PDA

View Full Version : Melee Executions / Stealth kills

Raghast666
02-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Hello everyone :)

As a topic is already made for adding melee weapons to the game ( that i entirely support ^^ ) , i would like to add this one, for special moves with melee weapons, in case the would be added (or not.)

If there won't be any type of melee weapon in game, there could simply be a simple system to take down the ennemies from behind, with a combat knife or bare hands.

Instead of just killing the ennemies with a gun with suppressor ( that i think, would be repetitive too fast ) , melee stealthkills could be a funny way to eliminate the targets quietly without being repetitive, too fast, as there would be different animations.

I think some people could be attracted by a similar system, if they already played some games like Ghost Recon, AC etc

Thank you for reading ! :)

Ubi-RealDude
02-24-2019, 03:39 AM
How might melee executions impact the gameplay experience and your personal playstyle?

Millenium_Exile
02-24-2019, 05:48 AM
I like the idea of stealth takedowns.
But i feel it should have limits.
Maybe only one npc before your noticed this would make you think about who your going to try and take down.
( go for the purple health npc instead of one of the reds)
I feel the game would benefit from a little stealth play in the LZ as it was all ready tho inadvertently done in the dz.
But not so much that you can do everything like a ninja.

MerriIl
02-24-2019, 09:10 AM
How might melee executions impact the gameplay experience and your personal playstyle?

The ability to initiate a melee kill could be regulated to a very specific time frame in a gun battle. For example you could confine it to only working if an NPC or player's armor is completely depleted and you could set a 2-second time limit after the armor plate breaks that leaves a player vulnerable to a melee kill. The animation could be something like the Hunger's melee kill animations in TD1.

As far as what that could potentially add to the experience? Mainly just building immersion as well as giving us the chance to look even more like a complete badass in the field.

Raghast666
02-24-2019, 11:24 AM

They could impact the gameplay in different ways, i think.

Before all, i am a stealthy and sneaky player. I always go behind the lines and the ennemies, to take them by surprise. The stealthkills could add a new option and a new way to play stealthy in game. Instead of the traditionnal " suppressor gun gameplay" that makes the infiltrations ( i think ) a bit boring and repetitive too fast. Of course, the animations of the stealthkills should have to follow the goal. Smashing the head of the ennemy with the stock of the weapon or slaughtering him with the knife without preventing him to scream can break the immersion and the realism of the situation. If it is well done, it can be really immersive and fun to do, without being tired of it after the first infiltration. I would like to insist a bit of the "stealthy" side , of the animation. Throwing ennemies from windows,or smashing them would really have to be for the combat executions.

This is a image of my representation of the "perfect" stealthkills animations : https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JzzOYRn78u4/maxresdefault.jpg ( It is from the game : splinter cell. )

For melee executions in close combat, if would makes the fight more dynamic : When running out of ammo or just reloading, while an ennemy is just in front of you, you could just jump on his face and stab him. Instead of waiting in front of him. I really think it could diversify the gameplay in a very positive way, for people who likes playing melee, or just if they appreciate the possibility the game offers.

A very optional thing i would add is, multiple melee weapons : Machete, knife etc But if we equip the machete, we cannot make stealthkills, if we equip the knife, combat executions would be harder to perform, because of the low damages.

For the armoured ennemies, i think the machete or heavier weapons only, could do damages to them. :)

Millenium_Exile
02-25-2019, 03:17 AM
I would think the heavys should be something we can't use them on for the sake of gameplay if nothing else. other wise you would just take away the important conflict element to easily.

Ubi-RealDude
02-25-2019, 03:40 AM
For melee executions in close combat, if would makes the fight more dynamic : When running out of ammo or just reloading, while an ennemy is just in front of you, you could just jump on his face and stab him. Instead of waiting in front of him. I really think it could diversify the gameplay in a very positive way, for people who likes playing melee, or just if they appreciate the possibility the game offers.

How might such sudden, and I would assume extremely effective, methods of handling rusher-type enemies impact the threat those enemies pose? Do they become inconsequential by being quickly defeated without using any ammo?

Could tactics turn from keeping a safe, defensible distance into rush the enemy for as much one-shots as possible?

Would you be prepared for others to do the same to you?

Imm0rtalJoker
02-25-2019, 04:00 AM
As much as I would love to do stealth kills I don't know how it would work in the Division. Suppressors were suppose to mask the sounds of your shots so the enemy won't know where it came from so that should be a stealth kill but it's like the AI has super hearing and knows where the shot came from.

Millenium_Exile
02-25-2019, 04:44 AM
Yes the npc's are definitely overly aware.

As to the issue with the rushers executions should only work on red, purple enemies of low health like less then a quarter health.

Raghast666
02-25-2019, 02:09 PM
How might such sudden, and I would assume extremely effective, methods of handling rusher-type enemies impact the threat those enemies pose? Do they become inconsequential by being quickly defeated without using any ammo?

Could tactics turn from keeping a safe, defensible distance into rush the enemy for as much one-shots as possible?

Would you be prepared for others to do the same to you?

About the ennemies using melee, to fight them you would have to equip the melee weapon, i suggest a unsheathing animation, so it takes time to respond to the attack. If we attack with a knife, as i suggested before, the damages would be really inferior compared to the ennemy using a machete, for exemple. So they wouldn't be defeated too easilly, on the contrary. If the player uses a machete, as the weapon is bigger, it could replace a secondary weapon or something like that, so the player would have to make a choice : melee or distance. If using a big melee weapon, the damages are increased, but the attack speed is slow. The ennemies could get the possibility to dodge or block the attacks, maybe ?

I would say that, if the player is "rushing type " with melee weapons , ( if it's what you mean ), he/she would be vulnerable to the ennemies using firearms. Melee combat should be used in some situation but not every situation. More precisely, if there is a quite long distance between the ennemies and the player, a rush with a machete would makes the player dying under the fire before he reaches them. I think it should be used when there is a really short distance or a lof of cover / obstacles, so the player could use them to reach the ennemies more or less alive.

And for your last question, i suppose you are talking about pvp, right ? Personally, the answer is "yes". It doesn't bothers me at all, i even think it might be awesome to have pvp melee fights. ^^ But that is all me, of course. Even stealthkill in pvp would be awesome i think ^^

If i misunderstood one of your question, don't hesitate to ask me twice ^^

Raghast666
02-25-2019, 02:11 PM
As much as I would love to do stealth kills I don't know how it would work in the Division. Suppressors were suppose to mask the sounds of your shots so the enemy won't know where it came from so that should be a stealth kill but it's like the AI has super hearing and knows where the shot came from.

Maybe that could be reworked to fit with the Stealhkills ? :)

Mauser5826
02-25-2019, 04:23 PM

I agree suppressors should allow a stealthier kill and not somehow identify your position straight away there is a point in DV 1 where the enemy do continue to fire at the point you were last at which is good but you are quickly spotted again once you pop your head up I think the trouble with Silent kills is most of the enemy are too close to each other and we all know how accurate the AI shots are every one seems to land even when your zig zagging like mad not to mention the shot gunners are like snippers. I think it would take a lot of work to make this happen in the proper way that people are mentioning here. I think silence pistol shots at close range might work at least you could still be in some kind of cover but you have to be quite close to the enemy so there is still risk.

Raghast666
02-26-2019, 09:33 AM
I agree suppressors should allow a stealthier kill and not somehow identify your position straight away there is a point in DV 1 where the enemy do continue to fire at the point you were last at which is good but you are quickly spotted again once you pop your head up I think the trouble with Silent kills is most of the enemy are too close to each other and we all know how accurate the AI shots are every one seems to land even when your zig zagging like mad not to mention the shot gunners are like snippers. I think it would take a lot of work to make this happen in the proper way that people are mentioning here. I think silence pistol shots at close range might work at least you could still be in some kind of cover but you have to be quite close to the enemy so there is still risk.

I will insist a little bit on that but i think the suppressors make the game repetitive to death while infiltrating. xD It even make it funnier to attack than infiltrating, if we can only use that way.

The animations of the killmove would have to be silent, so the generated noise would be really low. As the ennemies cannot see in their back, of course the player would have to sneak behind the lines. If they are really packed, let's wait for them to split a little bit, if they don't , well then, attack or find another way :)

Good thing that the ennemies aim well, it makes it funnier :) Not too much, otherwise it is unplayable, of course. Look at Ghost recon Wildlands, i made almost all the missions i did with a mix of stealth kills and suppressor shots and i think it is possible to make it here, even if the two games are completly different.

I agree with you when you say it would be some work, to make it happens, but that works for everything, i think. So why not this ? :) It is totally worths it , i think :D

If the game starts to be too hard, maybe, when switching the difficulty level would tweaks the AI spotting distance and noise attraction too?

Millenium_Exile
02-27-2019, 07:58 AM
It would be cool to coordinate your attack with your friends in the LZ and missions to stealth head shot a group of enemies to thin them out before a hell breaks loose.

taiiat
02-27-2019, 01:14 PM
myself, i see more opportunity in either the aforementioned suggestion of being able to Execute a singular Enemy with the Enemies around becoming alerted just like if you sniped one Enemy when they were unaware.
it would be a lot riskier in general as well, since you'd have to sneak between the Enemies to get to the one Enemy that you want to remove quickly before the fight starts.
i imagine it wouldn't work on Bosses, named Enemies, or special Elites. but it should work on any 'generic' Enemy regardless of what Type they are.

or if not that - possibly being able to finish off Enemies that are weakened. this would definitely require to have depleted the Armor of an Enemy, and i would also expect this to not work on Bosses or named Enemies.

Millenium_Exile
02-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Exactly