PDA

View Full Version : YAK!!!!

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Ok Ok, here we go about talking about airplanes and performance, Lets get a couple more Yak 3 varients in this game due it being centered towards the Russian theme. True the 109's and 190 guys are going to yell and scream about this yet; why not voice my views? Well; Yaks 3 had a few other great machines.. Just was wondering if these versions will ever be available:VK-107A and the VK-108 motors, which indeed would be an asset towards Yak jockeys. Just think the Yak 3T, 3P (with the 3-20mm and 2-12.5's) 3U and finally the high altitude 3V?? I fly the Big birds and love um too but just not my cup of tea when it comes to faster action. I respect you guys but detest the arrogance that goes along with some peeps and their negative attiudes towards, Hurris, Yaks, or "Bug" planes.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Ok Ok, here we go about talking about airplanes and performance, Lets get a couple more Yak 3 varients in this game due it being centered towards the Russian theme. True the 109's and 190 guys are going to yell and scream about this yet; why not voice my views? Well; Yaks 3 had a few other great machines.. Just was wondering if these versions will ever be available:VK-107A and the VK-108 motors, which indeed would be an asset towards Yak jockeys. Just think the Yak 3T, 3P (with the 3-20mm and 2-12.5's) 3U and finally the high altitude 3V?? I fly the Big birds and love um too but just not my cup of tea when it comes to faster action. I respect you guys but detest the arrogance that goes along with some peeps and their negative attiudes towards, Hurris, Yaks, or "Bug" planes.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Finally someone sees the greatness in the Great Mother Russias finest aircraft....... Lets get some more of this fine, and now undermodelled, aircraft /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:00 AM
You might not be aware there was a lightweight version of the Yak1 too. There were 20 of them, and they saw combat,and kicked butt.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
This Won The War
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/anderson3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:06 AM
Yes! I'd love to see these along with Bearcat (the NAVY plane not the Member, well okay the Member too I guess), A~1, and other End Of War prop fighters and prop bombers.

Message Edited on 07/10/0303:06AM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:16 AM
Right behind ya partner!

http://www.kidsweb.de/dino/yak.gif

The light weight Yak 1 would be interesting.

I just wish people would realize that the YAKs were great designs & if better engines had been available the 109s would have been begging for mercy. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Oh & it would be nice if whiner could say which model of the yak they are talking about. Not all Yaks are the same ewe know.

Besides they can carry alot too!

http://www.alanarnette.com/images/chooyu/base%20camp/yak.jpg

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth." -Roberto Clemente

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:23 AM
The white faced Yaks are the best. (they climb better)

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
This Won The War
<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:23 AM
Hey Buzz, didn't that lightweight version of the Yak even have all mg's removed (just one 20mm cannon)? I think it had all armor, mg's, and uneccessary equipment removed. I didn't know they saw action. Did you mean they kicked LW butt or did you mean kick butt in performance?

What I want is the Yak-3 with 2x20mm cannon and a 37mm cannon in nose. Nice.

http://user.tninet.se/~qbc513r/jn766.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:40 AM
kyrule

Yes they removed the mgs, but acording to the pilots. It didn't hurt them much. I was wrong onthe numbers. They made 10 of them, and they went to the 12thIAP. they worked so good that they made 20 more, and they went to the 512thIAP and 520thIAP.

They had an advantage over the F4 and G2 in the verticle, and easily caught the 109's. In banking turns is where they really shined. Overall they had more kills, and less of their own kills then the regular Yak1. The reason it never went into production is they were a little harder to handle over the heavier production Yaks, and the top brass snuffed it.

What they learned in the light Yak1's was later put into the Yak3. The Yak1 and Yak3 are the same family. The Yak7 and Yak 9's are the other family. The Yak1/3 were the dogfighters.

Da Buzz
<center>
This Won The War
<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:47 AM
All those versions of Yak-3 were either experimental or came too late to participate in the war. But Yak-9UT (Yak-9U with 1x23mm NS-23 motor-cannon and 2x20B-20S cannons, were the main cannon could have been replaced by either 37mm or even 45mm cannon) was in serial production and did took part in the war! This is probably the easiest airplane to add to the Yak line-up - no need to develop not 3D model nor DM or FM - it flu like Yak-9U!

Since Blue side is getting Ta-152 I think it will be very nice to Red to have Yak-9UT.

AKA_Bogun

---------------
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

- Tom Clancy

---------------
Ilsa: "That was the day the Germans marched into Paris."
Rick: "Not an easy day to forget. The Germans wore grey, you wore blue."
Ilsa: "Yes. I have put that dress away. When the Germans march out, I'll wear that dress again."

- Casablanca, 1942

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 05:04 AM
Bogun

Not really true. The high altitude Yak3PD was a Sept44 plane. It had a ceiling og 13000m. It went 710 km/h at 11000m. Not bad huh?

The Yak3 with the VK-107A engine was flying in early 44. It did 611 km/h at SL, and 720 km/h at 5700m. It climbed to 5000m in 3.9 minutes.

Another Yak was tried with the VK-108 engine. It was rated at 1550 hp. It went 745 km/h at 6290m, and climbed to 5000m in 3.5 minutes. This plane out performed the Yak3U which used the ASH-82FN engine from the La7.

Da Buzz
<center>
This Won The War
<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 05:59 AM
True, those are all cool planes (I also like Yak-3U with Ash-82FN engine and two ShVAK cannons) - but they are experimental planes.

The only models of Yak planes in mass production mentioned in this thread - Yak-3P (post war) and Yak-9UT.

And Yak-9UT was produced during the war (282 planes) and was used in combat over Germany!

AKA_Bogun

---------------

- Tom Clancy

---------------
Ilsa: "Yes. I have put that dress away. When the Germans march out, I'll wear that dress again."

- Casablanca, 1942

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 06:01 AM
Yes the 1 and 3 are in the same family. The 7 and 9 are in another yet the other variant the Yak 11 is the spinoff of the Yak3.. The majority of the hyped up supercharged Yak3's had the VK-107 motor.. The VK-108 was essentially the test bird.. What the egineers found out by using the Yak9 motors saved on materials, cost of production and flexibility. Also through trial and error, the oil cooler was not placed in the lower coweling but rather 2 coolers were moved up on the motor to lessen the vulnerability to hits. The VK-107 held the high altitude record but the VK-108 was the fastest, The Later motor was an experimental craft. Never-the-less, there should be no argument why this bird with it's tremendous power, turn radius, roll rate, and capacity to handle 109's with far less experienced pilots in my opinion; is a shame this game makes the Yak9 its frontrunner

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Sigh. During many years of boardgaming with the Air Force / Dauntless system, I used to amaze folks when I'd select the Yak-3. Gaming nights at college saw me consistently make ace during successive flights.

That I'd do this in a Russian plane just amazed folks. Dozens of 109s and 190s fell before my guns. Even those flying US aircraft in "what if" scenarios recoiled in horror as my Soviet-produced fighter blasted Mustangs and Thunderbolts from the sky.

When Il-2 was announced, I couldn't wait to fly the Yak-3 once again.

Then Il-2 came out and the Yak-3 became known as the ultimate n00b plane. It could climb with the best, turn with the best, and never stall. If it weren't for the limited ammo, it would have been unstopable. And no one respected a kill scored from a Yak-3.

Sigh.

Then I discovered the Yak-7B. Yeah, it sucked at everything except absorbing damage. But when you killed a 109 jock in one of those, you got a S!

<center>
http://members.verizon.net/~vze2cb22/KosSig.gif

America: #1 military...#15 in literacy...
Because right wingers run our military
and leftists run our schools!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Yak 9K....I have never had more fun flying an aircraft.

The sound of that cannon is just....astounding.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 07:55 AM
SHHH, the word may be out! We might cause a conspiracy!! I used to be a pony driver incidently..

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 02:11 PM
BuzzU wrote: What they learned in the light Yak1's was later put
- into the Yak3. The Yak1 and Yak3 are the same
- family. The Yak7 and Yak 9's are the other family.
- The Yak1/3 were the dogfighters.
-

All true but I just noticed the other night that The Yak 9 could outturn the Yak 1. Don't have my book with me at the moment but it completed a circle in a second or two less than the Yak1. Kinda surprised me.

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth." -Roberto Clemente

Message Edited on 07/10/0308:12AM by Saburo_0

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 02:17 PM
BuzzU wrote:
- The white faced Yaks are the best. (they climb
- better)
-
- Da Buzz

True but the dark faced ones carry a heavier load & are tougher!

http://www.msu.edu/user/perrinet/elfman/yak.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Saburo_

Your right about the early Yak9 (43). It has the best turn rate (16-17 sec) of all the Yaks. I'm not quite sure why. It slowed down as it progressed.

Da Buzz
<center>
This Won The War
<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Another thread showed that sturdier aircraft with heavy firepower tend to outlast the lighter built more nimble type is large AI dogfights. ...Makes me think, that may be why the Yak 9s were the most numerous models (as i recall), if of course the same applied in the real war.

In FB the Yak 7 has a higher top speed than most Yak 9s & excellant firepower to boot. Any dedicated Yak 7B drivers out there ??

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Yak7 is a nice airplane yet it does not have the performance of the 3, all around the Yak3 is quicker turning, gets altitude faster, and has a better HP to weight ratio than the YAK7. I have flown the 7 today in AI and did rather well yet did not get as good results as I did with the Yak3. I flew with a trial of hurricanes and another mix of 109K-4. Great airplane although, I'm far from an expert but that were my reviews of it in copmparison. Heck I love all the aircraft here, each serves its own purpose.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Dacripler

The Yak3 is a 44 plane. What do you do on 42-43 servers?

Da Buzz
<center>
This Won The War
<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Oh YEA Fully AGREEhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Dacripler wrote:
I respect you guys
- but detest the arrogance that goes along with some
- peeps and their negative attiudes towards, Hurris,
- Yaks, or "Bug" planes.
-
-

Here here here, I agree. I love the yak family, my favorite being the 9t for it's outstanding 37mm love-buttons. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
Why is it that some pilots have to hack the yaks, La's, Hurris, I-153, etc? Sure, they may have some seriously kickarse characteristics in their modelling which may not be 100% accurate, but so what!!!! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Seriously, they still have their weaknesses, so exploit those weaknesses instead of trash-talkin a player for his choice of rides!

CPS_Dragonaire
http://il2_cps.tripod.com

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I fly a 41' F-4

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Dacripler wrote:
- I fly a 41' F-4
-
-

That's Good! Admitting you have a problem is teh First step.

now repeat after me "My name is Dacripler, and I am a an F-4 addict."

Everyone, why don't we welcome Dacripler here to our group!
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Seriously tho' that's not the only plane you ever fly is it ?

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:11 AM
there was also a big cannon variant of teh Yak 3, i think the same gun as the 9T .. but i do not know if it went into serial production, may have only been a prototype

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:52 AM
you mean . . . I could have my beautiful 45mm . .. with other guns that did more than scratch paint?!?!?!?!

I WANT!!!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:56 AM
yeah okay... wanna know why we call them the n00b plane... They are like easy as crap to kill people in.. Too easy means no challenge means no fun.My squad normally fly's 109's 190's and me personally any USA plane available... We were flying in one server and a couple of the guys were on rw using yaks and thought they were just pure ace "RBJ type stuff" No offense RBJ :P I still respect u m8.. even though u wont come dogfight =\ anyways we decided to jump in Yaks and show them how good they really were and not what they thought they were and well every guy in my squad 3 in the server jumped in a yak 3 and we each got 3 kills in one sortie which was basicly everyone on the server.. Then calmly switched back to our much tougher choice of plane and continued. Sorry but Yak 3 is just too easy.. I mean seriously you know why we call it n00b plane?? Well when I first played IL2 know what I flew ? Yak 3 because it felt like I was not even flying but just yawing around.

Marauder

PS> I still respect the PLANE but not the pilot. Anyone can get a kill in a Yak and you know it.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 02:20 AM
WUAF_Marauder

Should everybody fly a 109/190? Won't that be fun.

Tip; Eastern Front..Russia against Germany. Yak..Russian.

Da Buzz
<center>
This Won The War
<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 02:48 AM
The goodness about yak3 is its light weight and high alpha angle handling.

Purely adding a vk107 or vk108 into it can not be efficiency at all.

1st, because the propeller limited the among of power can be transmitted from the engine to the air.

2nd, because the addition weight of the heavier engine would unbalance the weight distribution of the plane.

3rd, because the wing area of yak3 can not be sufficient to provide normal lift ratio after heavier enigne is installed.

Therefore all those combine, the yak3 with vk107 or vk108 engine would only give decent acceleration(or not) in sacrifice of turn rate and climb rate(or not). Or maybe it didn't work at real time at all.

That's why the vk107 is success in a yak9u with larger wing area and bigger propeller. The failure side you can see its the Mig3 AM-38, you got to teach me how to flight that plane, lol

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 03:02 AM
This is the YAK 3 with the 37 mmm co-axial cannon through the spinner. I have no details of whether it was ever operational or just a test bed http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.aviation.ru/Yak/3/Yak-3_37.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 03:09 AM
Some of the Yak variants were:

Yak-3 VK-107A mixed design. Max speed 720km/h. 5000m climb time 3.9min. ceiling 11800m. 2 were built.

Yak-3 VK-107A all-metal wing. Max speed 697km/h. 5000m climb time 4.2min. ceiling 10880m. 3 were built.

Yak-3 VK-107A all-metal design. Max speed 706km/h. 5000m climb time 4.25min. ceiling 11050m. 48 were built.

Yak-3 VK-108 - Max speed 745km/h. 5000m climb time 3.5min. ceiling 10400m. one was built.

Yak-3P (Pushechnyj) - with 3 20mm guns and experimental high speed propellor

Yak-3PD (Perehvatchik Dalnij) - high altitude interceptor with single 20mm gun

Yak-3U (Usilennyj) - whole metal design with VK-107 engine and 3 20mm cannons, April-May 1945.

Yak-3-108 - with experimental VK-108 W-engine (looks like employing 3 rows of cylinders!) Top speed 745 km/h; one 20 mm cannon

Yak-3 [215K] - with 37mm coaxial gun

Yak-3RD (Raketnyi Dvigatel) - interceptor with additional liquid fuel jet engine.

This is the Yak-3-108

http://www.aviation.ru/Yak/3/Yak-3-108_a.jpg

http://www.aviation.ru/Yak/3/Yak-3-108_b.jpg

and this is the Yak 3PD

http://www.aviation.ru/Yak/3/Yak-3PD.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 09:21 AM
My 41 F-4 plane is what I use in the earlier campaign missions, it's a fun ride turns well and can go low and have fun fighting, I resent the fact that you Loyal 109 boys are complaining that its so "easy" to fly the Yaks or a noob plane. How many yaks you see climbing up againsed 3- K-4's and just getting smoked? Now if ya say something intelligent about the superority of your plane than bring it down to a even playing field rather then runnin and hiding all the time. Hell don't even whine about speed and how hard it is to control in a steep dive when you have a couple of backups (not to mention an ammo depo in your gun barrels) Notice an average Yak guy gets 1 kill per sortie, all ya fellas have to do is throw in a tank of gas fly high and vulch at will. Now talk about easy?? Give me a break, oh and the patch does not correct accuracy, pilot skills do.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 07:53 PM
WUAF_Marauder wrote:wanna know why we call them the n00b
- plane... They are like easy as crap to kill people
- in.. Too easy means no challenge means no fun
PS> I still respect the PLANE but not the pilot.
- Anyone can get a kill in a Yak and you know it.

If you're so good I'd think you'd be glad that noobs fly yak3s because it makes it harder to get kills (=more challenging)for you right ? Surely you don't want everyone flying P-40s ?

Yak 3s are beautiful planes & they fly like a dream, what's not to like ?
Personally I think you should respect people reguardless of the plane they fly in this imaginary electonic world you should respect them even if they stink at it. The expression n00b, is stupid and counterproductive.

"Any one can get a kill in a Yak & you know it."

That's what makes it a good airplane.
yaks don't have any overwhelming advantages, calling it noob plane seems like being a bad sport when you get shot down.It Still takes a good pilot in a Yak (of any model) to beat a good pilot in a 109 or 190.

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I wonder if the Russian pilots who were handed a Yak3 said: "Oh no! Don't give me that plane. It's a noob plane"

Arrogant virtual LW pilots are a bore.

Da Buzz

<center>

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Only really dumb LW pilot would call Yak-3 n00b plane.

I will explain..

Smart LW pilot will use best capabilities of his plane and try negate better turning abilities of Yak by not playing the "turning game" with it. He will maintain high energy state of his mount, use his own "Uber" cannons, teamwork - all that help him and not the enemy pilot..

Dump LW pilot would time after time get in a stallfight with the Yaks (or I-16 or I-153, you name it) and after loosing it will try to belittle victory of his smart opponent by accusing him in flying "Uber" or "n00b" plane.

Actually those guys are really deserve the name of "perpetual n00b" - they will never learn, they are not capable or learning, they will just whine forever... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

AKA_Bogun

---------------

- Tom Clancy

---------------

- Casablanca, 1942