PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 3 system help

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey there,

I've ordered SH3 but am upgrading my computer as it's a bit weedy, i just wanted some advice to make sure everything is compatible with the game.

I'm getting a Sapphire Radeon 9800 and 1gig of RAM. Now the thing that worries me is my soundcard is a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX and was wondering if this is compatible with the game as i've read somewhere that the soundcard for the game needs to be DirectX 9 compatible, how do i know if mine is?

Looking forward to becoming a Kriegsmarinehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey there,

I've ordered SH3 but am upgrading my computer as it's a bit weedy, i just wanted some advice to make sure everything is compatible with the game.

I'm getting a Sapphire Radeon 9800 and 1gig of RAM. Now the thing that worries me is my soundcard is a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX and was wondering if this is compatible with the game as i've read somewhere that the soundcard for the game needs to be DirectX 9 compatible, how do i know if mine is?

Looking forward to becoming a Kriegsmarinehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zauker
05-31-2005, 12:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bitterblueben:
Hey there,

Looking forward to becoming a Kriegsmarinehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well i got a 4 years old integrated soundcard and it works... you should worry about ram and graphic card but yours match the recommended requirements and you shouldn't have problems.

Slingn
05-31-2005, 01:27 PM
integrated sound is not that good ( unless you've got soundstorm), but it does generally work. I have heard that in some games, you need to lower the sound acceleration from full to standard, or you can have some problems.

You can get an Audigy 2 for pretty cheap, so it€s not like you'll spend a tonn.

BTW, make sure that 9800pro is a 256bit( thats bit, not meg) model. the 128 bit card do not perform very well. Also, how much are you paying? If it€s around $200usd, you can get a better card in the 6600. I 'm an ati guy with a 9800 pro, so I€m not trying top fanboy you into nvidia. The 6600 is widely considered the best bang for buck now. If you are firmly settled on ati, look into an x800xl, its supposed to be a good card and will probably cost you about the same.

Again, the 9800 pro is great, I love mine, buts its getting little old and some of the new cards are both better(faster) and cheaper. so really check it out. Also, if you do go with the 9800pro, make for absolute certain, its not a 128bit version of the card. Again that's 128 "BIT" and is not a reference to the amount of memory on the card.

Good luck

Oh, and what are the rest of your specs? I ask because if you have an older system, a new card may be help back by a slower cpu. In which case, your upgade money may be better spent elseware.

Zauker
05-31-2005, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slingn:
integrated sound is not that good ( unless you've got soundstorm), but it does generally work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've something called soundmax but it works good and never had an audio compatibility problem with games/sims...lol i've not room for 5+1 surround audio!

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replys,

Well, this is the card i'm getting:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=123362

My processor is an Athlon XP1800+, which although my system tells me is 1.16 Ghz, i've been told it's closer to 1.5

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 01:58 PM
hmm, i assume by the 128 bit 9800 Pro you mean this one:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800-256-128.asp

?

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slingn:
Also, if you do go with the 9800pro, make for absolute certain, its not a 128bit version of the card. Again that's 128 "BIT" and is not a reference to the amount of memory on the card.

Good luck

QUOTE]

By 128 bit do you mean DDR memory? or 'per pixel floating point colour formats?

Thanks,

Ben.

Slingn
05-31-2005, 02:35 PM
its the memory interface

here, this explains a little
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16650

But I'm pretty sure that card you linked to is a 256 bit card, so you shouldn€t have to worry.

Your cpu is a tad on the slow side, and any of the new higher end cards will be bottlenecked by it. But, if you do upgrade, you may want a card that will move with you. For the price, (if my conversion is close) that 9800 is a decent deal, but i bet you can find one of the 6600's in that same price area. It may be worth looking into, I mean if you can get a better card for about the same price, why not eh?

You should go check out tomshardware, or anandtech and look at their reviews of cards. That will show you how they stack up against each other in various games.

Also, you might want to double check that your cpu is operating at its specified speed. It ( an xp1800) should run at 1.53 ghz with a 266 mhz fsb. Make sure your new ram runs at least that fast, and really, you should get at least pc3200 in case you do upgrade the cpu.

Good luck again

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bitterblueben:
My processor is an Athlon XP1800+, which although my system tells me is 1.16 Ghz, i've been told it's closer to 1.5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your Athlon is 1800+, than it is comparable to a Pentium running at 1.8Ghz. AMD squeezes more processing power in their CPU's than Intel does, at a lower 'speed'. For example, my overclocked Athlon 64 runs at about 2.6Ghz, but is identified as a 4100+. AMD merely brands their CPU's with names that are comparable to the competition, so as not to be mistaken as a weaker processor. It's nothing to worry about.

Slingn is right though, your processor should be operating at 1.53Ghz. The specs for the XP1800+ are as follows:
Model, FSB, Clock Speed, Multiplier/Bus Speed Settings
Athlon XP 1800+ 266MHz...... 1.53GHz ..... 11.5 x 133

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, i feel at home already and you've all been great to me.

Why does my system say 'Athlon XP1800+' 1.16Ghz? when it should be running at 1.5Gig? could it be i've only got 256MB of RAM at the moment?

Thanks,

Ben.

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slingn:

But I'm pretty sure that card you linked to is a 256 bit card, so you shouldn€t have to worry.

Good luck again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean this card:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=123362

This is the one i'm most probably getting as it suits my budget and is powerful enough for what i need at the moment, mainly SH3 and Half-Life 2.

But i'll certainly have a look at some rivals in the same price range just to compare performance and features.

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Why does my system say 'Athlon XP1800+' 1.16Ghz? when it should be running at 1.5Gig? could it be i've only got 256MB of RAM at the moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't think the amount of RAM has anything to do with it. If I were you, I would download and install the program CPU-Z (http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/CpuZ-Download-6980.html). It's a good program that will display your processor and RAM settings. If CPU-Z also indicates that your processor is running at 1.16Ghz, than you have a problem. You'll need to check your BIOS settings.

Supr
05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
it may be that the ram is only running at 200mhz. (actually 100mhz, which in DDR terms is 200) You can check it and if needed, adjust it in the bios if the ram is pc2100 or greater. If not, make sure your new ram is. You should get at least pc3200 as mentioned above.

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
His RAM speed should not be affecting the CPU speed. If anything, it would be the other way around. The CPU multiplier dictates the RAM divider to be used. Mind you, BIOS auto detect isn't always correct anyway...

Diggerless
05-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Simple maths here folks. My XP1800+ will run at 1.15 Ghz if I go into BIOS and change CPU FSB to 100 (multiplier @ 11.5), so you would need to change it to 133 or AUTO setting should pick it up too and give you 1.53Ghz or thereabouts

Supr
05-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry, its his FSB speed i'm talking about.

Oh, i see diggerless beat me to it, Yes, that is exactly what i thought. Thank you digger.

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diggerless:
Simple maths here folks. My XP1800+ will run at 1.15 Ghz if I go into BIOS and change CPU FSB to 100 (multiplier @ 11.5), so you would need to change it to 133 or AUTO setting should pick it up too and give you 1.53Ghz or thereabouts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InfectiousDust:
The specs for the XP1800+ are as follows:
Model, FSB, Clock Speed, Multiplier/Bus Speed Settings
Athlon XP 1800+ 266MHz...... 1.53GHz ..... 11.5 x 133
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I'm saying. Either his manual settings are incorrect, and need to be adjusted to the above stock values, or the BIOS is not properly detecting the values automatically. If that's the case, it's possible that the BIOS may need to be updated.

Supr
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
lol, ok, lets sum it up for you.

Because you say your xp1800 chip is running at 1160mhz, which coincidently is almost 11.5 X 100mhz, it is likely, that for one reason or another, your fsb is set to 100mhz in your bios. It needs to be properly set to 133mhz. but dl another system info utility just to be sure. If so, it sounds like you just got another 400+mhz that you never even knew you were missing.

Also, you said you are getting more ram. So remember, you'll have to go back into your bios and confirm the settings you want after you install it. Look at its specs and confirm all the timings as well. Odds are, the auto should pick it up, but as mentioned, you may need to update you bios.

Good luck, if you get another 400mhz in addition to the new vid card, and the ram, your world just got a lot better. Plus the new ram may allow you to oc that 1800 if you so desire, after all, if you€ve been running it under spec for all this time, maybe a little over-spec will balance it out. Don€t ya think
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
Remember though, if you mix your new RAM with your old RAM, than all of the sticks will run at the speed (timings and Memclock) as the slowest stick installed. It's never a good idea to mix RAM.

Again, run CPU-Z and see what it detects.

VF-17_Jolly
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Check the manual on your mobo if you can first
I built two new pc`s at the weekend and being overconfident i expected them to auto detect the fsb BUT they are set via jumpers on board and until i read this post i had them both set to 100mhz 1 is an amd xp1800+ and the other is an amd xp2000+ the manual bios settings on these are for overclocking only and must be set with the onboard jumpers so if you can check first
cheers guys i will be reading the manual closer in future http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Wow good call VF-17_Jolly! I forgot all about the oldskool manual jumpers. I haven't played with those since my 1.0Ghz P3. You might have just hit the nail on the head.

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm, downloaded the cpu z program(thanks infectious dust), and the core speed i get is 1160.3 mhz, which isn't good i'm guessing.

How do i go into BIOS settings to change the speed then?

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Hmm, downloaded the cpu z program(thanks infectious dust), and the core speed i get is 1160.3 mhz, which isn't good i'm guessing.

How do i go into BIOS settings to change the speed then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. So it's not just a simple error then. Read what VF-17_Jolly said though, he might have just solved your problem.

Supr
05-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Boy no kidding, when was the last time you set jumpers? lol. But yes, that€s a great point..

If its done in bios, you usually get there by hitting del while its booting, or look for a message to enter set up when its booting.

Is this an OEM system? It would be odd that its not set right. Did you upgrade the cpu? If this is a OEM system, you may not even have access to those options. Maybe you should go ahead post your complete specs.

Try posting a dxdiag dump (hit start, run, type dxdiag, save that info and paste it here), Plus, look at your PSU, what are its specs? That 9800, and extra ram will need more power.

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Well, i changed the settings in the BIOS screen and my system now says 1.53 Ghz, but isn't this known as 'overclocking' which is a bit on the dangerous side?

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 05:00 PM
My PSU is 350 Watts, which is ok for a 9800Pro i think, i've also changed my clock speed back to 1.16Ghz as i seriously don't want my system to start smoking!

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, i changed the settings in the BIOS screen and my system now says 1.53 Ghz, but isn't this known as 'overclocking' which is a bit on the dangerous side? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meh, it's only dangerous if you really do something stupid. Like I said earlier, my Athlon 64 3500+ is overclocked to 4100+. With a little bit of added cooling, it's no problem. But if your processor is meant to run at 1.53Ghz (which it is), you have nothing to worry about. As long as your CPU is running at the stock values that I indicated earlier, you shouldn't have a problem. And if you are able to boot up without any problems, and your system temps haven't increased too much, your system will not start 'smoking'!

I'd still check those jumpers though if I were you...

Supr
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
its only "over" clocking if you go over the clock speed. If its an 1800, 1.53 is the clock speed.

Now, if you want it to say, 1.8 or 1.9, now then, you'll be OC'n. I'm sure we can help you with that too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But for now, try to find a program called motherboard monitor 5, or similar. If your mobo is supported, it will monitor your temps and voltages. That will help make sure your psu is also working well.

oh, and lol, if your system starts smoking, its already too late.

bitterblueben
05-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've reset the system to 1.16Ghz and i've downloaded the Motherboard 5 utility(thanks supr).

Here are my temperature settings currently:
Case 33*C, CPU Diode 48*C, and finally CPU Socket 49*C.

I hope these sound about right, what temperatures should i start to get worried about?

60*C? or 70*C?

I'll try rebooting my PC at 1.5Ghz and see what temperatures i get then, just to be on the safe side. I might need extra cooling or something i reckon though.

InfectiousDust
05-31-2005, 06:25 PM
You shouldn't need any extra cooling. You're only clocking your CPU to what it should be at, factory settings.

*Check those jumpers, I'm betting money that's your problem*

Diggerless
05-31-2005, 07:11 PM
...are we there yet?...hehe... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

bitterblueben
06-01-2005, 12:35 AM
What are 'Jumpers'?

And why do i need to check/fiddle with them?

Going ahead now with ordering My 9800Pro and 1Gig of RAM(2x Corsair 512MB DDR PC3200 non EEC) so i should be Silent Hunting in no time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Supr
06-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Jumpers are physical switches on the motherboard. Once upon a time, that was how you made some of the changes we've been discussing. Some mobos still have them(well most do, but not for the reasons we're talking about), most of the newer/better units make the type of changes we're concerned about in the bios.

If you made the changes in bios, and the system reboots without any of the settings you changed reverting back, odds are you don€t need to worry about it. BTW, what model mobo do you have? Maybe someone will check for you.

Also, just a note about your temps, 60C is generally considered the upper limits of safe temps. AMD chips are rated quite a bit higher, but its just a good line in the sand to work with. Some guys start to feak when their temps get up over 50, but 54 or 55 is not too bad under max load.

Its good maintenance to keep some compressed air and blow out your heat sinks and fans to clean out any dust build up. Dust is your enemy. It can cause your system to run hotter. Obviously, make sure your system is off before doing this, and be very careful.

If your case does not have a couple fans to pull air in and push it out. Its a cheap fix to get your temps down a couple degrees. You said your case temp was 33C, unless your room is pretty hot, a couple, or even one case fans may help lower that a little.

Also, your voltages, you didn't post them, but a 5% variance from spec is the most you want to see. Leave MM5 running and check the hi/low in settings after gaming. so if your 3.3 drops below 3.13, or your 12 goes below 11.4, you may have some lock ups or crashes. Even though you have a 350 watt supply, alot depends on its quality. Not all PSUs are created equal. Make sure you check this after you add your new parts.

Good luck man. It€s good to see someone asking for help, rather than just complaining that their system doesn€t work like they think it should.

bitterblueben
06-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks Supr http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif,

My Mobo is an ASUS A7V333.

Man, this place sure is helpful, thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to help me out.

I really appreciate it.

Ben.

InfectiousDust
06-01-2005, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supr:
Dust is your enemy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He/it sure is! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

My machine doesn't go over 54 Celcius. If it did, I would not be too pleased.

bitterblueben, take some time to become aquainted with your mobo's manual. There are a lot of good things in there that you would benefit from knowing.

VF-17_Jolly
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I have a feeling you are wasting your time with this mobo and a 9800 because the board only supports 4x agp having said that the 9800 will work ok on that board

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/asus/a7v333/a7v333p1.htm#
http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7v333/2.shtml
I had an Epox board pretty much identical to this
If your going for the better graphics card it will be worth upgrading your mobo and cpu
Also i would be carefull putting pc3200/ddr400 in this board as i don`t think it would handle it

OgreB
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
The ATI Radeon 256 pro XT is a good card...make sure it's the XT..

I can play all games on the market with no problems..including D3..HL2..even UR4...even Halo runs good

InfectiousDust
06-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Here's the info on the motherboard (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v333-x/overview.htm).

The Asus A7V333 only supports DDR PC2700 RAM. Purchasing anything higher would be a waste of cash. VF-17_Jolly is right, the board also only supports 4x AGP. As a comparison, my old Geforce 3 graphics card supported 4x. You won't get too much performance out of that Radeon 9800. This is something worth considering.

bitterblueben
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Hmm, that's bad news, what does my board being only 4XAGP compared to 8 really mean in performance terms if i get a 9800 Pro?

A new mobo is not really an option so i guess i'm stuck with this one for the short term at least.

I've got my copy of SH3 now and am just waiting for the weekend when i can get the parts and have them fitted.

I can still play SH3 ok with my specs and a 9800 Pro and 1g of RAM right?

Thanks,

Ben.

bitterblueben
06-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Right, looks like i may have to upgrade my board as well, what board will work with my Athlon 1800+ CPU and will take PC3200 DDR400 memory and is at the budget end of the market?

What type of socket is my processor as well?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,

Ben.

Supr
06-02-2005, 12:03 PM
I don€t think there really is much difference between 4X and 8X agp. There is some, but I doubt you would notice much with your system.

If you are looking for a new mobo, most enthusiastic consider the abit nf7-s to be one of, if not the tops for that platform. Do make sure you look for a nf7-s v2 board, as they have come out with some updated versions, and a newer board to replace it. Many say those are not quite good as the nf7-s version2, although it€s possible they have matured some by now. Also, the board is very OC friendly if you chose to overclock.

One issue though, that board does like good parts, especially good clean power. Often cheap or generic power supplys do not work well.

They also have a knowledgeable and helpful forum€¦ http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=0f7c814b43...7be5bcd37&forumid=26 (http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=0f7c814b43d2709eff142a47be5bcd3 7&amp;forumid=26)

You can go check out some of the issues and see what their current thoughts on as to which board is best for you. If you do get a new board, it will be a great help in getting it all set up and running properly.

Good luck

bitterblueben
06-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Just one last thing, If i upgrade virtually everything except the processor(my Athlon 1800+), icluding the following:

Radeon 9800 Pro
8xAGP motherboard(What does 1.5v/0.8v signify?) w/ 2 x 512MB RAM DDR400 PC3200 sticks(1gig)
16x DVD ROM drive

With these specs would i be able to run SH3 at an acceptable level?, as i can probably stretch to a new motherboard but the processor will have to wait a while.

Thanks,

Ben.

Supr
06-02-2005, 12:52 PM
It€s the agp voltages
http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

Oh, and the more i think about it, i wouldn't recommend you get a new mobo unless you broke your current one. Try the new parts on it, it should run shIII fine, and then wait for a deal on a 64bit chip/ mobo combo. I don€t know what you can get over there, but here in America, I see 64bit combos for less than $200USD. It may not be the best mobo, but buying a cheap mobo for the platform you have now, would not be much of an upgrade, even with 8Xagp, and it also would limit you in the future.

VF-17_Jolly
06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
I would say a good choice is the GA-7VT600P-RZ
gigabyte (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1597)
I am building a "budget" system and at 32 it was a bargin.
I am using a Sempron 2600+ but it would be quite happy with an Athlonxp1800+ as it is fully compatible with the older models. it takes upto 3gb of pc3200 and is of course it has 8x AGP

bitterblueben
06-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replys,

You guys sure are helpful,

Anyway, i've decided that the motherboard and new processor can wait for the meantime, if i get the 9800Pro(a quantum leap in upgrade terms from the card i have now, a Riva TNT2 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) 1Gig of RAM and of course a DVD-ROM drive then i at least meet the minimum requirements and should be able to get the game up and running.
Thanks for the mobo recommendations, i'll look into them.

Just one last question before i sign off. Can i use PC3200 memory on my mobo or not?, someone i spoke to said i can't access those speeds with the memory, but it will still work? i think my board will only take up to PC2700 memory if my memory serves me correct.

Thanks again for all your help, i should be up and running with the game in afew days so i'll let you all know what i think of it. I hope it's worth it!