PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Kensei can have something like this?

poppindancers
03-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Admittedly, this is a shameless self-promoting post.

While I was making this I wonder when if ever that For Honor would consider a hybrid culture design such as this.

This is what I come up with:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/a-hundred-applause-nodachi-model-c66c02a4e2e74d86b63e58654c7d9009

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/016/308/614/small/yen-ting-chiang-05.jpg?1551696367

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/016/308/608/small/yen-ting-chiang-07.jpg?1551696357

I think it would be a cool addition to the arsenal of the samurais. Any thoughts and critique is welcome.

Goat_of_Vermund
03-05-2019, 11:45 AM
I think it's logical to take at least some of the enemy's weaponry if you fight them over a thousand years. And we all know this handguard is far more practical, it would be a good addition.

Nikaa47
03-05-2019, 12:11 PM
I think it's logical to take at least some of the enemy's weaponry if you fight them over a thousand years. And we all know this handguard is far more practical, it would be a good addition.

You mean not practical or?

Inzzane_79
03-05-2019, 02:47 PM
That thing looks awesome!

poppindancers
03-06-2019, 02:49 AM
Well, I'd say they stand on par with one another, but it just seems weird they would not consider other clan's advantage and use them given the chance.

I'm currently building something that is Japanese origin but damaged and only have western materials and smiths to repair it with. I think it would look fantastic.

Or a mess, we'll see.

poppindancers
03-06-2019, 02:51 AM
Equally practical no?

poppindancers
03-06-2019, 02:58 AM
that thing looks awesome!

thx!

Nikaa47
03-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Well, I'd say they stand on par with one another, but it just seems weird they would not consider other clan's advantage and use them given the chance.

I'm currently building something that is Japanese origin but damaged and only have western materials and smiths to repair it with. I think it would look fantastic.

Or a mess, we'll see.

Stay with your first assumption because there aren't any disadvantages or advantages. I say that because we got to many varying time periods in the game if we take it out of the fantasy genre.
There is also not really a difference between a eastern or western swordsmith and their materials, only the natural conditions differ on how development took place.

Equally practical no?

Not really sorry. There are to many breaking points compared to the surfaces size and if we take it a bit more serious the used material which looks a bit like a copper alloy or even a bronze cast which aren't the best choice in this case.
So I think your main problem is that you tried to combine a tsuba with a western sword guard without reconsidering their different use and the appropriate handling of the different sword types.
A classical tsuba mostly made of non ferrous metal for decoration, only got the purpose from preventing the hand from slipping into the blade, while a western type sword guard had a versatile use for example to parry or as a hook.

In all you did a great job especially with the texturing.

poppindancers
03-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Stay with your first assumption because there aren't any disadvantages or advantages. I say that because we got to many varying time periods in the game if we take it out of the fantasy genre.
There is also not really a difference between a eastern or western swordsmith and their materials, only the natural conditions differ on how development took place.

Not really sorry. There are to many breaking points compared to the surfaces size and if we take it a bit more serious the used material which looks a bit like a copper alloy or even a bronze cast which aren't the best choice in this case.
So I think your main problem is that you tried to combine a tsuba with a western sword guard without reconsidering their different use and the appropriate handling of the different sword types.
A classical tsuba mostly made of non ferrous metal for decoration, only got the purpose from preventing the hand from slipping into the blade, while a western type sword guard had a versatile use for example to parry or as a hook.

In all you did a great job especially with the texturing.

Got it...I think?

Ubiflowessence
03-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Looks pretty awesome! ;)

LionsFang78
03-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Christ that thing looks badass! Wouldn't make for a terrible design for an actual sword, either

poppindancers
03-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Christ that thing looks badass! Wouldn't make for a terrible design for an actual sword, either

Thank you! I'm going to make a series of these hybrid culture weapons/armors. Hopefully they will look practical at the same time.

poppindancers
03-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Looks pretty awesome! ;)

Feel free to take it and make a even better one! it is free to download.

The_B0G_
03-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Almost looks like a rapier, pretty slick. Better than most of his guards.

poppindancers
03-12-2019, 03:44 AM
Almost looks like a rapier, pretty slick. Better than most of his guards.

I always wonder why samurai are restrain from using material other than wood and irons. We're in year 3 and all, and I would really like to see some metal armor and hybrid component.

You would think they will use whatever gives them an advantage, but I guess samurai are stubborn like that.