PDA

View Full Version : Pac Fighters and Forgotten Battles

RSSS
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
As I understand it Pacific Fighters can be in stalled as an add-on to Forgotten Battles. What is the benefit of installing Pacific Fighters as an add-on to Forgotten Battles?

Thanks in advance

J.P.

RSSS
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
As I understand it Pacific Fighters can be in stalled as an add-on to Forgotten Battles. What is the benefit of installing Pacific Fighters as an add-on to Forgotten Battles?

Thanks in advance

J.P.

papaboon
01-05-2005, 02:27 PM
As I understand it, installing FB+AEP+PF gives you the benefit of all flyable aircraft in all three games, together! Plus the missions!

Friendly_flyer
01-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Installing the whole package, you'll get about three times the number of planes (flyable and AI). Specifically you will be able to fly German and Russian planes. The German planes are known to most of us plane-geeks, but the Russians are a new and exiting experience. You'll be able to try everything from the stubby little I-16 (looks a bit like a GB-sport) to the ultra sleek late Lavochin and Yakolev-planes, as well as a few Italian birds.

An extra benefit is a number of maps that can be used in the full mission builder. Not all people like flying over endless stretches of water with a few islands scattered in between. The FB/AEP contains everything from blistering desserts to wintry Finland.

To me, the real benefit is the type of historic campaigns possible with Eastern Front. Missions generally have a shorter flying distance, most fighting takes place below 10.000 ft, some right on the deck. With the Pacific, longer missions were the norm.

Bearcat99
01-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Installing PF as an add on to FB Aces GOLD (FB + AEP) does everything the above posters said..... plus I think you get to see more of the sim. You really cant appreciate the quality of the sim just from the PF perspective. You will have to fly the 109s and check out the manual prop pitch.... look for the rolling pencil in the bomber, see the massive mayhem that 8 .50s can do to a plane, find out just how impressive some of the Russian birds were. With the merged install you can get a simulated taste of biplane combat....... fly night missions in the snow...... run P-40 missions in the desert...... look at this a one 5CD sim rather than two 2 CD sims and an add on. It is more than worth the expense and if you like history and warbirds the expanded planeset almost makes it mandatory.

Texas LongHorn
01-05-2005, 03:30 PM
RSSS, while Bearcat summed it up pretty well, there is another option like I have done. I installed one version of PF as a standalone product. I then installed a merged version along with FBAces to give me everything in one package. With todays modern (and massive) hard drives the space involved is really not an issue. There is method to my madness too, the standalone PF runs better graphics on my ATI 9800 Pro video card. For some reason the merged install will not let me run in perfect mode. I still haven't figured out why, I just fire up whichever one I feel like at the time. All the best, LongHorn