PDA

View Full Version : (Settlers IV) Support for all languages from The Settlers IV Gold Edition

PaweX03
03-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Hello,
Classic Settlers IV (e.g. Settlers IV Gold Edition) supported this list of languages:

0 ENGLISH
1 GERMAN
2 FRENCH
3 SPANISH
4 ITALIAN
5 POLISH
6 KOREAN
7 CHINESE (only font, no text file)
8 SWEDISH
9 DANISH
10 NORWEGIAN
11 HUNGARIAN
12 HEBREW
13 CZECH
14 FINNISH (no text file)
16 RUSSIAN (only font, no text file, unofficial translation has been made)
17 THAI (no text file)
18 JAPANESE

My question is, when these languages will become available in the History Edition?

I understand that e.g. The New World addition is not supported in these languages and might be never made in the future, but then the game uses English texts as the replacement.
Currently I can't see any option to set, for example, Polish language for The Settlers IV History Edition. I know the file with the game texts exists in the "txt" folder (file name: s4_texts.dat5).

I made a tool that can edit language files so it's not a problem to make a translation of The New World for other languages (I can make Polish translation), however the problem is about the game not allowing to switch to other languages (other than German, English and French).

Even if officially the History Edition does support only three languages, it would be nice to just add more languages for Settlers4Config.exe (or make it using a config file that has a list of languages that can support and the list can be edited e.g. in notepad - because I see that now German, English and French are hardcoded into Settlers4Config.exe). In past Settlers 4 was using MiscData1.cfg file for language settings, so there was a line:
Language = <corresponding language number> which was changing the language of the game. Now in the History Edition this variable has no effect for the game.

Gordek123
04-19-2019, 07:06 AM
You can still change language in Settlers IV History in ...\Documents\TheSettlers4\Config\GameSettings.cfg
All from the above list is available but text only.

Unfortunatelly in Settlers 3 History Edition it doesn't work. Only languages from 0 to 3 works(0-German, 1-English, 2-Italian, 3-French), but in files you can find for example Polish, but can't set 4 to use it. One of the Russian programmer did a patch which replace English to Russian and it works also for History Edition.