PDA

View Full Version : Heroes fun to play against - A ranking

Tyrjo
03-09-2019, 01:51 PM
My personal ranking of how much I enjoy facing each of these characters in the Duel game mode. Please add your own experiences, but only from the Duel game mode please. Take note that this is NOT a tier list of the characters viability.

Very fun to play against
Berserker - When you face a good Berserker you know it's going to be a fun and interesting fight. A great example of a strong hero that still is fun to fight against.
Tiandi - Not only pleasing to look at animation wise (that female voice though... -.-) also fun to play against for some reason.
Kensei - Fun to play against because of all the different options that are available in the kit. Most Kenseis don't only go for top light or zone, they actually use other parts of his kit.
Shugoki - The Shugoki rework turned out to be really interesting to play against. There is a lot of versatility to the kit and it makes it fun to fight a Shugoki.
Gladiator - Has an interesting kit, and fighting a Gladiator which isn't afraid of doing something else than the zone attack is really fun.

Fun to play against
Nobushi - I particularly enjoy fighting Nobushis which are adept at going in and out of the hidden stance at the right moment.
Shaman - Quite balanced after the nerfs. Has different options and most Shamans use most of the kit.
Jiang Jun - Fun to play against despite him having quite a small kit.
Orochi - Fun to play against, especially an Orochi that has mastered the principles of counter-attacking.
Raider - I find Raiders fun to play against right now. Hope this will continue to be the case after the upcoming changes.

Neither fun or boring to play against
Warlord
Peacekeeper
Valkyrie
Centurion
Lawbringer

Boring to play against
Aramusha - Just "meh". Although, when you face someone skilled with Aramusha, it can be a fun fight.
Highlander - The worst kind of Highlanders are the ones that just turtle in Offensive Stance. One small mistake may very well be the end of you. Either your cake walk for the win or get brutalized.
Nuxia - A light spam machine with an occasional trap. -.-
Shaolin - I don't know what it is with the Shaolin I don't like. I just don't like fighting them.

Very boring to play against
Warden - Extremely boring to fight against since fights only revolve around the Shoulder Bash guessing game. Worst rework ever in terms of "fun to play against".
Black Prior - Extremely boring to fight against since the Shield Bash has no real punish for everyone but two of the heroes. Why use other parts of the kit when you can bash your damage in? I seriously can't fathom how the fight team took the decision to make a 500ms bash deal 20 dmg and be unpunishable, but I'm guessing to selling season passes.
Conqueror - Extremely boring to fight since it only revolves around the Shield Bash. If you have no dodge attack, enjoy.
Shinobi - Just so annoying to fight. It feels like I'm trying to catch a small slippery rat, which occasionally gathers the courage to come in on me for something that is either unpunishable or almost unreactable. Hopefully the upcoming Shinobi changes will make it more fun to fight Shinobis.

feedmeyourcows
03-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Honestly? I would say most characters aren't fun to fight against, to name a few examples (Correct me if I am wrong on a few details):

Orachi: Light spam, light spam and light spam some more, the battle is 95 percent how good your reaction time is.

Shugoki: The only way you can ensure your safety on his hug/heavy attack is to roll the **** back, boring.

Kensei: I find a boring character, to play and to fight against. His kit entirely revolves around "Ooo, I wonder what he is going to feint his top heavy into this time or... Maybe he is going to throw a curveball and let the heavy fly."

Tiandi: Don't really have much comment as I hardly ever see them; when I do however all I can think is: 'Shut the hell up'

Berserker: Why does an assassin have more hyper armour then a man in plate armour? I would really like to know.

On a unrelated note, the penguin walk doesn't help either

Tyrjo
03-09-2019, 02:53 PM
What I think I want to say with post is that it's fun to fight a Hero, but when it turns into fighting only a move in their kit, it gets incredibly boring.

Goat_of_Vermund
03-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Depends on personal preference. I personally hate berserkers so much that I almost never give a rematch, shamelessly use whatever I can against shugokis, and only like to fight shamans because it's fun to hurt them. Meanwhile, I have no problem with warden, conq, bp and nuxia, and highlander is one of my favourite opponents.

Sweaty_Sock
03-09-2019, 07:52 PM
This reads like a list of the characters in the order you play them... any character is fun if the opponent uses their full kit. Any character is boring if they use almost none of it...

You seem to think spammy characters are fun to fight, bashing characters are not...

Also the fact you think only guessing can save you from a warden makes me wonder what level your playing at? Struggling to understand how shugo 50/50 guessing game is made fun while wardens is somehow different (despite being far worse now...)

UbiInsulin
03-09-2019, 08:34 PM
This is OP's personal list, as they said. It's not a proper tier list, and it's not objective. Rather than poking holes in it, I think it would be cool if other people shared theirs. :) I'd like to see what everyone thinks.

Siegfried-Z
03-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Funny topic.

On my side i really enjoy To fight against :

Glad : if he doesnt spam zone is very fun to fight against

Raider : while for a reasons i dont really know good raiders give me a hard time lol

Zerk : his offense is damn strong but i really enjoy fighting them and try to read them. Love it when i parry the 400ms feint !

Valk : she is just a char i enjoy To fight against and To play with

Shaman : because of her agressive kit

Kensei : because of his mix up options, require many reads. But can be bait too which is fun

Shinobi : if he doesnt run away and only slide kick to lights. An agressive and good shinobi player is fun to fight against

Shaolin : same reasons as Kensei

The one i dont like to fight against.

Bash spam char : specially BP. But Conq and warden too. Their are annoying To fight and To play for me.

Lights spam char : Roch, Nuxia, Tiandi because it is just always the same thing against them

I also dont like to fight :

WL : i just find them boring To fight

HL : no words To say how OS turtles makes me crazy

Shugo : because most of time you only can look for some counter attack or parry due To his amount of HA. And because of his amazing tracking on DE

JJ : because of how he can dance arround and his huge dmg

For the others i dont care, not fun, not boring To me.

Knight_Raime
03-09-2019, 09:28 PM
TBH there are only two heros I dislike fighting. Highlander and shinobi.

Goat_of_Vermund
03-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Okay. Here is mine:

Love

Highlander: Fighting an offensive stance HL is always intense, probably my favourite matchup. He is also one of the hardest characters, so it's good to see someone really good with him.

Raider: Weak character usually played by skilled players. If someone picked him for a duel, that usually means they are sure in themselves or they won't care enough to be salty. Either way, a great start.

Warlord: He is a fair character now, maybe a little weak (op probably can say far more about that). Good warlords are fun to fight (the bad ones humping the air after a ledge are fun to kill, that's a plus too).

Peacekeeper: Since she is my main, I always find it fun to watch how others handle her disabilities. I really love to fight them, especially in mirror and if it's a good one. It is also kind of good to show them my mixups, it's good to spread some of my experience.

Gladiator: Balanced character built on aggression, he is always a good and dynamic fight.

Nobushi: Great technical fighter, a good one can do surprising things. I was kinda shocked when my Black Prior was owned by a Nobushi after I massacred dozens of them with weaker characters.

Warden: Okay kit, nothing great, but if a good one plays him, it's always a good fight.

Kensei: Same as warden.

Conqueror: Finding a way to beat the king of duels is always a fun challenge for me, especially if I face one who knows what he is doing.

Neutral

Black Prior: Some of them are irritating (mostly because his light-bash offers very great rewards for no risk, you should seriously make it punishable at least for dodge attacks, he has ways to deal with that too, it wouldn't weaken him), some of them are fun to fight. Entirely player dependent.

Valkyrie: I don't have anything against her, but that is true for the other way around.

Orochi: Not a fan of the spam and design, but I don't hate him either, some of them are fun to fight.

Aramusha: A little boring characterdesign, but nothing I would hate.

Nuxia: Nothing unfair, and you won't see any in duel anyway. Her mixups can be interesting, but I have never seen really good ones.

Dislike

Lawbringer: While I absolutely love him, most of them are just block shove turtles. Hopefully your rework on him won't be as pathetic as peacekeeper's.

Centurion: A quite boring turtle, you either kill him easily without walls, or die to a wallsplat and feel robbed.

Shaman: I actually love to fight them, because I like the way they die. Their kit is boring, some of her attacks are unfair, and her voice is irritating.

Shugoki: Same 50/50 with hyperarmor, you are forced to roll out, and if you are close, you are forced to always go for 500ms light parries since they are hyperarmored. They are also quite salty most of the times if you happen to bash spam them (nothing else works consistently against their hyperarmor and selfheal tbh).

Tiandi: I love when they shut up for good, I hate their voice (I hate the male more)..

Shaolin: I don't think a little mentally ill bald guy with a stick has a place on a battlefield, but I don't have problems with his kit. His aestetics and voice are so irritating they make the fight irritating themselves.

Hate

Berserker: Hyperarmor on everything (including 400ms attacks), some of the best parry punishes, best deflect, unappaeling look, some of the saltiest persons I met mained him. Nothing fun to fight against. You must turtle and parry, that is your option, you can't counterattack because they will hit you anyway, you can't space because they can hit the air without any disadvantage, and they have about 6 different ways to follow up, all hyperarmored. And that stupid zone... if you counter that as Black Prior with a light counter, the rest of the zone hits you anyway before the berserker takes any damage.

Jiang Jung: He is very irritating for me in everything. He has an assassin's speed, a heavy's speed and a vanguard's reach- his stupid spear sometimes kills you when it clearly did not touch you. His look is also unappaeling.

PS: I forgot Shinobi... which describes my opinion on him. Of course I hate him too.

rottmeister
03-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Okay so I'll start off with saying I'm going to make my list based on the moveset rather than how they're played (so no "light spam" or bash spam).

Love:

Orochi: I really like fighting non spamming Orochi's, sometimes even spamming ones. Then I'll just deflect, lol. I had a brawl session this week with a friend and every time I either parried or deflected Orochi/Nuxia lights, I felt like I truly ascended (it happened A LOT, I saved so much footage that day, lol).

Kensei: fun mix ups

Shaman: Very fun to fight. i need to be careful for her softfeinted gb's though.

Highlander: fun to fight overall.

Warlord: One of the opponents I deflect the most so yeah, ... I like deflects.

Jiang Jung: He can put a lot of pressure on you, but he's really fun to fight 1 vs 1. I always manage to get him to do his sifu's poise, so that's a free gb.

Raider: fun to fight, nothing to add.

Like:

Nobushi: fun mix ups and mind games

Berserker: depending on the opponent I either destroy them or get destroyed. Sometimes there's a battle that is insanely intense, but it doesn't happen too often so I don't put him in "love".

Peacekeeper: sometimes I can get tricked by her, but generally fun to fight.

Centurion: ez deflects and fun to fight.

Neutral:

Lawbringer

Valkyrie

Tiandi

Shaolin: wanted to put him lower, but that depends on the opponent.

Nuxia: Since I don't count "spam", she's not in "hate"

Shugoki

Shinobi

Conq: would be lower if he spammed bash

Hate:

Gladiator: "I DoDgED ThAT" and "StuPId hEaVIes AreN'T VUlnERaBLe to GB's"

Delete pls:

Aramusha: no comment

Warden: STOP WITH YOUR BULL**** SHOULDERBASH (It's a mix up, so yes, I count it, lol)

Black Prior: BOI... I CAN'T PUNISH HIM period

Tyrjo
03-10-2019, 10:08 AM
This reads like a list of the characters in the order you play them... any character is fun if the opponent uses their full kit. Any character is boring if they use almost none of it...

You seem to think spammy characters are fun to fight, bashing characters are not...

Also the fact you think only guessing can save you from a warden makes me wonder what level your playing at? Struggling to understand how shugo 50/50 guessing game is made fun while wardens is somehow different (despite being far worse now...)

Shugo doesn't have a guessing game in the same manner. With Warden you don't know if the bash is going to be level 1, level 2 or level 3. You can of course just roll and hope he doesn't do that ridiculously looking forward dodge heavy.

Sweaty_Sock
03-10-2019, 02:34 PM
This is OP's personal list, as they said. It's not a proper tier list, and it's not objective. Rather than poking holes in it, I think it would be cool if other people shared theirs. :) I'd like to see what everyone thinks.

But thats the problem... any character is fun to fight IF your opponent goes for the full kit & takes risks.

My list - I like versing players who use the full kit of their character & don't teabag

EDIT: @Tyrjo but hyper armour doesnt kick in straight away on warden so a light breaks all three... no guess involved just don't stand there waiting

EvoX.
03-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Black Prior - Extremely boring to fight against since the Shield Bash has no real punish for everyone but two of the heroes. Why use other parts of the kit when you can bash your damage in? I seriously can't fathom how the fight team took the decision to make a 500ms bash deal 20 dmg and be unpunishable, but I'm guessing to selling season passes.

So much truth, especially the last part.

Sweaty_Sock
03-11-2019, 12:07 AM
So much truth, especially the last part.

Don't hate the fight team, hate the marketing department :)

Remember there are alot of people working on this, some of which have the skills to animate, program & design a game that I have put 100's of hours into, and without them I wouldnt be able to play it - if your gonna hate, hate in the right direction

Tyrjo
03-11-2019, 12:36 PM
But thats the problem... any character is fun to fight IF your opponent goes for the full kit & takes risks.

Exactly. And it's up to the devs to create heroes in such manner that you have to take risks. Otherwise tournament and high level play is only going to look like that famous pro tournament from 2017. Nobody is enjoying watching something like that. Who is going to enjoy watching a tournament these days with Black Priors shield bashing their way to victory?

My list - I like versing players who use the full kit of their character & don't teabag

EDIT: @Tyrjo but hyper armour doesnt kick in straight away on warden so a light breaks all three... no guess involved just don't stand there waiting

Lighting is also a way to beat level 2 or level 3, but for level 1 you are going to need to be pretty fast unless you have a 400ms light. Most Wardens catch on though, so it's not something you can use consistently. I'd rather that they nerfed the bash damage and made other parts of his kit better and deeper.

Col.Bullet
03-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Exactly. And it's up to the devs to create heroes in such manner that you have to take risks. Otherwise tournament and high level play is only going to look like that famous pro tournament from 2017. Nobody is enjoying watching something like that. Who is going to enjoy watching a tournament these days with Black Priors shield bashing their way to victory?

Lighting is also a way to beat level 2 or level 3, but for level 1 you are going to need to be pretty fast unless you have a 400ms light. Most Wardens catch on though, so it's not something you can use consistently. I'd rather that they nerfed the bash damage and made other parts of his kit better and deeper.
Aggree.