PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III Target Render - why do I love this video so much

Treshcore97
03-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Hello there people! As many AC fans here, I'm waiting for Assassin's Creed III Remaster. It was a great game even by the time it was released and it's more interesting how Ubisoft will improve it. However, there's a one thing they will never achieve because... there's no need in this. Many people here may not know that there is a video which shows the early gameplay prototype of Assassin's Creed III. This game has never existed, it was just a video concept, but I think this is something very beautiful and... this is my favorite video on YouTube. Take a look!

https://youtu.be/Kg3F0SaPfp0

And now, I want to talk about what made this video so... unique. Maybe some ideas shown in this video was thrown away because they were obviously bad from the point of view of most of the gamers, so most of my thoughts will be pretty subjective.

1) The game of colors. As you can see in this video, it is very darkened. Well, because it's just an early morning. However, this is what makes this video it's great atmosphere. All the colors here are pretty sharp: it's black in the sky, trees and shadows, white on the ground and early Connor's outfit, orange in the beginning of the video and the camp and red on outfits. Assassin's Creed III final version nights look more, more bright, and this is why yellow and orange lightnings looks not so expressive. Maybe, this color change was made just because players wouldn't like this atmosphere.

2) The interface looks more minimalistic and elegant. I never really liked the blue theme of Assassin's Creed III. It is a pretty popular color, used in many social networks. In this concept video, I guess, there is a much more elegant interface containing only white color. Also, it's pretty minimalistic and even sci-fi themed: you can see Animus effects when proto-Connor is going to shoot a deer and finds his target.

3) Camera during the battle and stealth. I love these moments when Connor fights the soldiers. They are pretty mature by showing how Connor kills his enemies. For example, this moment when Connor throws a rope dart into the soldier looks more cinematographic when camera changes and shows this scene from the front. Or the moment when Connor performing his hidden blade jump kill. But the most memorable, of course, the camera's position while player changes weapons: it flies, again, in front of the character, showing him in his all beauty. Also, as I can see, there was made a big emphasis on showing some scenes from the front, not from the back as player always sees. Cinematic kills was always a part of the battle, not in the end or in the special combo only.

4) Isn't this camp too populated for... camp? Another object which caught my eye was a camp Connor walks into. We can see that there are lots of people moving around and doing something. Someone asks Connor to give him some medicine (which means that there was no regeneration planned at first). Also, you have an ability to play a game, and I can't remember if there were some games on the open air in the final version. This is the exact example of how the living world should look like - even in camps it's pretty populated.

So, I think, this is it. There are two reasons why I wrote this post. The first one is to show the community what Assassin's Creed III could've looked like. The second one is to give a little throwback to the developers and find out if there are some ideas they didn't liked before but like by now. Assassin's Creed III is still a great and immersive game which gave me a specter of unforgettable emotions and I'm waiting for it's Remastered version very much!

Fret
03-17-2019, 01:05 AM
There are two reasons why I wrote this post. The first one is to show the community what Assassin's Creed III could've looked like. The second one is to give a little throwback to the developers and find out if there are some ideas they didn't liked before but like by now. Assassin's Creed III is still a great and immersive game which gave me a specter of unforgettable emotions and I'm waiting for it's Remastered version very much!

Thank you for making this post. I too feel like this is what Assassin's Creed COULD HAVE BEEN. Ubisoft did a great job getting Assassin's Creed 3 close to the Target Render you posted.

This is what drives me nuts. Thinking of how unique Assassin's Creed was and the potential it had. Instead, in my opinion, Assassin's Creed today is a "Me Too" RPG which in not very unique. Sure, it's big and beautiful; but it is also 2019 so I expect it to be.

UbiCosmos
03-17-2019, 01:07 AM
Hello Treshcore97,

This is a really interesting video, thanks for sharing it with us! :o Also I appreciate your super in depth and well written out feedback about Assassin's Creed III. I am going to move this to the General AC forums, since this is not about Odyssey specifically. :)

N7Eisbaer
03-17-2019, 01:39 AM
Many people always complained about how "bland of a character" Connor was, but considering his background of course he would be a bit naive to the world and the stoicism might have been ingrained by his tribe.

The one major thing that always did irk was the involvement of Connor in so many major events. The video shows a good example of a different mechanic, give Connor a squad of soldiers if needed, keep to the shadows, make sure the big players can reach their goals, but not having Connor be the lynch-pin of the entire revolution.

Example would be the ride of Paul Revere, always irked me the way Connor was at the center of the ride, instead of making sure that no obstacle stood in the ways (additional mission constraints could have been: "Make sure Paul Revere does not notice you intervention." Something along those rides, have Connor be less visible, sabotaging instead of leading.

Treshcore97
03-17-2019, 07:40 AM
Many people always complained about how "bland of a character" Connor was, but considering his background of course he would be a bit naive to the world and the stoicism might have been ingrained by his tribe.

The one major thing that always did irk was the involvement of Connor in so many major events. The video shows a good example of a different mechanic, give Connor a squad of soldiers if needed, keep to the shadows, make sure the big players can reach their goals, but not having Connor be the lynch-pin of the entire revolution.

Example would be the ride of Paul Revere, always irked me the way Connor was at the center of the ride, instead of making sure that no obstacle stood in the ways (additional mission constraints could have been: "Make sure Paul Revere does not notice you intervention." Something along those rides, have Connor be less visible, sabotaging instead of leading.

Well, I think that Connor criticized just because these 'critics' simply have no empathy.
I mean, at the childhood he met an ugly man with black beard who was about to kill him. It's a childhood fear and it cannot be simply ignored even after growing up. Right after this event, he came back to his village, saw many deaths and saw his mother die. It's another mental trauma for the whole life. Years after, he met a goddess which turned him into the eagle and gave him a mission. Of course, after this he will focus all his powers on it. And yes, even after discovering truth about his mother's death, he still looks for Charles Lee... in order to kill his childhood nightmare.
Connor is... I don't want to show disrespect to the people in the same situation but... He's mentally ill. If it was shown like it was in Hellblade: Henua's Sacrifice, the game could be praised and become the intellectual one, like it happened with Bioshock: Infinite or Metal Gear series.

What about making Connor the central character of all the events... I think, it's true too. The most canonical Assassins are the ones who are hidden, who do all the background job and do not show their presence. Connor in the final version was not just like this, of course. From the other side, it's a feature of Assassin's Creed to make player be involved in some historical events and Assassin's Creed III do it well, I guess.
However, I like the concept prototype of Connor much more. In this version, Connor looks just like a real silent hunter: he's much more thin and wears a red color. If the final Connor is more... Well, urbanistic, the prototype Connor seems to be the son of all these forests and trees.

Spiritee
03-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Whhyyy...

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Minionsad.gif

One thing I loved about AC3 is the execution attack animations. Really inspiring material there.