PDA

View Full Version : For Honor End of Life Plan

guest-vajZM9OY
03-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Greetings, Heroes!

I'm here today to present to you a couple of ideas to you regarding the end of support For Honor will have one day! Yes, it is a topic we do not want to think about (or, maybe it is!) but regardless, we need to come to the conclusion: For Honor is an Online Only game that runs on a central server. Once the server cuts off, For Honor will no longer be able to be played on any platform. Now when this may happen exactly, no one outside of Ubisoft knows, but it is a reality that we all will have to accept one way or another!

Now, what exactly is the purpose of this post? The purpose of this post is to talk about potential solutions that can help this once the full support of this game cuts off, before the game itself is cut from existence entirely!

Now, where to begin? Let's talk about the big one, first: the servers.

Bare with me on this one: I'm fairly certain that this potential solution is 99.98% not possible to implement based on the design that of which For Honor is made from. Nevertheless, in a perfect world, this would solve many issues. Imagine the matchmaking being made so you can host servers for others to play on, without having to be required to be connected to Ubisoft's central server as well. Aka, true, actual, dedicated servers, without the central server requirement. Sounds simple right? Well, it more than likely is not. However, if we could have the matchmaking set so we can play For Honor without a Central Server requirement, this would increase the longivity of the game, making it live forever, in a sense - much like other games back in the day!

Alright, next up: Cross-Platform Play, and/or Cross-Platform Data transform.

Again, previously said to be impossible to be implemented, both by Ubisoft forum mods and developers. But, what if we could connect our Ubisoft account to PC, Xbox One and or PS4, and, at the very least, transfer our progress from either platform. Why, though? Well, many of us are interested in playing For Honor on other platforms, such as from Console to PC, or Vice Versa. However, some may not be invested in doing so, due to having to start all over with progress, as well as possibly having to purchase even more Steel Bundles (if you're truly dedicated). With being able to transfer your Ubisoft account from platform to platform, you can play with ALL of your friends across all platforms, even without Crossplay, and still keep your progress across all platforms, much like newer games out on the market.

Regarding actual Cross Platform Playing, I completely understand this not being possible, at least, from PC to Console, due to PC having the distinct advantage with increased FPS and performance. Nevertheless, at the very least, Cross Platform data transfers would be deeply appreciated!

Alright. Now with the technical requests knocked out. Let's go over some game design choices that can help this game after support is fully removed from this game.

Allow me to introduce a new Playlist to play from: Events!

Wait, what? I thought we already had that? Well, by "new" Playlist, I mean we have a single playlist that will have *every* single event For Honor has ever had on one handy-dandy playlist, on rotation!

So, what's this mean, exactly? It means by selecting the Events playlist, and selecting PVP or PVAi, you can play any and every event For Honor has ever had on one single playlist! Why just the one playlist? So that way the playerbase won't be divided up any more than it needs to be, and we can play all the events we may have missed or enjoyed so much! After each match ends, you can vote the next map you want to play like any other gamemode, but with which event it comes with underneath it, too! What this would do is have another consistent game mode that will have the playerbase playing the game a little be differently with the constant different events, and keeping it entertaining along the way while it changes things up! I believe this will be a VERY effective tool to introduce into For Honor once the support for this game is officially cut off.

So, fellow heroes, what do you think of these suggestions? I do understand that there are many other steps For Honor would need to keep it alive after support is removed, but these suggestions, in my opinion, could help lead things to the right direction! Lemme hear your feedback!

The_B0G_
03-19-2019, 01:36 PM
I always assumed that if there were no more support for the game, no dedicated servers, they would go back to a P2P structure, like the game was originally.

UbiInsulin
03-19-2019, 06:49 PM
I appreciate that you want to preserve For Honor for the long haul, but we're quite far away from needing this plan.

For comparison, we've made the difficult decision to shut down services for the following games: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1241617-Online-Services-Update-Masterlist . The only PS4/X1 titles that have been shut down are Just Dance 2014 and 2015.

I'm not aware of any plans for cross-platform data transfer (and I don't know whether this is technically possible at this stage). At present, if you own PS4 FH and PC FH, these are listed as different games with different data on our back-end.

I've seen the event playlist suggestion in the past and relayed it to the team. :)

Sweaty_Sock
03-20-2019, 07:37 AM
The only PS4/X1 titles that have been shut down are Just Dance 2014 and 2015.

Why'd you nerf Just Dance 2015 so hard, its unplayable - you should have just buffed Just Dance 2016 to the same level and maybe given it a new opening move

... I'll see myself out

IzunaDrop25
03-21-2019, 05:58 PM
The devs better add a offline mode via a patch when the servers shut down. Not having a plan in place and sharing it with your community of players who spent their hard earned money and time on your product and legally obtained a license to play it and own it is bull crap.

EvoX.
03-22-2019, 12:15 AM
Stop it with this server shutdown nonsense, it's not going to happen.

Bloodwake1980
03-22-2019, 12:53 AM
Oh and you are wrong about cross platform playing. I have a ps4 my brother he is a PC gamer and we are friends thru the game and we run breach and other things all the time. Now have I actually been able to watch this in person no we live 800 miles away.

But he swears he is on PC and that's why he is a lot lower reknown and skill level and set but he's able to parry almost everything thrown at him. Their are some things we can't do together but we can do everything my console version has.