PDA

View Full Version : Use MKX's lobby system and accept/not-accept matches

Bill_Scoldberg
03-11-2019, 07:17 AM
So Mortal Kombat X just had a free weekend on steam, and I gave it a try...and i LOVED it because I CHOSE who I wanted to fight (and both parties had to mutually accept the challenge) who were in my skill level. it felt balanced, fair, and we kept rematching like 10 times, because we were having such a good time. MKX's system tells you your opponents's W/L raw numbers, their ping, and odds to win.

I looked in the lobby for people with similar win/loss numbers and thought "that person I can probably hang with."

This got me thinking about For Honor's matchmaking system. We have no choice in the matter of who we face--a part of our enjoyment of this game depends on who we get matched with. often times we get put against people who are much higher skill level than we are, and we have so many screenshots of these imbalances on this forum. We depend on a computer algoirthm that doesnt grasp the totality of the human element to choose who we think we would have fun playing against. So how about we just choose for ourselves, send people a challenge, and see if they accept or not-accept. And if it's a good fair balanced battle, then both sides are likely to rematch. This sounds like what a fighting game matchmaking system should be!

I propose For Honor does this, and show the challenger's Reputation, Win/Loss number and their K/D. Their K/D for actual PvP, not inflated K/D from beating bots. This would help beginners alot because they can play in a beginners lobby room and play with ppl they are comfortable with.

With so many years now since For Honor has been released, and we just got another matchmaking data collection thingy update last week...let's do something new. Actually...these lobbies are what other fighting games do anyways, so For Honor should catch up.

The_B0G_
03-11-2019, 07:48 PM
It could work for duels and maybe brawls, but 4v4 modes couldn't do this, you'll never 8 people who are happy with a match up.

Since the devs put team shuffling and voice chat back into the game I find myself rematching almost every time.

Bill_Scoldberg
03-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Good point 4v4 would be more challenging, so this is what I would do.

Why not just let people create their own dominion lobbies, and let opponents choose whether or not to join manually? and while they wait, let the computer matchmaking add opponents, and see if opponent agree to accept/not-accept being put against those guys.

The_B0G_
03-11-2019, 09:13 PM
One game that comes to mind when you mention manual lobbies/matchmaking is Battlefield 1, it has a quick join but you can never bring a group of friends in with you, without a hassle. Finding lobbies that everyone can join on the same team was very tedious and difficult, and drove us from playing the game.

I'm not saying that it couldn't work, but from what I hear, matchmaking times are already slow on PC, and this would definitely make matchmaking an even slower process, because of people looking for that perfect game.

Like I said at first though, for Duels and brawls this would definitely work, and probably better than the current system, but for 4v4 I don't feel like it would be an improvement.

Bill_Scoldberg
03-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely hear where you're coming from. I propose a hybrid system for 4v4. Keep the lobby idea, and keep matchmaking as a way to continually getting ppl to know there are spots open in that lobby. So people can enter a lobby in 2 ways: 1) Manually or 2) Matchmaking. And of course allow parties as a whole to join. Say you're in a party of 3, and you find a lobby with 2 spots left, you're party wont be able to enter. You can enter only if theres enough spots on one team so no one gets split up.

One of the issues in the current system is that, say if you get a good 4v4, and you want to keep laying. If one or 2 ppl leave or have to gtg, you have to restart the whole matchmaking all over again. With the lobby system, if you want to stay, cool. Whoever leaves can be replaced.

I hear what you're saying about MM times being slow, but are the quality of matches even improving with this extra time? I haven't felt this to be the case. With this hybrid system, you get people who willingly want to join and matchmaking giving suggestions if people want to accept joining or not.

Sweaty_Sock
03-12-2019, 03:14 AM
Please no... I already have 10-15 minute wait timers to find someone, if they could then refuse i'd have noone left to play (for the crime of getting good at a game)

Bill_Scoldberg
03-12-2019, 03:18 AM
Please no... I already have 10-15 minute wait timers to find someone, if they could then refuse i'd have noone left to play (for the crime of getting good at a game)

In MKX, all the really good players easily find others to play with. It wont be an issue because other good people are looking for ppl with similar experience and skill.

How are you waiting 10-15 mins for a game, unless this is hyperbole.

Sweaty_Sock
03-12-2019, 08:12 AM
In MKX, all the really good players easily find others to play with. It wont be an issue because other good people are looking for ppl with similar experience and skill.

How are you waiting 10-15 mins for a game, unless this is hyperbole.

I'll usually allow 5-10 mins for a duel, up to 15 min timeout happens fairly regularly (it errors @ 15) - to find somone I have to wait for the bands to un-narrow from strict etc.etc so a chunk of time goes in that alone. Don't get me wrong sometimes it loads in quickly so I can't leave the room or watch youtube or i'll get afk kicked... why I'm so aware of the timer haha

Edit: its 1:35 before it gets both reputation & skill to wide...

5:35 mins to find a dual at around 6-6:30pm

Bill_Scoldberg
03-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Actually , it sounds like the lobby system will work even better for you. In MKX, you get more than 10 challenges in UNDER A MINUTE. Once people know you're good, they'll challenge you, and you will be swimming in battles. This will help you immensely.

Sweaty_Sock
03-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Actually , it sounds like the lobby system will work even better for you. In MKX, you get more than 10 challenges in UNDER A MINUTE. Once people know you're good, they'll challenge you, and you will be swimming in battles. This will help you immensely.

If this happened i'd predict the following - alot of challenges from players of above average skill who will pick the cheesiest OP thing 'right now' to try cliff/spam me, refuse a rematch and message me some form of insult...

Bill_Scoldberg
03-20-2019, 09:22 AM
So basically whats happening right now and evert PvP game out there. Eventually you will finda good sparring partner and keep rematching. But hey at least you admit the system works =) to reduce wait times. I hope you're not hinting to me that you're avoiding above average players, and want MM to put you with weaker players.

All jokes aside, Ubisoft, do it, bring lobbies just like every single fighting game out there. I don't think relying on matchmaking algorithms is helpful anymore. It hasn't been helpful for 2 years now, let's do what Tekken, Street fighter, mortal kombat, Under Night In Birth , guilty gear and everyone else is doing.

Bill_Scoldberg
03-25-2019, 01:43 AM
And get this. In Mortal Kombat X's lobby system, I can specifically look for ppl who are of a bit higher skill tier than me, and I just send a request for PRACTICE. and it's so fun, no stress, practice as long as you want, and you learn from someone a little bit better than you. Then if its a good fit, you can friend request them. I think this lobby system can help improve the sense of community and developing new friends.

Please Ubisoft, add in this feature.

Inzzane_79
03-25-2019, 09:01 AM
And get this. In Mortal Kombat X's lobby system, I can specifically look for ppl who are of a bit higher skill tier than me, and I just send a request for PRACTICE. and it's so fun, no stress, practice as long as you want, and you learn from someone a little bit better than you. Then if its a good fit, you can friend request them. I think this lobby system can help improve the sense of community and developing new friends.

Please Ubisoft, add in this feature.

Keep in mind that those lobbies are non-ranked, non-reward lobbies! If you implement such stuff in For Honor there will be no loot at the end of a match, maybe even no xp. Too easy to cheese with friends. There would be Posts all over the place reading "Booster Lobby, we boost to rep 20 then change chars and do it again.

Im all for a decline in 1v1 duels. Let me see if my opponent is wired or wireless (wireless is an instant decline).

Sweaty_Sock
03-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Sparring lobbies would be fine, but opponent select was done in overwatch (unprioritise a player from search) - issue was best player in the world couldnt find a game because people just barred him

i11ian
04-19-2019, 03:28 PM
having a lobby in this game is a great idea!
with some preferences like level of bot that replaces a player when someone leaving match
with normal humanlike text chat.
with some other options that could help to communicate with other players and make FH qommunity more social.

for example just imagine small-sized interior location like atmospheric stylish inn or cozy lamp castle room with up to 8 players in it where they can communicate to each other, vote for map, vote for kick, pick a hero or change hero's appearance by entering to customization room, spam emotes and etc. just dreaming...
next level is lobby's customisation or custom hideout like in Path of Exile game. certainly if game engine can handle with it.
people for sure will buy items for their own lobby room and Ubi can profit with it better than by selling steel for unnecessary outfits thats just patterns or for ornaments thats in general looks very ugly & stupid becase you can't choose location, size and angle for their place on armour.

FH is very boring without good social communication and players interaction outside the match.