PDA

View Full Version : Crash on launch. Suspected AVX library or other AMD Phenom II CPU support issue

Reaper392
02-23-2019, 03:40 PM
The title crashes on boot. All that is displayed before the crash occurs is a black screen.

Reproduction rate: 5/5

Support ticket number: 08119975

I suspect this is due to the title not running correctly on a CPU that does not support AVX or SSE4.1 libraries, but I cannot be certain as I have not been able to find the crash dumps on my PC (I have sent them to you via the automated reporter), hence making a new thread.

My computer specifications are (full specifications available in DxDiag and MSInfo):
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 (4 CPUs, running at stock 3.2Ghz)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (running at the speed it was sold at, I can't remember what that is off the top of my head)
- Driver version 419.17 (latest)
- 16GB RAM (DDR3, 1600Mhz)
- Windows 7 Professional
- 1920 x 1080 monitor running at 120Hz

So far I have tried the following:
- Clean reinstall of latest drivers
- Reinstall DirectX (I believe i have tried this, after reinstalling the drivers the launcher redownlaoded and reinstalled DirectX)
- Closing all background applications before launching

Reproduction Steps:
1. Launch the title on a PC with a CPU which does not support AVX or SSE4.1 libraries
2. Observe that a black screen is displayed and the title crashes shortly afterwards.

Further information:
There were similar issues occurring for The Crew 2 Open Beta, which I believe were resolved by disabling the replay system for users with CPUs not supporting those libraries.

Out of AVX and SSE4.1, the AVX libraries are most likely to be the cause of the issues, but both are equally important to support alternatives to because neither are supported by the AMD Phenom II CPU range, which are still used by a large number of people.
In fact as recently as January 2019, 15% of all Steam users were using CPUs which did not support these libraries, with SSE3 being the most recent library supported by all users (see "other settings" section): https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

List of CPUs which do not support AVX or SSE4.1:
- All AMD Phenom II series processors and all earlier models

List of CPUs which do not support AVX:
- All Intel Nehalem or Westmere series processors and all earlier models
These processors will either be Intel "i" series processors with only three digits (e.g. Intel i7 960) or Intel "core 2" series processors (e.g. Intel core 2 quad q9650)

Ubi-Swaggins
02-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Hey Reaper392,

Thank you for your report.

This has been forwarded to the team and is being looked into.

Cheers