PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Stefan's Response/Please Bring Back Minion-Killing Animations

MrSupahDood
02-22-2019, 06:16 AM
I know I covered this in the AMA recap almost a full week ago, but I feel the absolute need to bring it up again.

The way Stefan responded to the question about minion-killing animations and if they will ever come back or not is unacceptable. They have been using this same exact response every single time someone brings them up and says that they want them back, ever since the minion-killing animations were taken away from us last year in October. We already know why they were removed in the first place. We've been told and retold far more times than I care to count and we don't need to hear it anymore. We want to know what their thoughts and plans for the minion-killing animations are now; not then. Stefan's answer does not tell us if the minion-killing animations are ever going to come back or if they're gone forever.

As I've stated before, if they're never coming back no matter what, then the devs are making a very bad decision. The minion-killing animations were one of the greatest, most fun things in all of For Honor. The following is a quote from myself in another person's forum having to do with the minion-killing animations and why they're so great titled "Bring Back Minion Kill Animations" by TrustedKing17: "The minion-killing animations always scratched the Action-genre itch I always got whenever I played For Honor, since I am a HUGE fan of Action games. Whenever I got bored or frustrated with the multiplayer modes (I'm a Single Player & Co-op person; I HATE PvP and also hate fighting against other players), [the minion-killing animations provided a good break from fighting against bots]. To quote myself from another thread titled "For Honor 2," the minion-killing animations "felt very empowering, like these were actual, elite warriors with years of training that have many different ways of killing lesser enemies that go far beyond novice-level slashes, stabs and bashes." The animations also added a good amount of personality to the heroes, further showing that no 2 heroes fought the same way. Without the minion-killing animations, all we have is the Fighting Game aspects and for people like me, Fighting Games get stale and uninteresting, very fast."

When I first saw For Honor at E3 2016, I couldn't help but be completely amazed by everything the game had to offer. The part that had me the most interested and ultimately made me decide to pre-order the game was the minion-killing animations. Whenever I went into the original "Practice" mode, I would just slay minions left and right as they'd endlessly appear, just because of how fun they were, at least for the characters that have more than just 2 strikes per combo. As of right now, For Honor is missing an enormous part of its fun-factor and the game is not fun anymore. I recently gave Breach a chance by playing a custom match for a few minutes and to be completely honest, I absolutely HATE what was done to the minions. Killing them with such basic slashes, stabs, bashes and whatever other attacks I may be leaving out that should be expected of a PS2 gen. game is nothing else other than two things: unsatisfying and completely boring. The fact that they can disrupt peoples' executions and can pretty easily take down players when they're too busy fighting enemy heroes is just as infuriating. If this is how "minions" are going to be in Breach, end of story, then I won't let this one mode bug me. Having them back either in all other modes or some new mode where we can use them to our hearts' content in a way that makes sense to the overarching theme of "War" in For Honor will do just fine. And don't bring up "uniformity" and how "important" it is. We do not care about "uniformity" when it comes to these unique animations.

As I've stated in another forum titled "Minion kill animation yes/no," "The game is painfully monotonous enough already with how every single fight is so repetitive and heavy on the Fighting Game mechanics, it feels like a multiplayer version of Soul Caliber or Injustice, but with less impactful lore and story to it; For Honor's current multiplayer modes are very repetitive and get very old after a while for those of us who don't like PVP and only play casually. It's all of this sameness, lack of meaningful variety in game modes for noncompetitive players, and the lack of content that would make this feel more like an actual war that each player is supposed to be part of that played a huge part in making me decide to stop playing all together, with what happened to the minion animations being the straw that broke the camel's back for me." The only reason I came back for a little bit was to unlock the Black Prior for myself, along with being able to see some of the different kinds of armor and weapons this hero has. I'm with the Knight faction and I've been wanting a sword & shield character for the Knights ever since the game launched back on Valentines Day, 2017. Now that I've got him, at this point in time, I don't see any reason for me to come back. Even though the Story mode still has the animations for some of the characters, that mode is very shallow and gets uninteresting fairly quickly after several playthroughs.

I want to come back to For Honor. I really do. It has so much potential and could definitely become one of the absolute greatest games of all time on current gen. consoles if it were to have the right stuff. However, it's just not fun anymore with its now far-too-heavy Fighting Game and PvP competition aspects, along with the removal of minion-killing animations. I'm not the only one that's upset at their removal. There are a lot of other forums and responses to said forums with just about everyone saying that they want those animations to come back and some of the people posting, myself included, are asking for them to be improved and expanded upon. Bringing them back in a fresh, new way that is fun and exciting would be absolutely wonderful and I'd love for that to happen.

All it would take for me (and probably a lot of other people) to stop telling the devs to bring minion-killing animations back is for them to publicly acknowledge that a lot of people miss them and want them back (Preferably done during a Warriors Den and NOT spending only a few seconds on this; it needs at least 5 - 10 minutes of their time); from there, they would also need to tell us what their plans are for the minion-killing animations in the game's future. If they do this and are crystal clear without leaving any room for confusion at all, then I will stop telling them to bring them back. I don't know about other people, but I will stop telling them to, at the very least. If they themselves say from their own mouths, in person, that they will never bring them back in any way, shape or form, that means I'm through with For Honor. As much as I want to come back, I refuse to play anything that I don't find fun.

MrSupahDood
02-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Just to reiterate for clarity on one of my points, the minion-killing animations should not be brought back exactly as they were before; they need to be reimplemented in a new way that is both fun and exciting. These are the ideas that I came up with in the forum "Bring Back Minion Kill animations" by TrustedKing17:

1. "The animations should also be either instantly cancellable (I know it's not a word, but you know what I mean) when locking on to an enemy hero, or give the player either invincibility or very high-level resistance until the animation the player is currently in is over with." "This is so that enemy players/bots cannot take unfair advantage over players that are in the middle of minion-killing animations."

2. "It would be great for when out-of-lock, there are much, much more animations than what we had before for all of the heroes (including the Wu Lin and this year's new warriors) for clearing waves of minions/soldiers. This should settle peoples' complaints about how some heroes are better at clearing minions than others pretty easily, so long as their minion/soldier kill-streak potentials are all long, equal, and very satisfying with that special flare and amazing spectical-providing goodness that these animations always provided. It would also be pretty cool to see the heroes be able to execute multiple minions at once, such as what can be seen in some of the trailers and in-game scenes."

3. "I would like for the minion-killing chains themselves to be no less than 7 hits total in length and as high as 20 at theabsolute most for the characters who don't have infinite chains. Those who have infinite chains, such as the Conqueror, Berserker, and Aramusha, will maintain their infinite chain status. The chains for the finite heroes should not use the same animations more than once, such as what was done with the Warlord and many the minion-killing animations he had. To quote myself again for how these chains would affect enemy players, "these long chains would only be used when not locked on and only when fighting against minions; their damage output would be either very weak or useless against heroes, in order to ensure some level of fairness.""

4. "This is also just me, but it would be pretty awesome to see For Honor do something similar to what Ryse: Son of Rome does with its own executions, particularly against 2 or more minions, or maybe even captains when facing 2 or more. Of course, For Honor would be providing its own spin on it. This could also work in Siege Mode as well: when you bring a minion's health down to a certain level, there would be a prompt above the minion's head allowing for the player to do an execution against that minion. If you have multiple minions with the same overhead prompt above their heads and they're all within a specific distance to the player, all 2, 3, or maybe even more can be executed at once! Just thinking about such a thing gets me really excited! I don't know if I'm allowed to provide links to YouTube compilations of Ryse: Son of Rome's executions, so I won't risk it. They are on YouTube, though; you just need to use the "Search" bar to find them."

4a. "Also, the executions cannot be the same for all heroes if this actually happened. Each individual hero would need to have their own unique executions that would match their unique fighting styles. That also goes for the Black Prior & Warlord, along with the Highlander & Warden."

UbiInsulin
02-24-2019, 12:38 AM
Quoting the AMA response for context:

Will the minion kill animations ever be returning?
[Stefan] These were removed because Pikemen take multiple hits and the animations generally would slow down most Heroes in the lane (Shaman or Highlander for example). Unifying locked and out of lock attack timings was an important facet of this decision as well.

I don't have any more information for you than what a dev was able to provide directly in an AMA, but the team is well-aware that these are missed. It's probably been the main non-balance-related topic that I've highlighted in my reports.

We haven't said anything after removing from the game that has indicated that it was a temporary measure. The animations were removed deliberately for the reasons that we've described in the AMA, on Warrior's Den at one point (I'm fairly sure, it's been a minute), and in the Marching Fire patch notes (https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/152-336363-16/patch-2010). That doesn't mean that I don't continue to pass on everybody's feedback on the animations.

RazireKVD
02-25-2019, 02:34 AM
Ah, the quest to bring back the minion kills. I started a forum thread about this myself back when Marching Fire released, and have commented on every other thread of the same subject I can find.

It's sad that they took away the animations, and while yes, we do have an official response on why they were gone, I don't think I'll ever fully accept it.
I've said my reasons in full detail plenty of times, so I'll just go ahead and say the simplified version with how it was stupid to remove the minion killing animations. They set a meta for who is a minion killer and who should focus on heroes and zones, and they provided personality and an extra flare of quality to the game. But with the loss of minion kills and Dominion end cutscenes, I suppose personality and flare is something the devs would like removed or minimized. (Signatures don't count, since they are mood-breakingly cringy, and honestly make me even saltier about a bad loss.)
Plus, WOW did bodycount become nigh useless to all but the Aramusha.

Hopefully the devs decide to do something and bring them back in a future season. (Hopefully one this year). Hell, give us an on/off switch so that way everyone can be happy. The fact we don't have a new official response that acknowledges the want for them to return is insane, especially since we get the same response time and time again. I know mods can't give any extra info, so I'm not gonna put anything on them with how all they can say is the same thing, but many are tired of that same response.
But for now, all we can do is keep the topic going on the forums, and let the mods keep reporting it back. Hopefully something will come of it soon.

Ubi-Jimothy
02-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Just to put this topic to rest; after speaking with Stefan and the team, the minion killing animations will definitely not be returning to the game. We're all ears if you have any ideas on how to improve upon the current system, but the original iteration will not be making a return.

Sorry!

RealJayDee1984
02-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Just to put this topic to rest
I don't really think that is possible, sorry. It was a popular feature, it worked well, and despite everything we've heard it still feels like it was removed for no good reason.

I'm not sure how to "improve upon the current system", because the "current system" really mostly feels like the (temporary?) absence of the original system. What we have now is overall functional, no doubt, and if it had never been different it'd probably be fine.

But as it is it simply feels like a clunky, unelegant, less atmospheric placeholder for what was there before. And I don't think that's ever going to change.

MrSupahDood
02-27-2019, 06:19 AM
Just to put this topic to rest; after speaking with Stefan and the team, the minion killing animations will definitely not be returning to the game. We're all ears if you have any ideas on how to improve upon the current system, but the original iteration will not be making a return.

Sorry!

Words can't even begin to describe how upset I am to hear this. One of the most fun and interesting things in all of For Honor: gone for some of the worst "reasons" I've ever heard (in this case, read) in my whole life. Every time I read the patch notes, it just makes my blood boil. Mindlessly clearing minions like in some Dynasty Warriors game just for the sake of speed in clearing them out for points is not fun. With the way Dominion and Skirmish are currently, the minions might as well not even be there due to how unsatisfying it is to fight them now.

The system as is, as I've already said, is not fun at all anymore. Multiplayer feels like an absolute chore, especially for noncompetitive players like myself. Fighting against bots is only fun for about 10 minutes and then declines rapidly without other gameplay mechanics to make it more interesting. Modifiers like in Arcade Mode don't count; those are not interesting in the slightest. The same can be said for Arcade Mode and their so-called "quests." For Honor has become far too reliant on its PvP and Fighting Game aspects and that is not okay.

In terms of improvements, all I can say is that strengthening the Action genre part of For Honor and adding in more Action genre elements would be the best way to go: special finishers & counters (kind of like in the Batman: Arkham franchise, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor & War and Assassin's Creed I - IV) to use against minions would be a good start in the right direction to bring back the fun factor. Finishers to use against Captains would be pretty cool as well. I also have an idea for a completely different mode with a Single Player & Co-op focus that could benefit the Faction War greatly, which could definitely utilize the Action genre stuff I just mentioned and then some.

I'm currently playing Watchmen: the End is Nigh and despite how it's episodic with only 2 parts to it, along with being a somewhat repetitive Beat-'em-Up-style game, I'm honestly having a lot more fun with that than I'm having with For Honor in its current state. Until For Honor becomes fun again, assuming it ever does, I'm putting it away on my shelf and focusing my time and energy on other games.

Baron-07
02-27-2019, 01:37 PM
My solution just make the pikemen in breach die in one hit and have them do extra damage to compensate for the lack of two hits(dying in two hits).....Afterall this is the reason stated why you got rid of the animations in the first place, or is it that it was too time consuming to add in Wu Lin animations for killing minions.

Honestly boo for taking away animations and a double boo for the new gear system.

To add, I like the breach mode but getting a game in breach is becoming a tiresome affair. I'm literally waiting longer to find a match than the time it takes to finish a round of breach, so what does that tell you? Breach is going the same way as elimination, skirmish and tribute. Should have just kept the animations afterall seeing as all but dominion and duel are failing.

Kryltic
02-27-2019, 01:53 PM
The animations were pointless for about half the cast. Either they were so slow that some characters would use any other attack to avoid those animations, or they had infinite chains they could use by locking on and would use those instead.

For those who took a long time to clear minions, why would you bother playing them in breach if it takes way longer to simply clear an objective? That automatically removes some characters from playing. You could end up dying for simply trying to clear out a few minions on full health.

As for dropping the health and adding more attack? That makes the slower characters even worse at breach. Thats a terrible idea.

Breach is slowing down due to only 3 maps, poor commander AI and the fact a bad team leaves you stuck in an awful game mode for 30min rather than 5-10 when compared to Dominion.

Tribite is a poor game mode because it lacks any form of healing and punishes you for winning.

Elimination is dead because its paired up with Skirmish.

Skirmish is dead because its just a poor game mode in general. It needs more substance to it to make it worth while. I could go on for ages about how to improve this mode.

Vakris_One
02-27-2019, 01:56 PM

Sorry!
Well that's a shame considering this change was entirely superflous. We could already use locked on attack chains on minions if we wanted to. It really doesn't add anything to the game while taking away 2 things: player choice and a part of the game's identity.

And there seems to be more demand for reverting this change than there is for keeping it from the people that most care about this feature. Oh well. Thanks for finally getting an answer to this.

GeneraISoIo
02-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Sorry!

That's pretty lame. BRING BACK MINION KILLS! I will always state this, forever!

Real_Doll
02-28-2019, 10:03 AM

Sorry!

such a shame how the devs have messed up this game... they keep saying they are listening to the players but doing the exact opposite :confused:

Sweaty_Sock
02-28-2019, 10:12 AM

Sorry!

Can you at least help out the characters that now cant kill enough minions to be worth pushing B - playing warden its now pointless even with the feat specifically for it (zone gets at best 4 minions, and this takes running into the middle of groups and taking alot of hits... his attacks are to precise so only get 1-2 a pop meanwhile BP can almost clear the whoole point with a single running attack and side heavy then heal in all guard....)

Gastgrinder
02-28-2019, 09:21 PM

Sorry!

Any questions?
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/764896815834492388/4ADDAA7DD86A0CB849C58520AECB4055CF200295/

RenegadeRasta
03-01-2019, 12:04 AM

Sorry!

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAthetic. Ubisoft is trash. From making the ****tiest of decisions to catering to a crowd of morons who don't even play your games. You take away the good things and give us things that nobody asked for. You are idiots.

Continue adding more **** to this trash mountain of a game. Cuz eventually, it's gonna burn to the ground, and the stink will ascend to the Heavens. God's gonna smell your **** and he'll be like "What's that smell?... Oh, it's Ubisoft." Then he just smites that **** away, like it never should have existed in the first place.

Sayonara.

Real_Doll
03-01-2019, 06:22 AM
PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAthetic. Ubisoft is trash. From making the ****tiest of decisions to catering to a crowd of morons who don't even play your games. You take away the good things and give us things that nobody asked for. You are idiots.

Continue adding more **** to this trash mountain of a game. Cuz eventually, it's gonna burn to the ground, and the stink will ascend to the Heavens. God's gonna smell your **** and he'll be like "What's that smell?... Oh, it's Ubisoft." Then he just smites that **** away, like it never should have existed in the first place.

Sayonara.

I just get this feeling that the devs are on a mission to ruin this game as much as they can... like wtf is even going on with them. This is the first time I've ever seen this.

I mean look at games like Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Battlefield V...... and even Anthem (though it's currently ****) they are working on making them better... but with For Honor??? what the hell is going on?

Ubi-Jimothy
03-01-2019, 10:42 AM
I just get this feeling that the devs are on a mission to ruin this game as much as they can... like wtf is even going on with them. This is the first time I've ever seen this.

I mean look at games like Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Battlefield V...... and even Anthem (though it's currently ****) they are working on making them better... but with For Honor??? what the hell is going on?

For Honor has been worked on consistently, and will continue to be worked on just like the games you mentioned above. We've had lots of balancing changes, game mode additions, new characters, maps, Dedicated Servers (which was a huge task on it's own), and yet we're not supporting the game?

I get that you don't like certain features, but in the case of the minion kill animations, we've given our answer from the development side. I understand that it may not be to everyone's tastes, but please don't disparage the hard work of the team over these past two years over a single feature.

RealJayDee1984
03-01-2019, 01:48 PM
I get that you don't like certain features, but in the case of the minion kill animations, we've given our answer from the development side. I understand that it may not be to everyone's tastes, but please don't disparage the hard work of the team over these past two years over a single feature.
I absolutely appreciate the work the team puts into the game. Still it's really hard to appreciate the seemingly needless removal of a well-liked feature.

I get that it means a lot less work for the introduction of new heroes (Wu Lin and forward), and I might have even grudgingly accepted that as the official reasoning, but overall this remains by far the worst, weakest development in FH history imo.

Kryltic
03-01-2019, 01:53 PM
I absolutely appreciate the work the team puts into the game. Still it's really hard to appreciate the seemingly needless removal of a well-liked feature.

I get that it means a lot less work for the introduction of new heroes (Wu Lin and forward), and I might have even grudgingly accepted that as the official reasoning, but overall this remains by far the worst, weakest development in FH history imo.

It wasn't a needless remove, it was very much needed to not only make breach minions viable and actually different (not just the Halloween event ones) but also to allow some characters to actually kill minions and participate in breach.

Tundra 793
03-01-2019, 02:24 PM
It's both singularly impressive and soul-crushing that for the first time in recent memory, one of the forum Community guys actually chased down a developer, and put him in a headlock (I assume that's how offices work) until he gave up an answer to a hot forum topic.
And how crushing that the answer was basically "lol, naw".

For further context, I just want to point out that the minion-killing animations still work in Story mode. Anyone remember that also exists?

bannex19
03-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Implement a game mode that utilizes them.

#mindblown

Vendelkin
03-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Nice thought bannex. Yeah they could be reimplemented in skirmish if not dominion. And an alternate game mode could be an option

RazireKVD
03-02-2019, 02:20 AM
You will never be able to put this topic to rest.
You had an interesting feature with the minion kills, and then you tossed it away for a crappy, boring, same-as-every-other-game, hack-and-slash style snooze-fest for killing minions.
You guys have done great things with For Honor. This is not one of them, and the devs seem downright dismissive and disrespectful of the fans that want the animations back.

bannex19
03-02-2019, 04:35 AM
You will never be able to put this topic to rest.
You had an interesting feature with the minion kills, and then you tossed it away for a crappy, boring, same-as-every-other-game, hack-and-slash style snooze-fest for killing minions.
You guys have done great things with For Honor. This is not one of them, and the devs seem downright dismissive and disrespectful of the fans that want the animations back.

I personally enjoyed a lot of the animations however I'm not delusional in my understanding of how the minion animations make little sense in the game anymore. The problem isn't the animations for me.

The problem is that MINIONS AREN'T FUN TO KILL. The animations at least had a brutal execution you could look at. Now all minions do is **** up your fight and get in the way.

Fine leave the animations out but figure out how to make minions more interesting to kill.

Real_Doll
03-03-2019, 12:46 PM
For Honor has been worked on consistently, and will continue to be worked on just like the games you mentioned above. We've had lots of balancing changes, game mode additions, new characters, maps, Dedicated Servers (which was a huge task on it's own), and yet we're not supporting the game?

A lot of people are not happy with the direction the game heading in with Marching Fire, it sort of rendered the vanilla heroes a bit useless. Also the whole gear stats being replaced with perks divided the community.

if there was a vote for keeping breach mode or bringing back minion kill animations I have a strong feeling the majority of the community will vote to bring back the killing animations.

anyway, sorry for my heated words in my initial post. I know the devs have put their heart and soul into the making the game, and they did a pretty damn good job at it too. I just think with some balance and mechanics changes For Honor can make a come back again "fingers crossed"

rottmeister
03-03-2019, 04:26 PM
if there was a vote for keeping breach mode or bringing back minion kill animations I have a strong feeling the majority of the community will vote to bring back the killing animations.

I doubt that the majority would vote against a game mode people have wanted ever since the game was anounced in favor of a feature in dominion/Skirmish/Arcade. I certainly wouldn't give up Breach for some animations. Please don't suggest to remove an amazing game mode like Breach just because you'd rather have minion kill animations, that's kind of selfish. However the answers the devs have given are a bit weird. They wanted to reach uniformity across all game modes, but there isn't such uniformity? Minions in Dominion don't take multiple hits to kill, captains in Skirmish/Arcade can't be executed and so on...

I don't see why they couldn't just re-add them for Dominion/Skirmish/Arcade considering there's barely any 'uniformity'.

Mia.Nora
03-04-2019, 06:46 AM
I doubt that the majority would vote against a game mode people have wanted ever since the game was anounced in favor of a feature in dominion/Skirmish/Arcade. I certainly wouldn't give up Breach for some animations. Please don't suggest to remove an amazing game mode like Breach just because you'd rather have minion kill animations, that's kind of selfish. However the answers the devs have given are a bit weird. They wanted to reach uniformity across all game modes, but there isn't such uniformity? Minions in Dominion don't take multiple hits to kill, captains in Skirmish/Arcade can't be executed and so on...

I don't see why they couldn't just re-add them for Dominion/Skirmish/Arcade considering there's barely any 'uniformity'.

real answer is they didn't want to spend more money on new minion kill animations for all 4 wulin, or simply they ****ed up their deadlines and couldn't finish them. So their solution was to disable minion kill animations for other chars.

CoyoteXStarrk
03-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Its just really disheartening to hear that the Dev team knows that the community misses the feature and wants it back, but simply doesn't care what the community has to say about it.

Real_Doll
03-05-2019, 07:40 AM
Its just really disheartening to hear that the Dev team knows that the community misses the feature and wants it back, but simply doesn't care what the community has to say about it.

I've been wondering the same :confused:

this actually reminds me of the whole TTK/TTD issue that was there in Battlefield V. The majority of the players who wanted the change were the ones who were vocal on Reddit..because yeah they want everything watered down to suit them. However a couple of days after the change was made the devs went and scrapped the whole thing and reverted the changes because they realized that's not what the majority of the players wanted.

Devs need to realize reddit is not the majority of the fan/player base.. it's just a small, vocal circle jerk.

Ubi-Jimothy
03-05-2019, 10:10 AM

I get where you're coming from, but it's not simply a case of 'Community wants X, therefore X is the best way to do it'. We're always gathering and listening to your feedback (many changes and feature additions have been made based off community feedback, look at Breach for example), but sometimes certain implementations just wouldn't work for the direction that the team are aiming for.

It's also not a matter of not caring, as Stefan has said before, there's reasoning behind the decision to not bring them back. Of course, we want to provide the best experience for everyone involved, and we can still talk about the topic, but our designers are professionals and they have ideas that may require things like the removal of animations as stepping stones to achieve.

Mia.Nora
03-06-2019, 06:26 AM
Of course, we want to provide the best experience for everyone involved, and we can still talk about the topic, but our designers are professionals and they have ideas that may require things like the removal of animations as stepping stones to achieve.

Lol professionals. Very definition of a professional is someone who gets paid for the job they do. Hire a monkey and start paying it, it becomes a professional.

And yes, I am writing this because your message was intended to say "our designers are professionals, UNLIKE you so STFU" even if you will come and say that never was the intention behind that words.

Real_Doll
03-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Lol professionals. Very definition of a professional is someone who gets paid for the job they do. Hire a monkey and start paying it, it becomes a professional.

And yes, I am writing this because your message was intended to say "our designers are professionals, UNLIKE you so STFU" even if you will come and say that never was the intention behind that words.

why not just tell us the truth.. the animations were removed because the team decided it wasn't worth putting in the effort to make new ones for the new heroes... because it's really hard to believe they were removed to make room for something else? :confused:

the whole approach to this topic has been shady, the responses have been shady, it's like the people who truly care for For Honor and still would like to see it become something great are seen as the bad guys now..

instead we got a bunch of idiots on reddit who are just all about memes and would jump ship and move on from game to game crying and whining till every game is dumbed down and ruined to suit their needs are the ones the devs seem to listen and seem to want to cater to.

MrBeave
03-06-2019, 11:59 PM
we want to provide the best experience for everyone involved.

THEN BRING BACK THE DAMN MINION EXECUTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! Usually 'the best experience' doesn't mean cutting one of the best parts of the game from the beginning to make room for a blander/worse experience. Who actually asked for Pikemen?!?!? NO BODY! Who asked to spend money on a game only to have aspects of it cut out for crap reasons? NO ONE!

A "stepping stone" to achieve what? Fan anger? Good job, stepping stone achieved.

mann61299
03-07-2019, 03:34 AM
Can you at least help out the characters that now cant kill enough minions to be worth pushing B - playing warden its now pointless even with the feat specifically for it (zone gets at best 4 minions, and this takes running into the middle of groups and taking alot of hits... his attacks are to precise so only get 1-2 a pop meanwhile BP can almost clear the whoole point with a single running attack and side heavy then heal in all guard....)

Yeah, I had my Warden at rep60 prior to marching fire, but stopped using him when it was released. I used to control B and help at points, but now he's bad at B and I just ended up sitting on a point instead. He's so awkward in B now without the animations...and actually BP can even quickly clear B using just lights.

MrSupahDood
03-07-2019, 04:45 AM
The problem that we all have with For Honor is that the Minions are absolutely horrible as enemies now. When we still had the minion-killing executions, they were fun to fight against. I could not care less about the complaints of how "they took too long" and made players slow down. This is nothing like Dynasty Warriors; speed should not be the main priority when clearing them. It's the fun-factor that matters most; everything else should come second. Don't ruin the experience for the rest of us just because some people only care about points and and nothing else when it comes to minions.

Fighting and killing Minions has become bland and boring in Dominion and Skirmish. The in-lock chains are not fun to look at while killing Minions; they're, again, bland and boring at best. The chains are also far too short out-of-lock, especially for the Heavies. Personally, I find the ones in Breach to be frustrating and infuriating, as I've already said before. They take twice as long to kill and, as I've already said, can easily take down a player when that person is already preoccupied with enemy heroes.

The Fighting Game aspects of For Honor have also become far too heavy, as I've already said. Fighting Games are like a stick of gum: they're pleasant and provide a great "sensation" so-to-speak at first. Then, after a certain amount of time, they lose their "flavor" and the enjoyable sensation they provided fades away. As unique and interesting as "The Art of Battle" is, it gets kind of boring after a while at best and frustrating at worst, when used again and again and again. For Honor's gameplay needs to be balanced out with more Action-genre combat mechanics. Adding in combat mechanics for usage against smaller enemies like what the Batman: Arkham franchise, Ryse: Son of Rome (to an extent), Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/War, or even the Assassin's Creed franchise from the first game to Black Flag would make for a great replacement for the previous minion-killing animations mechanics, being both useful and also a lot of fun. The mechanics I'm referring to are longer chains for killing more than 2-3 minions at a time, counter kills for preventing damage to one's self and dishing it out on enemy Minions, and special executions against Minions, being able to execute 2-3 at most.

For those who feel tempted to say, "It's a Fighting Game; this is a stupid idea," For Honor was never meant to be a straight-up Fighting Game. Just look at everything Story Mode has for all the proof you need. It must not degrade into something so single-noted, that it's just going to turn people off, especially those of us that play noncompetitively, myself included. Breach Mode has succeeded in reinforcing a very small amount of For Honor's Action-genre elements. What happened with the Minions caused the devs to drop the ball.

For those who might bring up speed and maximum efficiency again, bear one thing in mind: the rest of us don't care about that. All we want is to have fun while playing something that is supposed to be fun. If we're not having fun, then there is absolutely no point in playing this video game at all. If we're not having fun, then it's not worth our time and energy. That hurts the game and reflects poorly on the devs. A lot of us want as little to do with the competition aspects of For Honor as possible. All I personally want to do in that respect is to support my faction in the Faction War; that's all. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't care what the devs need to do in order to implement these changes. If they need to add in a completely new mode that's separate from Multiplayer Mode, then so be it. If they can make it work in Multiplayer (which I firmly believe they can), that would be great; ideal, even. I just want to go back to having fun with For Honor. I put a lot of time and a fairly decent money investment into For Honor and right now, it feels like the pay-off is far too little. Also, as I said before, the game has a lot of potential to it. For Honor can become one of the greatest games on current gen. consoles if the devs implement the right stuff to it. Not just for Fighting Game fans and competitive people, but also for those of us that put having fun first and don't care about competing with others.

Real_Doll
03-07-2019, 12:27 PM
seems like one by one the FH dev team is disbanding... tbh for For Honor the light seems to be fading.

LionsFang78
03-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Look, the minion kill animations were undoubtedly cool and all, but they weren't what people play For Honor for. It felt awkward without them at first, but I'm glad they're gone now. Minion clearing became so much easier for many heroes. Cent used to have it so rough that in the time it took for him to kill two minions via the animations, you had enough time to have a cup of coffee and watch the entire Godfather trilogy. Many heroes suffered from bugs during the animations as well that made it even more frustrating

I kind of miss them, but at the same time good riddance. I was tired of locking onto nobody just so I could kill minions at a decent rate. People generally want to kill minions quickly, take the zone and get back to the awesome and unique PvP that the game is played for. The dev team should focus their attention on balancing the heroes before adding these animations back

RealJayDee1984
03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
People generally want to kill minions quickly, take the zone and get back to the awesome and unique PvP that the game is played for.
I would've dearly liked to see some kind of poll on what "people generally want" in terms of minion slaughter. I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen more than the odd, single complaint about specific heroes in that regard. The animations could have been getting some updates over time, sure, but overall they actually were a feature, not a bug.

LionsFang78
03-07-2019, 05:09 PM
My point is that few people, if any, played For Honor to kill minions. Whether or not people play PvP or PvAI, they play to fight and kill other heroes. Like I said, I liked the feature too, but the game isn't really hurt by Ubi removing it.

And the bugs I was referring to was not the animations themselves, but bugs that could happen during the animations. Some heroes would kill a minion, then get a bug that made them act as though they've been shoved (Cent and Raider had it the worst, if I remember correctly). It essentially made it impossible to see anything but the very first minion kill animation

Killing minions with normal moves may look kinda sloppy, but from a gameplay perspective it works much better. I support Ubi's decision 100% here

Sweaty_Sock
03-08-2019, 02:38 AM
Killing minions with normal moves may look kinda sloppy, but from a gameplay perspective it works much better. I support Ubi's decision 100% here

Then how come its now no longer viable to push mid with warden... his attacks are too precise and get 1-2 only, his zone to stamina hungry (even with applicable feat)

Just a suggestion:
CAN WE HAVE MINION KILLING ANIMATIONS LINKED TO THE LVL 1 FEAT THAT LETS YOU GET HP/STAMINA BACK FROM KILLING MINIONS (in essence making them mini executions)

LionsFang78
03-08-2019, 04:48 AM
Wardens side lights and side heavies are pretty decent at clearing them, if anything he kills minions faster now than he did with the animations

I do like the idea of the animations being linked to the feat though, minion executions would be a pretty neat concept

Real_Doll
03-08-2019, 05:20 AM
Wardens side lights and side heavies are pretty decent at clearing them, if anything he kills minions faster now than he did with the animations

I do like the idea of the animations being linked to the feat though, minion executions would be a pretty neat concept

you must be playing a different game from everyone else then... because after the change minion killing is slow and tedious af with every hero.

with the animations it was fluid, faster and satisfying. now most of the time you click a light to hit a minion the character is swinging their weapons either in the complete opposite direction of the minions or in thin air.

Monsieur Samson
03-08-2019, 11:28 AM
I've just gotten the game so I've never played with minion killing animations...so I don't really miss them ;)
I've seen them in Story mode, and the're nice , I understand why you want them back.

Shoguki with his slow attacks makes clearing minions really painful...but being able to regain health by demon embracing them is quite handy.
On the other hand, Valkyrie wrecks grouped minions...it makes clearing B in Dominion rather satisfying in fact.
Gladiator kills them fast enough with his light attacks and huge stamina...but I agree it's not as stylish as specific animations...

LionsFang78
03-08-2019, 03:01 PM
We must be playing different games indeed, I find it much easier to clear minions now with warden than before. Two side lights and a heavy finisher is enough to clear almost a quarter of the minions in some cases (depending on the map it's enough to kill almost every minion), all in the same time it would take warden to kill 3 minions with the kill animations. Their removal was especially helpful to Cent, who would sometimes take a full minute to slice the throat of an individual minion.

The animations definitely felt more fluid, they were satisfying to watch as well, but I'd argue that it's far more satisfying using standard moves that hit 10+ minions at a time. Feels quicker and more satisfying to me

Kadete93
03-08-2019, 03:16 PM
I remember when i was playing Kensei and chose to do those animations, even if with a zone attack i could kill the minions faster.. So funny

Real_Doll
03-09-2019, 06:39 AM
I remember when i was playing Kensei and chose to do those animations, even if with a zone attack i could kill the minions faster.. So funny

yeah it was definitely faster when the animations were active. the people saying it's faster now must be on crack or something.

Sweaty_Sock
03-09-2019, 09:24 AM
We must be playing different games indeed, I find it much easier to clear minions now with warden than before. Two side lights and a heavy finisher is enough to clear almost a quarter of the minions in some cases (depending on the map it's enough to kill almost every minion), all in the same time it would take warden to kill 3 minions with the kill animations. Their removal was especially helpful to Cent, who would sometimes take a full minute to slice the throat of an individual minion.

The animations definitely felt more fluid, they were satisfying to watch as well, but I'd argue that it's far more satisfying using standard moves that hit 10+ minions at a time. Feels quicker and more satisfying to me

You could still do standard attacks on minions just by locking on... the animations were unlock. Two side lights kills two minions, one side heave gets 1-2 more. Thats 4 minions for about 30% your stamina... and I'm sorry but I dont under stand how the map is relevant given they all stand bunched in a giant empty box half the time?

I have a Rep 69 warden and killed ALOT of minions (pushing B used to be my main objective for what.. two years?). I can tell you its less effective as the old light heavy combo (he used to do a tracking spin and get 4-5 on the heavy...)

Vakris_One
03-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Your understanding of what a proffessional means is very lacking. Picking up a paycheque makes you a worker but it does not automatically make you a proffessional. A proffessional is someone who has built up a lot of experience in the job that they do and/or is qualified to do that specific job, i.e. has a certified degree in that area. Meaning a proffessional is not an amateur.

Being a proffessional also means that they have proven themselves to be a reliable and competent worker in their particular field of expertise and posess a strong work ethic. Meaning they are engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation and are considered to be very dedicated or/and experienced in that field.

Paying a monkey to wear a suit and press buttons every day does not make it a proffessional. Paying a monkey to chuck poop at passersby; an activity the monkey is infinitely experienced at, now that could qualify the monkey as a proffessional :)

That's just you projecting your own internal bias onto a neutral statement. Nowhere is it even remotely implied "UNLIKE you!". That's entirely coming from you. The intention of that statement was clear as crystal. It meant to express that the dev team are not amateurs and this change was not an accident, it was planned for. That's all.

Also you, and pretty much everyone else here, has glossed over the last part of that sentence:

"...but our designers are professionals and they have ideas that may require things like the removal of animations as stepping stones to achieve."

Note the phrase, "as stepping stones to achieve."

So this tells us the dev team wanted to do this as part of a plan, a stepping stone. A stepping stone towards what though? Is this the final step or will there be more? What is the final goal the devs want to work towards?

Ubi-Jimothy never said anything more because nobody asked him about it. Everybody was/still is too busy jumping down his throat for simply relaying a message from Stephan whom Jimothy chased down, on the community's behalf, for an answer. And all anybody here can do is continue to b**ch and moan and hyper-dramatise the whole situation.

The folks who care about this really need to ask themselves one thing. Do you want more communication as to what the developer's plan is going forward? Or do you want to continue beating a dead horse and venting uselessly about it?

RealJayDee1984
03-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Let's keep things polite, yes? Wouldn't want this to get closed down because of anything.

MrSupahDood
03-10-2019, 02:50 AM
Let's keep things polite, yes? Wouldn't want this to get closed down because of anything.

I concur. There's no need for things to get heated; it won't get us anywhere and will do far more harm than good for us. Also, just as a reminder to everyone, please keep in mind that this particular forum is about the Minions and the combat mechanics against them; anything outside of that must be related back to the main topic.

That being said, it's pretty clear that the Minion-killing animations will never be coming back ever again. Because of this, a new combat system for usage against Minions is needed to replace it, since what we have now (the matching in-and-out-of-lock chains) is just not fun at all. This synchronized system also has its own fair share of problems and annoyances, which is all the more reason why this game needs a new system to take its place. I provided my own suggestions in a couple of my previous postings, with the latest being the most in-depth, on this forum if anyone is interested in viewing them. Now, I'm kicking the ball to you guys: what changes do you all want to see in the combat system, specifically against Minions? It would be really great to hear from as many of you as possible on this matter.

Mia.Nora
03-10-2019, 05:13 AM
Also you, and pretty much everyone else here, has glossed over the last part of that sentence:
Note the phrase, "as stepping stones to achieve."

So this tells us the dev team wanted to do this as part of a plan, a stepping stone. A stepping stone towards what though? Is this the final step or will there be more? What is the final goal the devs want to work towards?

I will ignore the part about your interpretation of what a professional is, because while in a story context it sounds nice; in real industry standards what I said holds %100 true. A game developer who gets paid to do the very same thing is a professional compared to a game developer who works on a projects in his free time.

But I will ask you this; Do you genuinely believe that something else was planned ahead of the removal of minion kill animations. Do not play around the words, this is a very simple yes and no question. I am pretty sure we both know what the answer is.

Sweaty_Sock
03-10-2019, 02:47 PM
I will ignore the part about your interpretation of what a professional is, because while in a story context it sounds nice; in real industry standards what I said holds %100 true. A game developer who gets paid to do the very same thing is a professional compared to a game developer who works on a projects in his free time.

But I will ask you this; Do you genuinely believe that something else was planned ahead of the removal of minion kill animations. Do not play around the words, this is a very simple yes and no question. I am pretty sure we both know what the answer is.

Politicians are paid professionals & they are all 100% awsome

Kadete93
03-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Imagine how awesome would be to kill a pikeman with those cool animations

Vakris_One
03-10-2019, 05:20 PM
I'm going to have to just as respectfully ignore your own personal interpretation of what a proffessional is Mia simply because I happen to have first hand experience of these "real industry standards". Could be a matter of having different standards in different countries maybe.

Anywho, as to your question; I genuinley think they removed the minion kill animations because it's easier to not have to worry about them going forward. I don't know what might be planned because I'm not privvy to the FH team's internal communications. That's why I suggested that we should be asking this question instead of beating a dead horse and getting in petty yet imputent little snipes at the people on the dev team.

Based on the fact that they revealed they want to make the Ballista in Dominion do the same damage on players as the Ballista in Breach I can only assume they want to normalise as many things as they can across the modes. Perhaps this is their plan to keep the population count for Breach as close to Dominion as possible by thinking that players otherwise can't grasp the nuances between the two modes? Who knows. That's why we should keep asking.

LionsFang78
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
I mained warden and pushed B for two years as well, rep 40 on console and rep 33 on pc. A warden that pushes B should never run out of stamina after getting the level 1 feat that restores health and stamina on a minion kill, which most wardens run in dominion since his other level 1 feats are underwhelming

It was possible to lock on and skip the animations, but then you'd be locked into facing one direction which was awkward. Also if someone was there to contest you it'd lock into them, which could be a problem sometimes. There'd be times where I'd fight someone at B, get them into the critical state causing them to back off, then instead of having a distant staring contest I'd go back to killing minions to finish taking the zone and to heal up. A bit hard to do if I keep locking onto the character 20 feet away

And the map can make quite the difference. Some maps have fewer minions that bunch up tightly, whereas they're spread out and in bigger numbers in others (I'd give examples but the names of every map escape me at the moment). On some maps a wardens zone attack can clear dann near all of them, much quicker than what the kill animations would do

Kadete93
03-11-2019, 04:25 PM
even if it was slower i liked to kill minions with the animations just cause it was cool.. sometimes you don't care about performance and you just want to have fun..

LionsFang78
03-11-2019, 04:59 PM
And that's a fair enough reason to want them back. In my eyes the devs have given their reason as to why they removed them and I've accepted that, justifying it to myself that it's faster to clear minions without the animations anyway, I figured that less dev time spent making the animations for new and upcoming heroes can be spent elsewhere anyway.

I'm not extremely upset that they're gone, but I get why it may not sit well with some. At the end of the day we play For Honor to kill other heroes though, not necessarily to mow down minions. If the animations come back cool, but if not that's fine. I'd enjoy it if they made a comeback with a twist, such as linking it to the feat that gives health and stamina from killing minions (body count, I think it's called?). That way it's sort of like you're executing minions for health just as we execute other players. Not every hero has access to that feat, but I think it'd be a neat feature regardless

CrusadingSoul
04-24-2019, 05:05 AM
Couldn't agree any more. I've been saying it for ages, they should bring these back ASAP. I don't even care if they don't bring them into Breach, I don't need them in Breach. Even if we only get them in Dominion, I just want the minion kills, damn it. I hate doing PvP, I hate the hatemail from the sweaties if you ledge them on accident or if you win with an attack they don't consider "honorable". Killing the individual minions was such an awesome thing when they all had those unique animations.

CravenExtrez
04-25-2019, 09:16 AM
What a shame that they removed it. Any new plans for the minions?

Knight_Raime
04-25-2019, 10:07 AM
What a shame that they removed it. Any new plans for the minions?

I can't site this as I don't remember where I read it. But I heard they were going to update the minion's visually. Beyond that I don't think anything else has been mentioned regarding them.
Personally the only thing that i'm bothered about from the unique animation removals is that in most cases lights or heavies are better at clearing minions than zones.

At least a lot of zone hitboxes seem really off and won't hit multiple minions unless you're surrounded by them.

CravenExtrez
04-25-2019, 10:50 AM
I can't site this as I don't remember where I read it. But I heard they were going to update the minion's visually. Beyond that I don't think anything else has been mentioned regarding them.
Personally the only thing that i'm bothered about from the unique animation removals is that in most cases lights or heavies are better at clearing minions than zones.

At least a lot of zone hitboxes seem really off and won't hit multiple minions unless you're surrounded by them.

True, I hope there is a new thing coming or some compensation at least.

The...DEvil
09-09-2019, 09:00 PM
The problem that we all have with For Honor is that the Minions are absolutely horrible as enemies now. When we still had the minion-killing executions, they were fun to fight against. I could not care less about the complaints of how "they took too long" and made players slow down. This is nothing like Dynasty Warriors; speed should not be the main priority when clearing them. It's the fun-factor that matters most; everything else should come second. Don't ruin the experience for the rest of us just because some people only care about points and and nothing else when it comes to minions.

Fighting and killing Minions has become bland and boring in Dominion and Skirmish. The in-lock chains are not fun to look at while killing Minions; they're, again, bland and boring at best. The chains are also far too short out-of-lock, especially for the Heavies. Personally, I find the ones in Breach to be frustrating and infuriating, as I've already said before. They take twice as long to kill and, as I've already said, can easily take down a player when that person is already preoccupied with enemy heroes.

The Fighting Game aspects of For Honor have also become far too heavy, as I've already said. Fighting Games are like a stick of gum: they're pleasant and provide a great "sensation" so-to-speak at first. Then, after a certain amount of time, they lose their "flavor" and the enjoyable sensation they provided fades away. As unique and interesting as "The Art of Battle" is, it gets kind of boring after a while at best and frustrating at worst, when used again and again and again. For Honor's gameplay needs to be balanced out with more Action-genre combat mechanics. Adding in combat mechanics for usage against smaller enemies like what the Batman: Arkham franchise, Ryse: Son of Rome (to an extent), Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/War, or even the Assassin's Creed franchise from the first game to Black Flag would make for a great replacement for the previous minion-killing animations mechanics, being both useful and also a lot of fun. The mechanics I'm referring to are longer chains for killing more than 2-3 minions at a time, counter kills for preventing damage to one's self and dishing it out on enemy Minions, and special executions against Minions, being able to execute 2-3 at most.

For those who feel tempted to say, "It's a Fighting Game; this is a stupid idea," For Honor was never meant to be a straight-up Fighting Game. Just look at everything Story Mode has for all the proof you need. It must not degrade into something so single-noted, that it's just going to turn people off, especially those of us that play noncompetitively, myself included. Breach Mode has succeeded in reinforcing a very small amount of For Honor's Action-genre elements. What happened with the Minions caused the devs to drop the ball.

For those who might bring up speed and maximum efficiency again, bear one thing in mind: the rest of us don't care about that. All we want is to have fun while playing something that is supposed to be fun. If we're not having fun, then there is absolutely no point in playing this video game at all. If we're not having fun, then it's not worth our time and energy. That hurts the game and reflects poorly on the devs. A lot of us want as little to do with the competition aspects of For Honor as possible. All I personally want to do in that respect is to support my faction in the Faction War; that's all. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't care what the devs need to do in order to implement these changes. If they need to add in a completely new mode that's separate from Multiplayer Mode, then so be it. If they can make it work in Multiplayer (which I firmly believe they can), that would be great; ideal, even. I just want to go back to having fun with For Honor. I put a lot of time and a fairly decent money investment into For Honor and right now, it feels like the pay-off is far too little. Also, as I said before, the game has a lot of potential to it. For Honor can become one of the greatest games on current gen. consoles if the devs implement the right stuff to it. Not just for Fighting Game fans and competitive people, but also for those of us that put having fun first and don't care about competing with others.

They can't be executed, they interrupt revives, they interrupt executions....
The minions have become little ****s, aren't they....

papa_joseph1
09-10-2019, 03:44 AM

Sorry!

Good job, ignoring something the community wants badly in a game that is already having issues sustaining it's player base.

It's somehow our fault that the Dev's can't balance minion killing animations?

DeamonXII
09-11-2019, 09:47 AM
#devdoesn'tcare

Maldreador
09-11-2019, 05:36 PM
I agree completely. Minion animations and domination endscenes were my favorite aspects of PVP. I would spend hours at a time playing as various characters I was terrible as just to enjoy the hilarious and various ways of slaughtering minions. Signatures just don't have the same satisfaction after a win, or provide the same motivation to bounce back after a loss than the domination endscenes did. Also, many of them are so similar across different characters that they get rather repetitive. Before, I could spend 4 to 5 hours at a time playing and never getting bored. Now, without them, i typically just limit myself to several PVC duels and one or two rounds of arcade before I get bored and stop playing.

Bring these things back!!!

THE PUBLIC HAS SPOKEN!!!! (MANY TIMES)

J2skarz
09-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Sorry!

I have a simple suggestion, make character's swing cause minions to topple like bowling pins ;)

Really though, miss the minion animations and agree with alot of points. I think the dev's whole point of it getting in the way of the new pikemen minions in breach is fine, except I really don't think the majority of the player-base think of Dominion as some sort of die-hard competitive mode, so I don't see why in the 4v4 modes (i.e. Dominion and the long-forgotten Tribute) they can't just be put back in.

Another suggestion while writing - Like ubi did with testing grounds, just add a new version of Dominion called "Legendary Dominion" or some other fancy name and put the minion anims back in with some other tweaks to make another fun game mode. That way, nothing gets lost from the existing game and the whole discussion of "maintaining balance, out of lock etc." can be effectively side-stepped.

DeamonXII
09-12-2019, 08:37 PM
I wonder if they want to destroy this game.

The...DEvil
09-13-2019, 10:39 PM
I refuse to believe they did this intentionally for the reasons they mentioned. They don't make any sense. There must be a solid reason why they did it and why is taking them so long to bring them back

Real_Doll
09-14-2019, 10:20 AM
I refuse to believe they did this intentionally for the reasons they mentioned. They don't make any sense. There must be a solid reason why they did it and why is taking them so long to bring them back

well pal, it's cause they couldn't be bothered to put in the work to create new minion killing animations for breach and also they didn't want to put in the time to make new animations for the new heroes in marching fire and year 3.

The...DEvil
09-14-2019, 05:28 PM
well pal, it's cause they couldn't be bothered to put in the work to create new minion killing animations for breach and also they didn't want to put in the time to make new animations for the new heroes in marching fire and year 3.

They made animations when the heroes from year 2 came out. Why wouldn't they now, I wonder. Also pikemen take more than 1 hit to take down, so I don't think animations for them will work like the others.

TOCKSYK
09-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Sorry!

why not make it so if the minion is one hit away from death you do a cool animation on it. This would make so people use their zones for clearing, and we would have characters that have good zones for clearing and good zones for combat. this way if, let's say, the highlander is clearing B, Gladiator/Black Prior (insert weak clearing zone character here) can concentrate on other objectives

Dominion minions being always 1 hit away from death, you can choose to kill them with an animation or via zone, and Pikemen would really only be cleared with powerful zones anyway to avoid excessive damage taken while clearing

Now you might say that ''Well most characters don't have good clearing zones and they have to clear with their heavies'' . True, most of those are Assassins and Hybrids, though some Hybrids have really good clearing zones

I think there should be roles when playing strategically, Having a designated mid clearer that can rotate on objectives is a must, you could argue the same for Breach. Someone clears Ram as the rest of the team fights for objectives, banners, guardian, ballista etc. Of course, the ''Designated clearer'' will get eventually deathballed and killed by 4 man ganks, but you can have a rotation clearer for when that happens, and if they camp Ram you can use Ballista to split them up if you can, or just outsmart them in ganks. If they camp zone B they are losing anyway because that is 2 zones that are unchecked, meaning you can split your forces in 2 zones and really you can't lose all 3 if you know what you're doing

The...DEvil
09-15-2019, 05:49 PM
They can't leave dominion in this state. They just can't! They mustn't!

Knight_Raime
09-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Marching fire heros had minion killing animations. Could probably find footage of it somewhere on the net for people who had access to the heros on the servers pre launch. So it deffinitely wasn't hero based. Adding animations in for pikeman is a plausible reason. But it wouldn't explain why they bothered to make minion kill animations for the MF heros if that was the case since breach came with MF.

IIRC their original reasoning was because the animations themselves were "confusing" because in some cases locking onto nothing to do standard attacks was more efficient at clearing minions then being unlocked for the standard minion animations. It's not like minion clearing efficiency was nerfed across the board by removing them. Personally i'd love to see some of those specific animations come back as new moves for heros.

Would be a nice way to further expand movesets (which we need desperately) and also give more flair/individuality to the hero. Which I believe is the main reason why people miss the animations to begin with.

The...DEvil
09-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Marching fire heros had minion killing animations. Could probably find footage of it somewhere on the net for people who had access to the heros on the servers pre launch. So it deffinitely wasn't hero based. Adding animations in for pikeman is a plausible reason. But it wouldn't explain why they bothered to make minion kill animations for the MF heros if that was the case since breach came with MF.

IIRC their original reasoning was because the animations themselves were "confusing" because in some cases locking onto nothing to do standard attacks was more efficient at clearing minions then being unlocked for the standard minion animations. It's not like minion clearing efficiency was nerfed across the board by removing them. Personally i'd love to see some of those specific animations come back as new moves for heros.

Would be a nice way to further expand movesets (which we need desperately) and also give more flair/individuality to the hero. Which I believe is the main reason why people miss the animations to begin with.

can you find a footage of MF heroes' minion kill animations?

Knight_Raime
09-15-2019, 07:58 PM
can you find a footage of MF heroes' minion kill animations?

I can look. But i'm mainly going off of word of mouth from some people who got to play the pts.
I could be entirely wrong and the main reason was infact due to them not being able to seperate the coding between pikeman in breach and minions in dominion.

The...DEvil
09-15-2019, 08:07 PM
I can look. But i'm mainly going off of word of mouth from some people who got to play the pts.
I could be entirely wrong and the main reason was infact due to them not being able to seperate the coding between pikeman in breach and minions in dominion.

You have solid theories. But I personally think they removed them on purpose due to the rework on the characters. The minion animations correspond with a specific hero's moveset. If they add an additional attack to a hero, there won't be an animation for it. And they couldn't be bothered to change and add animations every time they rework a hero's moveset. So that's why I think they removed them temporarily until they adjust all the heroes and their attacks. And after everything is complete and balanced, they may give the animations back and also add new ones.

Knight_Raime
09-15-2019, 08:23 PM
You have solid theories. But I personally think they removed them on purpose due to the rework on the characters. The minion animations correspond with a specific hero's moveset. If they add an additional attack to a hero, there won't be an animation for it. And they couldn't be bothered to change and add animations every time they rework a hero's moveset. So that's why I think they removed them temporarily until they adjust all the heroes and their attacks. And after everything is complete and balanced, they may give the animations back and also add new ones.

That is an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of. Maybe it's a combination of them overhauling kits plus the difficulty of making said animations be more polished with pikeman.