PDA

View Full Version : Guard Break Counter

Runningwild0109
03-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Morning, afternoon, and evening to all wherever you may be.

I was curious to see what any of you might have to share in your experience with perfecting your guard break counters. What kind of learning curve you encountered, or perhaps re-mapping your controller or keyboard, anything of the sort.

I have been playing on and off since launch. I am not quite sure you could call it a consistent streak of playtime, but I have logged quite a few hours into For Honor over the past few years. That being said, guard break counter is one thing I just cannot seem to grasp. 90% of the time, if a guard break is performed against me, I scarcely have time to think about slapping the GB Button by the time the hit has already landed. It's undoubtedly the largest gap in my technique within this game.

Playing on an X-Box controller primarily, I had gotten to the point where I attempted a switch between the guard break and dodge buttons (X and A). I suppose my school of thought was that I seem to have my thumb resting over the A button much more often than the X as my default grip. I still utilize dodge quite a bit, so I was hoping that an added benefit of this change may be to familiarize myself with reaching over to the X button more often. I gave this a solid try, but when it came down to brass tacks with a seasoned player or even some level 3 BOTs, it still wasn't quite the ticket I was looking for.

By and by, I seem to have noticed that the learning curve in this game is very slow-to-warm and you just seem to grasp it one day, perhaps with a certain hero or with technique in general (please feel free to share your opinion otherwise). I feel relatively comfortable with almost all other aspects of the game, such as parrying, hard feinting, dodging, etc. Guard break and its counter just seem to be the last hurdle I have to jump before I can really start incorporating near-full potential out of a few of my favorite heroes.

Thoughts, opinions, and input are all welcome. Perhaps guard break is just working as it should and I am a poor candidate for anticipation and/or reaction time, but I am inclined to believe that is not the case. Your time is much appreciated.

Devils-_-legacy
03-02-2019, 03:59 PM
you can light when they gb and it will counter it

Runningwild0109
03-02-2019, 04:20 PM
A great point! I've had this work for me on occasion. I will definitely have to put more thought into the fact that this is an option.

I suppose the guard breaks that frustrate me the most would be the ones thrown into the midst of a combo, like Centurion's punching/slow jabbing occasionally interrupted by GB. Perhaps I've been so driven to master the actual GB interrupt that the light interrupt was thrown to the wayside of my mind.

Devils-_-legacy
03-02-2019, 04:33 PM
A great point! I've had this work for me on occasion. I will definitely have to put more thought into the fact that this is an option.

I suppose the guard breaks that frustrate me the most would be the ones thrown into the midst of a combo, like Centurion's punching/slow jabbing occasionally interrupted by GB. Perhaps I've been so driven to master the actual GB interrupt that the light interrupt was thrown to the wayside of my mind.

That's why a light is a good counter to cent shaman or Shug I follow up there soft feint with a light certain heros always seem to follow up there soft feints with a gb. if I was you I would try to take note on what they follow up there feints with and use that to counter them

EvoX.
03-02-2019, 05:03 PM
There's little sense in discussing this. Spend time on the game and you will CGB every single time that isn't guaranteed. It's pretty much impossible for this to not be the case, you're just not used to it yet and haven't built the muscle memory. It comes with time.

Runningwild0109
03-02-2019, 05:57 PM
There's little sense in discussing this. Spend time on the game and you will CGB every single time that isn't guaranteed. It's pretty much impossible for this to not be the case, you're just not used to it yet and haven't built the muscle memory. It comes with time.

I'd have to respectfully disagree that there is no sense in discussing this, I've always welcomed throwing around thoughts and found it to be extremely helpful. However, you are absolutely right in regards to muscle memory and play time. When you boil it down, that is undoubtedly what it comes to. Just looking for ideas or stuff to be brought up to the frontal lobe that I might be able to add to the cycle of repetition that will help with that muscle memory.

Tyrjo
03-02-2019, 06:40 PM
You can't light on reaction to the actual guard break. Lights have 100ms GB vulnerability. What you have seen is essentially your light hitting 100% guaranteed, as the other player gave up their own guard at attempting the GB. Your light hits. The GB bounces.

Solowing_96
03-04-2019, 08:50 AM
On PS4,
I changed the button mapping, from square to L1, it to make sure my finger is ready on GB button, and dogde button on the same time.

maybe this tips helps you.

Inzzane_79
03-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Im using a elite controller and my guardbreak and dogde buttons are on paddles on the back so I never have to take my right thump off the right stick