PDA

View Full Version : What one aspect do you think adds realism to this sim?

MaxBruder
09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I personally like the buffeting that sometimes occurs near the ground. Nice touch!

MaxBruder
09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I personally like the buffeting that sometimes occurs near the ground. Nice touch!

BaldieJr
09-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Drugs add lots of realism. Then I sober up and realize its just a video game.

antifreeze
09-19-2005, 10:33 AM
If by 'realism' we are talking about 'added immersion', I would say radio comms (such as Teamspeak), voice command programs (such as VAC or Shoot), the radio-chatter packs, and Mat Manager are the top four immersion addons.

For actual in-game detail, I'd have to say the new clouds make the landscape very atmospheric and immersive.
Also, I discovered that by adjusting the bass-boost on my plantronics headphones, the engine sound becomes a lot more powerful, with more textures and layers.
Finally, I also like the buffeting wind below 300m in 'poor' weather; I wish we could have more turbulence effects in the game.

money_money
09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
trackir

$

neural_dream
09-19-2005, 11:34 AM
The bad weather is really cool.

stathem
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Opening canopies. I love opening canopies. The better view. Snapping it shut when about to head into a scrap or strafing run.

Dunno why, it just feels great.

Saunders1953
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm with Baldiejr on this one.

tigertalon
09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Energy retention of heavy fighters (P47, F6F, Fw190...) in zoomclimb and in highspeed turns. Should be much better than it is now, biggest proof being F6F v A6M match.

SeaFireLIV
09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Sirens was the very first for me. 2nd was attacking a lorry convoy and watching men ryn away from it! Next came the way you can take down an aircraft in a multiple of realistic ways. Screams of Jerry bomber pilots going down (quite grim and realistic counding). The list goes on...

Bearcat99
09-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I think you would have to divide that up into sub categories -hardware, software, in game- and there cant be only one.. there are too many things in this sim that add to the immersive realism of the sim....
for hardware I would have to go with TIR,rudder pedals, a USB headset and a decent HOTAS setup....

for software I would have to say VAC and any voice comms... like TS or Vent....

for in the sim itself I would have to say the clouds, the buffetting, the lack of collision bubbles- you can chew up a planes rudder with your prop and depending on the plane and your speed do no damage , minor damage or extensive damage to your own plane.... that fact that you can be killed by 1 shot... and your screen just goes black, the fact that when you get close to the water you can kick up a bit of spray, the opening canopies.. and the fact that the sound changes, the CEM, the fact that you can be taken down by the debris of your target if you arent carefull, the fact that you can tell the AI to do stuff..... and they will respond.... even if often they dont actually do what you told them to, the fact that the DMs are such that if you take a hit to the engine and start to loose oil you can see your oil gauge go down along with your mp, and temps go up.... same with a hit in the tank, the fact that if your hydraulics get shot out you have the option of manually lowering your gear,the fact that you can put your own picture on a pilot skin,the fact that there are noticeable differences between winter, summer and desert maps, the fact that the clock works in real time, and I am sure there is more.. but those are some of the things that really float my boat.

faustnik
09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
The DM effects make the sim seem more (or less) realistic for me.

NorrisMcWhirter
09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
The propaganda war that rages on these forums makes it more realistic by far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris

Kuna15
09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
First aspect I can think of -- I remember the moment, now several years ago, when I load up QMB mission in IL-2 demo, my very first IL-2 mission. Me in Yak-1 cockpit and Stukas are incoming head on. I still remember it.

Just first few minutes was enough for conclusion that this is really good game.

Great graphics, a lot of planes and good flight models - that makes the difference between this game and the rest of the genre. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If I must say one aspect exactly - than graphics.

HayateAce
09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
The little wisps of smoke out the stacks when you fire/refire the engine. Now if they would just add the occasional backfire when you close the throttle as your wheels touch down.....

Low_Flyer_MkII
09-19-2005, 03:53 PM
For me it's the rendition of as good a 3D environment as possible, given today's technology.

My family still laugh and point every time I duck (often accompannied by a word that sounds like duck) when I fly way too close under enemy a/c - now that's immersion http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Bearcat99
09-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Id love to see the fire coming from the stacks on night missions....

WOLFMondo
09-19-2005, 04:46 PM
That would be cool. Also smoke effects of things like GM1 when in use and the stacks getting white hot when the engine is overheating. Would look great at night.

The radio chatter I like, the Austrialian ones are cool and the British ones are funny. All the German ones sound like there dying horribly even though there only telling you there making a tighter formation or attacking etc.

Tully__
09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
For me it's flying with other humans as a team, or avoiding other humans on the other side (in other words, multiplayer coops). The offline flying is fun, but without the human interaction it's just a bit too close to "just another 'blow stuff up' game" for my liking.

Having said that, it's still miles ahead of just about anything else I've played for immersion. The only other game I've played that comes close to feeling like really being there is the original Silent Hunter sub sim.

Firestorm07
09-19-2005, 10:22 PM
What one aspect do you think adds realism to this sim:

When I watch documentaries where veteran pilots discuss the tactics, techniques and intricacies of dogfighting and I realise that I agree.

TAGERT.
09-19-2005, 10:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaxBruder:
I personally like the buffeting that sometimes occurs near the ground. Nice touch! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Easy.. TrackIR support.

GR142-Pipper
09-20-2005, 12:43 AM
My choice would be tracers.

GR142-Pipper

Zjoek
09-20-2005, 01:45 AM
Haha yeah the German voices are great. Much better than the Russian ones. The Russians seem.. sedated.

"Ich... Ich muss abspringen! Hilfe!"
"HASST DU NIE VON FLIEGEN GEHORT?!?"

(sorry, I s1 t3h suXx0r at German spelling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

Ow yeah. I agree! The tactics. And.. and the graphics! Not to forget that this is the first sim I know of that really requires you to actually aim... In other sims (CFS 2 was the previous one) you just needed to shoot in the vicinity of the enemy. Not so with il2!

spitzfiya
09-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Well i know of things that dont make this game immersive... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1) The horrible, ugly, poor layout of the menues, It really has no specific theme, why can't the menues be flashy like in Heros of the pacific? Why can't it have artwork and propaganda that matches the atmosphere of the sim? Looks like this game was made by a 70 year old man who could give a **** about making things look "cool"
2) The horrible music chosen by someone who lives in an 8bit midevil world...
3) The horrible FX (Explosions, Tracers, Bullet strikes, smoke) All look unrealistic to the eyes.
4)The horrible sound effects like Gun fire (My god do all the weapons in this game sound stupid and muffled!) engine sounds, ect
5)The ground and city details really make it feel like just a game.

The visual, Audio aspect of this sim is incredibly unprofessional...The physical, technical, and historical aspect of this sim is incredibly professional!

But in the end i still play it because it's the only good WW2 Combat Flight Sim available...It dosen't make me go "wow" but it gets the job done in providing an incredible experience online.

NorrisMcWhirter
09-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Hmmm...let me see. What would I prefer to have?

A flashy UI/duper sound/FPS eating cities or as realistic a WW2 combat experience as can be expected from a small developer's game running on a home PC?

Ta,
Norris

FlatSpinMan
09-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow Spitzfiya, you're a tough guy to please. I kind of agree about the menus but I'm pretty happy with the explosions and fires. And the graphics of this game do still make me go "wow", particularly now that I have perfect mode running again (oddly enough, by just using the default driver instead of newere ones which made all the land and sky disappear). It's just a few extra trees and some sharper textures but some maps, like Balaton, Crimea, look amazing.
So for me, the landscape is a biggy, also the opening cockpits. I think the new crashes you get when you fly into the ground seem more realistic too - longer and more complicated, not just some animation. Not that I fly into the ground or anything http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif.

TheCrux
09-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Gun recoil, smoke tracers.

Wolf-Strike
09-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Im with Baldie.

And I also feel that its just a great all around package.I find I see alot of peeps say that graphics dont matter and that its all fm for immersion.But I feel that once BOB arrives that they will change their minds.

When we get photo realism and super fidelity FM's/sound and add in some smoke I will meld forever into my virtual pilots life and it will be all good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Bearcat99
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I thought the title was "What one aspect do you think adds realism to this sim... or something like that.... Not another bitc#fest of gripes or a wishlist. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm just sayin....... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Tachyon1000
09-20-2005, 08:40 PM
How about the lack of tons of threads that b**** about how this or that FM, DM, climb yada, turn yada, belt yada, is not accurate?

I'd never know the difference if people didn't complain so much.

Ignorance is bliss.

DarkStar68
09-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I love the rail-gunn object that came with 4.1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

-HH-Quazi
09-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I like the radio excerpts of the big band era. I don't know how often pilots were able to actually listen to the radio while on patrol or on their way back from a mission, but flying a 15000 ft in the clear blue cold sky on my way back to base and listening to the Glen Miller Band kicking one up, or the ladies that sang Chatanooga Choo-Choo carrying on, it just puts me in a 40's era mindset, or at least my idea of a 40' era mindset. Makes me feel like having a cold one and meeting some nurses at the cantina after I land and get cleaned up. HEHE

Badsight.
09-20-2005, 10:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spitzfiya:
The visual, Audio aspect of this sim is incredibly unprofessional.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you are playing a 2001 developed game

it looks fantastic for 2001

jetsetsam
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
I like the new splashes of the different AA rounds as they fall into the water around me on a torpedo run. Sometimes it feels as if you can breathe the water vapour. And the jolt of rounds hitting my plane. And the explosions of the different types of AA as you approach a big ship.

Old_Canuck
09-21-2005, 12:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antifreeze:
Also, I discovered that by adjusting the bass-boost on my plantronics headphones, the engine sound becomes a lot more powerful, with more textures and layers.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome tip M8. Will have to give this a try on the old Plantronics headset. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

rnzoli
09-21-2005, 01:45 AM
The violent and powerful sounds of bullet hits on my plane. Scared me to death in the beginning, getting totally numb and disoriented.

I thought I would get used to it and would not bother. But even after my 5000th death, it is still scary. But at least now I automatically start doing scissors or a barrel roll... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Kuna15
09-21-2005, 02:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnzoli:
The violent and powerful sounds of bullet hits on my plane. Scared me to death in the beginning, getting totally numb and disoriented.

I thought I would get used to it and would not bother. But even after my 5000th death, it is still scary. But at least now I automatically start doing scissors or a barrel roll... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny thing... I am doing exactly same thing. And yes, bullet 'plinking' sound sometimes scares me really good -- relaxed flying for a while hearing nothing but an engine roar. Suddenly I think I saw some blue flash, but I don't pay much attention.
Immediatelly after that I jump from my chair hearing that loud noise of cannon fire tearing my wing apart. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pres_
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
The physics modelling for me. The way a shot off plane part, like a control surface, rotates and falls away relative to the plane you just shot it off. The flight physics, the weapon and damage physics (all the stuff people hate when they think it's wrong), it's beautiful. It might be historically inaccurate but it's still beautiful and it sets this game apart from the arcade stlye. It also makes this game fiendishly hard at first!

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-23-2005, 11:00 AM
The debris of an exploded plane at 10,000 ft sprinkling into the water minutes later as well as ground/water impact of projectiles while straffing a low flyer or ground object.

Also, seeing the Incindiary effect of API ammo on a bandit at range.

There are so many things that I feel we all take for granted at this point that make the entire experience more immersive that it's hard to see the forest for the trees so to speak.

TB