened. I started noticing smoke from the engine after about a 1 second burst. The flashes were fairly consistent so if 75% of the rounds hit thats about 35 20 mm rounds in the engine. After that I started walking with the rudder trying to tag something vital. I finally did enough damage to the wing that it fell off. At the end the markers for the inboard 20mm was half of what it was to begin with. I believe there's 250 rounds in the inboards and 140 in the outboards. So that's 125 rounds from each gun fired at the b25. If only half the rounds hit (I was at about 150m) that's still 250 rounds pumped into the airframe.

From flying online the B-25 seems to have sweet spots where it will go down fast. If you don't hit these the plane will fly forever no matter how much you put into it. These are about halfway between the engine and wing root, but you have to hit it from above or below just right or else it will only tickle it.

I've flown the B-25 online as well as the A20 and He-111. The B-25 is by far the most durable of the three. I love the A-20 but if you sneeze at it it will fall apart, seems odd to me since it was primarly ground attack. The He-111 seems about right. It can handle quite a few .303s and .50s but won't last long against the Hispannos and Shvaks.

----------
online AI gunners are horrible, they can't hit the broadside of a barn, unless its flying straight and level infront of them. Offline is a completely different story. My pilot has been killed on more than one occasion while diving at 800+kph from the bombers high 5/8.

han freak solo
05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:
In the Config. file change arcade mode from =0 to =1 and don't forget to save it before exiting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes, that's what I have done! I'll look into it again, later.